Toon turning to Shearer and Keegan

stozo

Another plus where KK is concerned, it would signal heavy funding in the transfer market and if there is one person I'd trust with money, it's KK, furthermore he'd be no Ashley puppet and outside of managing the team, who better to advise the new owner and Chairman where NUFC matters are concerned giving the club they bought and took over is very much KK's club in that it was him he built the fucker, with the helpf of SJH of course and if NE5 is reading, go on then, I'll give you FS too.

Keegan did build this club from almost nothing. OK, so SJH supplied the initial cash but it was Kev who made them believe what could be possible. It only went wrong when SJH/Freddie etc sold out to the suits and killed the dream. If we had of continued with what KK wanted, instead of stopping and taking stock, we would have still been in the top 5 today.

I'd hate to see Keegan fail after doing such a good job first time around but he loves the club and I'm sure this club does something to him that no other does.  I'd rather go with Keegan than most of the names being mentioned because the whole ground would be lifting again to Keegan Wonderland and that could just be the spark that gets the players playing anything like potential.

I'd rather Keegan than Shearer, any day of the week.

The new manager needs time.

Shearer/Keegan/both would get time.

Any other manager would get no more than a few months before fans turned if there wasn't instant change.

Simple as really.

Are you saying if we aren't in the top 8 within 4 months a manager like Hughes will be under huge pressure?

Nope he'll have until atleast this time next season to prove himself. This season is a write-off. I don't expect much from here till May.

Look at Allardyce. No different to Hughes, if he doesn't do better, people will be on his back too. It's how things work at this club now.

Like I keep saying. Sam's brand of football along with strange tactics was ultimately his downfall not just the results. He also made some very s**** signings, these all attributed to him being hounded.

Have you seen Blackburn? They are not exactly a footballing team. They are more Bolton than Portsmouth or what our fans have quite clearly shown they want - attacking football. Under Hughes it would be much of the same, lots of scrapping and battling with the odd decent performance in terms of football.

No it wouldn't. Blackburn attack weaker sides and actually put them to the sword. Against Bolton and Derby they dominated and were a cut above. Completely different scenario to Sam.

Hughes at Blackburn has had less money than Sam did at Bolton and plays far superior football.

Totally agree.

Anyway...

Mark Hughes = sideways step.

Will need time and lots of money probably even more than the last manager needed.

No logic whatsoever in his appointment other than he's next down the ladder from Redknapp. If we are to appoint such a manager I'd rather we took a risk on KK or Shearer, at least I can feel good about those two and get really behind them. With Hughes I don't think I can stomach another round of defence when you lot get on his back when we fail to land the title in his first game.

I've always rated Hughes as a superior manager to Big Sam. I wanted Hughes before we got Allardyce.

Hughes has been at Blackburn a shorter time than Sam and had achieved arguably better success with far less resources, whilst playing football.

Big Sam at Bolton over the past 3 years had a better record than Hughes at Blackburn and spent less money. If you think he's far superior to Allardyce, then Hughes must be the next Wenger or something.

Or perhaps people are judging Allardyce on the shambles he was here?

Another plus where KK is concerned, it would signal heavy funding in the transfer market and if there is one person I'd trust with money, it's KK, furthermore he'd be no Ashley puppet and outside of managing the team, who better to advise the new owner and Chairman where NUFC matters are concerned giving the club they bought and took over is very much KK's club in that it was him he built the fucker, with the helpf of SJH of course and if NE5 is reading, go on then, I'll give you FS too.

Sounds like your warming to the idea of KK at the helm again.

If someone had told me 6 months ago (or 1 month ago for that matter) that we'd even be discussing this now I'd have had them locked up. How did we get to this?

Is it really that bad?

I can see where all sides are coming from but I can't help but feel some people like the guy above are going a little OTT about this.

The guy hasn't been anywhere near football for years now. Suddenly he's the favourite to be appointed manager? Sounds like madness to me.

I doubt he ever completely removed himself from the football scene, whatever he says. But I already understand where you're coming from.

One thing Keegan is never acknowledged for is that the 3 clubs that he got promoted playing good football have all managed (so far) to stay in the Premiership.

he also spent alot of money, all 3 times.

