Who do you think it'll be ?

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TBH i can see the likes of Redknapp being boo'd at their first game just like Megson was at Bolton. The fans clearly want a big name, all this shit with Mourinho etc has sucked the fans in, someone not much better than Sam would be a disaster, the fans would have NO patience what so ever as he would be seen as not a different calibre to Sam. I still think we need stability, with a high profile manager we have someone who in time will get it right and his reputation should give him time here.

It'd just be so difficult to have faith in the team and the board if Redknapp were to come in. He really has done very little to suggest he is a better bet than Sam. Obviously, if i were to be at Redknapp's debut i wouldn't boo him or anything daft like that, the fans as a group would have to get behind him from the off (an immediate stumbling block), but i'd certainly a lose a lot of hope.

I know this sounds like a wind up question, but it is genuine....  why?

Given its fairly obvious that Redknapp would also be sacked inside of 18 months, since its unlikely he's going to do any better, why not boo him and let the owner know that he's fecked up and has to do better than that?  Getting behind him and backing the appointment will only give Ashley and Mort the delusion they have done the right thing (either in sacking Sam or in appointing Redknapp).

Erm... ???

In spite of the dislike, maybe we wouldn't look like a total and utter embarrassment, and maybe the team and the club would have better fortunes on the whole if we were to cheer them to the heavens every single match? Obviously, that's hypothetical and wouldn't happen, but booing would achieve the sum total of f*** all positive - getting behind the side might.

But every new manager since SBR has been loudly cheered and supported upon appointment.  Souness was cheered because he was going to sort out the egos and get some discipline back in to the side, Roeder was cheered because he wasn't Souness who has having a nightmare, Sam was cheered because he was a dramatic improvement over Roeder.  All of them received good support when they joined, all failed.  Given a good number (including me) obviously feel Redknapp is not better than Sam, why not forget the illusions and just get across the message straight away.  Lets not look at Redknapp standing there, and start cheering him whilst secretly praying to god that a miracle might happen, knowing that's what it will take, and then being here again 6-18 months from now as we discuss the next manager to be joining us..

Bollocks tbh.

If he's shit enough he'll go regardless of whether we sing or boo. I'd rather sing and try and help him be not-shit and help us win games. Booing would achieve absolutely nothing and make us look like a laughing stock of the highest order.

[/soopafan]

... and who is to say what will happen when a manager form a club with "x" spending power steps up to a club with better (hopefully) spending power.

Isn't that the exact same line of thought when Sam and Souness joined us?  Look at what they did with that small club, imagine what they could do at our club with a bigger budget.

So, how'd that work out for you then?

Any reason it won't be the same again this time?

What Souness, Roeder and Allardyce have proven to me is that there are 3 tiers of managers in the EPL.  Those who manage clubs that move between the Championship and the EPL and specialize in getting teams promoted but can't go on with it, those that ensure their clubs stay in the EPL and will play whatever style of football that takes (long-ball, hyper-defensive, conservative, boring), and those that ensure their clubs stay in Europe (attract the super talented players, can spot talent no one else can, maintain an excellent scouting infrastructure, etc...).

None of the managers we have had since SBR have been the type to keep us in Europe, but neither is Redknapp or Hughes.

TBH i can see the likes of Redknapp being boo'd at their first game just like Megson was at Bolton. The fans clearly want a big name, all this shit with Mourinho etc has sucked the fans in, someone not much better than Sam would be a disaster, the fans would have NO patience what so ever as he would be seen as not a different calibre to Sam. I still think we need stability, with a high profile manager we have someone who in time will get it right and his reputation should give him time here.

If given time and money i think Hughes or Redknapp could turn us into a good team on par or better than the likes of Everton, Villa and Man City, but Big Sam might have done the same who knows. We all know they won't get that time before the idiots with their deluded fantasies of Shearer/Mourinho being appointed and instantly turning us into Barcelona are calling for him to be sacked.

I think Redknapp could put together an excellent team if he had the money behind him.

He's bought a lot of physically dominant players with plenty of pace at Pompey, the sort that can play the shit teams off the park and boss the better teams about too, he's also got the balance right throughout which is something Allardyce never looked like doing here.

... and who is to say what will happen when a manager form a club with "x" spending power steps up to a club with better (hopefully) spending power.

Isn't that the exact same line of thought when Sam and Souness joined us?  Look at what they did with that small club, imagine what they could do at our club with a bigger budget.

So, how'd that work out for you then?

