The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I still cannot believe that we are actually discussing the very real possibility of Harry bleeding Redknapp becoming our manager!

This is a man who has achieved relatively little in his management career and seems, in my opinion at least, to have been somewhat inconsistent. Portsmouth have only recently developed a reputation for playing decent football, and to hire him on this basis seems absurd.

By the way, can anyone recall the type of football played during his West Ham days?

Yes you're right.

Souness, Roeder, Allardyce.

Why the hell are we being linked with Allardyce, when we're used to much better managers than him....

i trust the new regime. ashley and mort may not be football men, but they are businessmen. as such, i trust them to turn newcastle united into a profitable business behind the scenes. redknapp is a good (not excellent, but best we are getting) manager and i would trust him to do quite well on the pitch once ashley and mort sort out the backroom bit. once were in a healthier position, then we can attract some good players and managers.

Guest neesy111

i trust the new regime. ashley and mort may not be football men, but they are businessmen. as such, i trust them to turn newcastle united into a profitable business behind the scenes. redknapp is a good (not excellent, but best we are getting) manager and i would trust him to do quite well on the pitch once ashley and mort sort out the backroom bit. once were in a healthier position, then we can attract some good players and managers.

we can do better than redknapp and all our fans know that

Is it worth pointing out that Sam obtained a higher league finish with Bolton than Harry's ever had?  He's never finished higher than 8th, has he?

EDIT: Before we get carried away by Pompey's spellbinding attacking football bear in mind he's not scored in his last 4 home games and likes to play 4-5-1...

Is it worth pointing out that Sam obtained a higher league finish with Bolton than Harry's ever had?  He's never finished higher than 8th, has he?

Scored more goals too last season. Harry's still the greatest attacking manager the Premiership has ever seen though, he's like Keegan on acid. Apart from at home.

5th with West Ham, 1998-99.

Ah well, that's OK then.  I'll give him 2 matches instead of one   :knuppel2:

How underwhelming. A 60 year old wheeler dealer whose never won anything and is used to relegation battles rather than races for Europe.

:thdn:

Guest bluegeordie

Scored more goals too last season. Harry's still the greatest attacking manager the Premiership has even seen though, he's like Keegan on acid. Apart from at home.

Trying to factor in the acid, but struggling at the moment tbh. More research needed, obviously. :coolsmiley:

Scored more goals too last season. Harry's still the greatest attacking manager the Premiership has even seen though, he's like Keegan on acid. Apart from at home.

Trying to factor in the acid, but struggling at the moment tbh. More research needed, obviously. :coolsmiley:

He's like Keegan after having his face melted with acid, is that more accurate?

;D

How underwhelming. A 60 year old wheeler dealer whose never won anything and is used to relegation battles rather than races for Europe.

who's your scrapegoat now

The board, I'd imagine.

The board, I'd imagine.

Should make for an interesting discussion.

I am really struggling to imagine who they might attract from outside of the premiership at the moment. As far as top quality managers go.

Assuming Mourinho isn't a possibility, Lippi might be the only other one.

Not sure about the likes of Van Gaal to be honest. Seems a bit pratish and has been slipping lately.

Redknapp seems to be in amongst a group of good British managers -  including Moyes, Hughes, Curbishley, O'Neill - that lots of people on here have turned their noses up at over the last few seasons. The usual reasoning is that we should be going for a continental superstar in the league of Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Mourinho etc

It's very unlikely that those kind of managers would be attracted to us at the moment, and the British managers I've mentioned are more than competent enough to get us moving forward again.

What attracted Sven to City?

Same two reasons that many other people accept job offers. He was out of work and City was the best job that was likely to be offered to him. Those two criteria don't apply to the likes of Mourinho and Hiddink.

Let's face it, his reputation was damaged by his time at England - rather unfairly, but if your last job is perceived as a failure, you have a problem.

This 'we can do better' syndrome does irritate me, I must admit. As I've said before, it's like a man dying of thirst in the desert, demanding Perrier instead of water. Either would do the job.

Redknapp seems to be in amongst a group of good British managers -  including Moyes, Hughes, Curbishley, O'Neill - that lots of people on here have turned their noses up at over the last few seasons. The usual reasoning is that we should be going for a continental superstar in the league of Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Mourinho etc

It's very unlikely that those kind of managers would be attracted to us at the moment, and the British managers I've mentioned are more than competent enough to get us moving forward again.

What attracted Sven to City?

Same two reasons that many other people accept job offers. He was out of work and City was the best job that was likely to be offered to him. Those two criteria don't apply to the likes of Mourinho and Hiddink.

Let's face it, his reputation was damaged by his time at England - rather unfairly, but if your last job is perceived as a failure, you have a problem.

This 'we can do better' syndrome does irritate me, I must admit. As I've said before, it's like a man dying of thirst in the desert, demanding Perrier instead of water. Either would do the job.

We're not dying though IMO, merely very, very thirsty. :razz:

Guest bluegeordie

Fuckin hell - hold the research!!! I was thinking a bit of Pink Floyd, a lava lamp etc etc, but face melting - jesus, that's hardcore.   

I'm pretty sure though Arry will buy lots of £2-3million players.....just like we did prior to 1992.

:-D

This may have been mentioned before in the thread (there's no way i'm looking through 42 pages!) but haven't Pompey been playing predominantly with a 4-5-1 forrmation this season?

:yikes:

This may have been mentioned before in the thread (there's no way i'm looking through 42 pages!) but haven't Pompey been playing predominantly with a 4-5-1 forrmation this season?

:yikes:

1-3-6 innit?