Another "Owen: is he past it?" thread.. but with a poll

McCormick
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Our best finisher and if we had a good central midfielders who could thread passes and link up with the strikers he would still be deadly.

What does it matter who's foot the ball came from when he missed a tap in from 3 yards (today) & a one-on-one with the keeper (man city) etc? Does it suddenly not count as a chance he should have scored?

Its fair do's not bieng the most deadly ever if he caused other problems and had skillful link up play. But he dosent. He does nothing apart from wait for a chance laid on a plate. But thats the problem, its not like he the amazing finisher he's hyped up to be.

At the end of the day, you can look at it either way.

a) We get rid cos he's s***, no pace, the rest of the team doesn't make chances for him so why don't we play Carroll at least he might knock it down to Smith or Butt to shoot a few times a game. We stay s***.

b) Keep our best goalscorer and try and invest in the team who could make the chances for him. We improve.

Yes, a tad OTT maybe but you don't get better by selling your best players.

Arsenal do it all the time and come back stronger every time. People need to realise it is now years and years ago Owen could justifiably be classed as 'world class'. He is not worth the wages we pay him and he will be another undroppable player when fit, so we'd better hope he starts firing on all cylinders or he will hold us back until his contract expires or some other club takes him off our hands. I fear he's too much of a risk for me, although I appreciate he is easily our best player when at his prime. For all sorts of reasons I don't think he will ever reach that prime with us unfortunately..

Re: best finisher, if I had to give a chance to either Viduka or Owen in the last minute to win a match, these days it would be the big man every single time.

I realise this is a ridiculous hypothetical situation. Us winning a match - bluelaugh.gif

even if it was really cold?

At the end of the day, you can look at it either way.

a) We get rid cos he's s***, no pace, the rest of the team doesn't make chances for him so why don't we play Carroll at least he might knock it down to Smith or Butt to shoot a few times again. We stay s***.

b) Keep our best goalscorer and try and invest in the team who could make the chances for him. We improve.

Yes, a tad OTT maybe but you don't get better by selling your best players.

B) would be a wise option if he wasnt such a crock.

Even if he wasnt a crock and doesnt get any injuries for the forseable future, hes lost too much from his game to warrant his reputation or building a team around him.

35 year old Ian Rush, 34-35 year old Shearer, even 28 year old Robbie Fowler, it doesnt matter how good they were at finishing, they got to a point where they werent able to let the team create chances for them because of their own limitations, and needed chances on a plate to score. And it looks like its slowly getting to that stage with Owen - just look at the difference in the number of chances that hes involved in compared to Martins. He needs to stay fit to prove this isnt the case, in theory he shouldnt be there yet and maybe its just the injuries that are resulting in his poor showing, but otherwise we really must get rid whilst we might get a decent fee for him.

Our best finisher and if we had a good central midfielders who could thread passes and link up with the strikers he would still be deadly.

But he dosent. He does nothing apart from wait for a chance laid on a plate.

common myth tbh, he's lost his pace but he's effective dropping deep and linking up play, very rarely wastes the ball

common myth tbh, he's lost his pace but he's effective dropping deep and linking up play, very rarely wastes the ball

Obviously when all he does is lay the ball off 5 yards. What exactly does he do thats effective when dropping deep, what link up play do you mean? I dont see any clever passes, one-two's, any skill. He can be neat & tidy and thats where it ends really, like a lot of strikers in the league.

Obviously when all he does is lay the ball off 5 yards. What exactly does he do thats effective when dropping deep, what link up play do you mean? I dont see any clever passes, one-two's, any skill. He can be neat & tidy and thats where it ends really, like a lot of strikers in the league.

i see retaining posession, by whatever means he does it he always does it, its not THAT easy mate, it cant be, look at the rest of our team! the problem of course is that once he does drop deep it takes him half an hour to get back up top, all i'm saying is he's not this hands on hips on the edge of the area player that some people try and make him out to be, i'm not saying he's thierry henry

2 Premiership goals in 15 appearances since coming back from his knee injury, both scored with his head.

How much longer can he live off his past reputation now his legs have gone?

The guy really does stink right now.

Now England have a non English manager who isn't biased and who isn't stuck on what Owen used to do let's see how many more caps he gets.

He's a very different player from the one who scored that goal against Argentina. His pace has gone, and although his touch on the ball has improved, the overall package is not worth 100 grand a week.

One of Freddie's sillier decisions, and that's saying something.

At the moment he's not even anywhere near the Owen who burst away to score that hat-trick at West Ham man, which is saying quite a lot.

Another one of our strikers as well at the moment lacking in confidence, when he has played he's been missing chances normally he'd score time after time.

He's a very different player from the one who scored that goal against Argentina. His pace has gone, and although his touch on the ball has improved, the overall package is not worth 100 grand a week.

One of Freddie's sillier decisions, and that's saying something.

Pfft, i'm not convinced with Owen by any means, but i was creaming it along with 90% of Newcastle supporters when we got him. Hindsight's a wonderful thing. Two horrendous injuries in notoriously quick succession is what's damaged him significantly.