Any reason it won't be the same again this time?

What Souness, Roeder and Allardyce have proven to me is that there are 3 tiers of managers in the EPL.  Those who manage clubs that move between the Championship and the EPL and specialize in getting teams promoted but can't go on with it, those that ensure their clubs stay in the EPL and will play whatever style of football that takes (long-ball, hyper-defensive, conservative, boring), and those that ensure their clubs stay in Europe (attract the super talented players, can spot talent no one else can, maintain an excellent scouting infrastructure, etc...).

None of the managers we have had since SBR have been the type to keep us in Europe, but neither is Redknapp or Hughes.

rather them than allardyce from what i've seen...hopefully none of them

If he's s*** enough he'll go regardless of whether we sing or boo. I'd rather sing and try and help him be not-s*** and help us win games. Booing would achieve absolutely nothing and make us look like a laughing stock of the highest order.

So why let it last that long... why delay the inevitable (or the very likely), why not just get on with it and try and make the nightmare stop?

With respect to booing making us look like a laughing stock, I think we've already set new standards for that.  We're already such a joke, booing isn't going to change much.  At least we'd look like we had some clue as to the type of manager we don't need.

I think Redknapp could put together an excellent team if he had the money behind him.

He's bought a lot of physically dominant players with plenty of pace at Pompey, the sort that can play the shit teams off the park and boss the better teams about too, he's also got the balance right throughout which is something Allardyce never looked like doing here.

Fucking hell, Baggio is almost single-handedly making me believe in Redknapp's potential to succeed here.

What worries me is who the hell is advising Mort and Ashley?

Neither were big football fans before now.  I dont condone booing, but if its a shit appointment they should know about it.

One thing th board have to know:

The man appointed can have nothing less than 100% support this time or he is doomed.

If he's s*** enough he'll go regardless of whether we sing or boo. I'd rather sing and try and help him be not-s*** and help us win games. Booing would achieve absolutely nothing and make us look like a laughing stock of the highest order.

So why let it last that long... why delay the inevitable (or the very likely), why not just get on with it and try and make the nightmare stop?

With respect to booing making us look like a laughing stock, I think we've already set new standards for that.  We're already such a joke, booing isn't going to change much.  At least we'd look like we had some clue as to the type of manager we don't need.

oh the booing has been creeping back in for a while,not just at SJP

If given time and money i think Hughes or Redknapp could turn us into a good team on par or better than the likes of Everton, Villa and Man City, but Big Sam might have done the same who knows. We all know they won't get that time before the idiots with their deluded fantasies of Shearer/Mourinho being appointed and instantly turning us into Barcelona are calling for him to be sacked.

There would be a huge backlash from the fans if Hughes or Redknapp are appointed though, while Sam was here he had his haters and his backers and i was a backer myself. To appoint a manager who isnt much better than Sam would be a disaster waiting to happen, if it went tits up like it did for Sam, the usual crowd will want rid and those who backed Sam last time will want rid aswell because they will be thinking "well what the fuck was the point in sacking Sam? who we backed!".

So is the Portsmouth job the first one he's had money to spend then? I assume he never had so much at West Ham..

TBH i can see the likes of Redknapp being boo'd at their first game just like Megson was at Bolton. The fans clearly want a big name, all this s*** with Mourinho etc has sucked the fans in, someone not much better than Sam would be a disaster, the fans would have NO patience what so ever as he would be seen as not a different calibre to Sam. I still think we need stability, with a high profile manager we have someone who in time will get it right and his reputation should give him time here.

There would be a huge backlash from the fans if Hughes or Redknapp are appointed though, while Sam was here he had his haters and his backers and i was a backer myself. To appoint a manager who isnt much better than Sam would be a disaster waiting to happen, if it went tits up like it did for Sam, the usual crowd will want rid and those who backed Sam last time will want rid aswell because they will be thinking "well what the f*** was the point in sacking Sam? who we backed!".

expectations now that we have a billionaire owner....i'd take redkanpp or hughes but would prefer others

Fucking hell, Baggio is almost single-handedly making me believe in Redknapp's potential to succeed here.

Maybe he could, but then maybe Allardyce could have done aswell?

Now that we've cut out one 'maybe' man, why appoint another - who's probably even less likely to? Now we've sacked him we might aswell go all out and bring in someone quality. If we don't manage to get someone quality and end up with a Redknapp, they've fucked up royally imo.

