The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Of all the British names mentioned, only Moyes and Redknapp have managed top 5 Premier League finishes.

didnt know Redkanpp has

The simple fact is no english manager is better than Sam and would be totally pointless appointing one

Finished 5th with West Ham, 1998-99.

I said last night that, to me, Redknapp seems one of the most ludicrous suggestions possible. He'd have to be going senile to walk away from Pompey and take this job.

Forgot about the Southampton debacle? 

Hardly comparable.

Wha?  He said he regretted leaving Pompey and don't you think it was mighty stupid of him to switch clubs like that?  You said it seems ludicrous, which it isn't in him coming here.  It's football mate, you can't rule anything out.

He was in turmoil in the months before leaving Pompey and constantly arguing with the chairman over that Croatian bloke. If he hadn't gone to Southampton, he'd probably have ended up leaving anyway.

Now he's got a new chairman, good team, new stadium on the way, plenty of cash and he's in his comfort zone - plus he'll have the advantage of looking on it with an attitude of "once bitten, twice shy."

He'd have to be MENTAL. If it's Redknapp, I'm off down Fenwick's.

I agree he'd be mental to leave, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.  (If it is him, I'll fly over and meet you at Fenwick's) 

I cant see it being any of  Redknapp Hughes MON Moyes

Why pay Sam off for god knows how much and then pay Portsmouth off then all the staff compo etc thats a lot of money to spend on a sideways step that might not work,

A lot would be against them to start with so were back to the Sam signing with  a lot of supporters not prepared to give them time

the only way most would be happy and give time is with a Jose type signing

Redknapp is a bit of aflavour of the month himself, it wasnt long ago that england were after an english manager, i cant remember his name being anywhere near the hat. His stock has basically grown in the past 18 months.

To be honest, if he could replicate the type of football he is playing with Portsmouth over here with a bigger budget then i could support him.

Guest Knightrider

Can I be the first to say it will all end in tears.

Well considering how you stuck up for Souness, Roeder and Allardyce, you being against it is a good an indication as any that he'll succeed.

No more from me. Can't be bothered anymore. All hope, fucking gone. Joke club.

surely not. We can't possibly have someone incompetent again, we've just got rid of the only incompetent chairman in the game

;D

Guest Knightrider

Well considering how you stuck up for Souness, Roeder and Allardyce, you being against it is a good an indication as any that he'll succeed.

No more from me. Can't be bothered anymore. All hope, fucking gone. Joke club.

Btw I was against Souness and Roeder so I got 2 right. The club got Big Sam wrong and we'll find that out with HR if he is to be appointed which I fucking hope not because to sack Big Sam for HR would be some fucking sidestep. His record smacks of "AVERAGE"

I'd rather have Shearer! I'd rather have Jol.

But then I've said for a long time we are an average club so maybe HR is the best we can do.

And if so...

All those that thought because we have a billionaire owner we could attract a top manager... :lol:

Oh and if it is HR, Ashley = clueless.

Guest Knightrider

Out of interest HTT and forgive me if you have already been asked or stated but who would you like to see come in to make this whole thing "worth while"??

I'd have stuck with Big Sam personally because giving him what I imagine the new man will get (time (fans will soon be on his back) and money) would have seen us right, i.e. into the top 6 eventually.

I couldn't say who I'd like because realistically, no-one would say to me that sacking Allardyce was the right decision. Hughes, Moyes, Redknapp?

I'll try and answer your question though. Forget the likes of Mourinho, no point wishing for an impossibility. I'll say Shearer, get it over and done with.

I'm not happy though with NUFC though.

Guest elbee909

surely not. We can't possibly have someone incompetent again, we've just got rid of the only incompetent chairman in the game

;D

Yeah, that's what everyone said.  Sure.

;D

Yeah, that's what everyone said.  Sure.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3000/thiswillnotendwellcatux9.jpg

Redknapp = Hughes = Allardyce.

Seems an awfully abrupt decision to make if we're just going to appoint another guy who's done nothing special over the others.

And I'd be gutted.

Precisely, Dave. Save our £100m* from Allardyce just to give it to Redknapp? Gerraway.

*obviously, before someone pedantic sillybilly picks up on it, i'm just using that figure hypothetically...

I can see why he'd do it. If Ashley wants to plow £100M into transfers it would be worth his while getting his man in to do it, rather than sticking with a manager someone else chose. Imagine if he gave huge money to Allardyce and it didn't work? Wasting money with someone you don't want? That's ridiculous.

If he's prepared to throw that sort of money around (and this is all hypothetical, obviously) it makes perfect sense to put an extra few million in to get the man he wants to do it. At least that way if it doesn't work he's got nowhere to hide.

For what it's worth I think we've got someone lined up. I'd be amazed and disappointed if this has happened without a clear plan as to who's next.

Redknapp = Hughes = Allardyce.

Seems an awfully abrupt decision to make if we're just going to appoint another guy who's done nothing special over the others.

And I'd be gutted.

Precisely, Dave. Save our £100m* from Allardyce just to give it to Redknapp? Gerraway.

*obviously, before someone pedantic sillybilly picks up on it, i'm just using that figure hypothetically...

I can see why he'd do it. If Ashley wants to plow £100M into transfers it would be worth his while getting his man in to do it, rather than sticking with a manager someone else chose. Imagine if he gave huge money to Allardyce and it didn't work? Wasting money with someone you don't want? That's ridiculous.

If he's prepared to throw that sort of money around (and this is all hypothetical, obviously) it makes perfect sense to put an extra few million in to get the man he wants to do it. At least that way if it doesn't work he's got nowhere to hide.

For what it's worth I think we've got someone lined up. I'd be amazed and disappointed if this has happened without a clear plan as to who's next.

Judging on who Sam has spent his money on so far, I could see why Ashley would be reluctant to give him a lot.

Barton - Facing time in jail.

Enrique - Hardly been playing

Smith - Much maligned, shall we say.

His three signings that cost any relatively sizeable money, hardly done well with it to be fair.

I'll be underwhelmed as anyone if it's Redknapp though, rather give it to Shearer and take the risk than make a big Harry-shaped sidestep.

I agree I'd be underwhelmed if it's Harry, but if he's the one Ashley wants to spend his money (this is all still on the assumption Ashley will be plowing his own money into transfers) he'd be mad not to appoint him imo. Not the other way round. Hopefully it'll be someone who excites me, but I'd accept Hughes right now given the probable alternatives.

can't see how 'arry would be the man to kickstart our moribund club.

and anyone who is up to the job wouldnt touch us with a barge pole.

apart from a 55,000 capicity ground and a billionairre owner we have precisely fuck all to offer. possibly the arrogance of Mourinho would make him think he could sort out the NUFC basket case but its highly unlikely.

most big name managers probably say "newcastle who ??!??!"