Now that we've cut out one 'maybe' man, why appoint another - who's probably even less likely to? Now we've sacked him we might aswell go all out and bring in someone quality.

Of course Allardyce could have done, but like I said in that other thread, the full story is yet to be told on that score. If Allardyce had lost the players and the fans, for instance, then could he turn it around?

I'm not advocating Redknapp ahead of the likes of Mourinho, Lippi, Scolari (if there is even a remote possibility of us getting somebody to "blow our socks off") but he might be the best we can get.

As you asked who we thought it WOULD be, rather than who each poster wanted, I cannot give a realistic answer. I have already said that my choice would be Mowbray from WBA, but there is almost NO chance of him leaving there at this stage - they are likely to win Promotion to the Prem and the club would be unlikely to agree to him going...also, he has only been there for 15 months.

I also said that I didn't think Mort & Ashley would fire Allardyce until they had a proper replacement lined up or until the end of the season ; well, he HAS gone, so we can only hope that someone is lined up - clearly, they are not going to start until after this week-end, as Pearson is in charge at OT...

The other option is that they HAVE someone lined-up and this person cannot come until next season - and we all know who THAT could be..if that is the case, we may well see a caretaker brought in to keep the club up - I am fairly sure we will get stuffed at OT ; Fergie will want to do his old mate a favour and we need to get out of this losing streak quickly.

Interesting times ahead, but I'm not surprised that he has gone - thought it would be May, though.

He's bought a lot of physically dominant players with plenty of pace at Pompey, the sort that can play the s*** teams off the park and boss the better teams about too, he's also got the balance right throughout which is something Allardyce never looked like doing here.

f****** hell, Baggio is almost single-handedly making me believe in Redknapp's potential to succeed here.

Now that we've cut out one 'maybe' man, why appoint another - who's probably even less likely to? Now we've sacked him we might aswell go all out and bring in someone quality.

Of course Allardyce could have done, but like I said in that other thread, the full story is yet to be told on that score. If Allardyce had lost the players and the fans, for instance, then could he turn it around?

I'm not advocating Redknapp ahead of the likes of Mourinho, Lippi, Scolari (if there is even a remote possibility of us getting somebody to "blow our socks off") but he might be the best we can get.

Sad but possibly true. To be fair he has a good thing going down at pompey dont see why he would want to change that.

On top of that he put together a rock solid back four that are capable of shutting games down when they need to, Campbell and Distin make a great partnership, a good blend of power and pace, much like Dunne and Richards at Man City, he's got good attacking fullbacks that get up and down the pitch well, again because he goes for players with good physical attributes that have the engine for it.

In midfield he had Diop as the rock that can sit back and protect when needed, like Johnson a player that was struggling for form until Harry got him, that allows the likes of Kranjcar and Muntari to go about their job of playing good football and linking up with the front men, something we desperately lack.

Up top he's got a great hold up man in Kanu that was out of form (see Diop and Johnson) and he gets the best out of him by having quick players up with him and keeping the ball on the floor, a style that would bring the best out of Viduka too unless he's got the cash to buy better.

I think he's a good choice and I'll be happy to see us playing good football again.

Putting the style of play completely to one side, how much better off are Portsmouth than us right now, statistically? Points, goals, opposition played so far?

8 points better off and they've only got Man Utd (a) and Chelsea (h) out of the top four left to play.

We've got Man Utd (a) & (h), Arsenal (a), Liverpool (a), Chelsea (h).

They've only scored 4 more goals, but have conceded 13 less, so their goal difference is +17 over ours.

They've got Plymouth (h) in the FA Cup 4th Round, we've potentially got Arsenal (a).

That about sums it up? (Have you looked into this already?)

If we were to swap the clubs around, Portsmouth/Newcastle, i think Redknapp will have been in a very similar situation to what Allardyce was in before he was sacked. Winning a lot of games and doing reasonably well on the face of it... but not scored at home in five games.

He'd be on wafer thin ice.

No, on my phone and just wondered what the gaps were. Cheers.

Are you being dragged into potential optimism about Redknapp as well?

I'm just desperate not be disappointed, personally.

I don't think it'll be Harry Redknapp or Hughes.

The only way that this can be anything short of a total  clusterfuck  is if Ashley already has a big name lined up.

The announcement better "blow our socks off" or the fans will be right to boo.

No excuse for not giving Allardyce time, if you're going to replace him with Redknapp or Hughes. Not excuse for dropping the manager midseason (again) unless you've already got a BIG NAME lined up.