No more than any other club has spent to reach the summit of the Premiership or in Man City's case to get out of the second tier and into mid-table safety and European football. Everton have spent a fortune recently, Spurs have too. That's what a manager needs to do to achieve something. People talk as if KK spending money was a bad thing. I'm sure Man City fans didn't mind seeing the likes of Anelka play for them when only a few years before they were in the old 2nd division and who without KK would probably still be in the championship today or just another mackems, up and down.

What Everton fortune? Yakubu apart who has cost more than £8million?

Blackburn qualified for Europe for alot less money than what KK managed.

You fail to mention KK nearly getting Man City relegated and being one of the reasons why they where skint by the time he left.

The man has never had prolonged success in his life.

Spent more than we have in the past few years believe it or not, a fortune for them. KK didn't nearly get Man City relegated either, that's hyperbole. They were not skint per se either, they had debts like every club. Anyway he actually left them in very good shape with arguably the finest academy in the country which KK kick-started back when they were in the 1st division.

As for prolonging success, he's achieved far more than Hughes has ever done and if we are getting into that kind of debate I'd like to remind you in today's football it's very rare for anyone to prolong success. Hughes if he joins us, where would the prolonged success be at Blackburn? He'll leave them having achieved less than what Souness achieved for them.

But hey, lets appoint him.

He'd be another appointment that I just couldn't get behind, seen it all before, will end in tears. Give me someone credible or someone I can feel good about Mr Ashley and Mort rather than a flavour of the month manager who does nowt for me.

Didn't Man City go on a long, long run on which they didn't win a match. Finishing 15th? And no.. i'm pretty sure they were skint. Samaras aside before the take over not much money left whilst they sold Wright-Phillips for ALOT of money. take off the rose-tinted 1996 edition glasses.

Hughes would leave Blackburn in the top 8. Souness left them in the relegation zone.

Aye let's get someone credible..... Kevin fucking Keegan.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I wouldnt go back.

Love KK legend, but i am sure i read an interview recently with him that said he has not watched any live football for 7-8 years. The man has lost his desire, and it will NOT work out for him a 2nd time i am convinced

It is completely mad and would never have thought about it until a week ago, then again a week ago I was all set for the Allardyce 5 year plan. Sense goes out the window at this club, may aswell go with the maddest option to date and see what happens.

Guest hodsgod

KK is a better manager than Redknapp.

Are you sure? his record at England and Citeh is shite. Maybe he was lucky as SJP?

Maybe he was lucky as SJP?

Or maybe it's just "his club"? I mean, maybe he's just made for the job.

Plus I can hardly see what he did as being luck, it would be some hell of alot of luck to get us into the top two.

It is completely mad and would never have thought about it until a week ago, then again a week ago I was all set for the Allardyce 5 year plan. Sense goes out the window at this club, may aswell go with the maddest option to date and see what happens.

the players should start wearing black & white noddy hats.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I wouldnt go back.

Love KK legend, but i am sure i read an interview recently with him that said he has not watched any live football for 7-8 years. The man has lost his desire, and it will NOT work out for him a 2nd time i am convinced

So he didn't watch any of the games when he was managing England and Man City?

Maybe the numbers are wrong but the information isnt

I wouldnt go back.

7-8 years! jesus wept, must've turned his back to the pitch every time he managed england or man city then. he's said he's not been to a match in 2 years, doesn't mean he doesn't watch games on telly.

The new manager needs time.

Shearer/Keegan/both would get time.

Any other manager would get no more than a few months before fans turned if there wasn't instant change.

Simple as really.

Are you saying if we aren't in the top 8 within 4 months a manager like Hughes will be under huge pressure?

Nope he'll have until atleast this time next season to prove himself. This season is a write-off. I don't expect much from here till May.

Look at Allardyce. No different to Hughes, if he doesn't do better, people will be on his back too. It's how things work at this club now.

Like I keep saying. Sam's brand of football along with strange tactics was ultimately his downfall not just the results. He also made some very s**** signings, these all attributed to him being hounded.

Have you seen Blackburn? They are not exactly a footballing team. They are more Bolton than Portsmouth or what our fans have quite clearly shown they want - attacking football. Under Hughes it would be much of the same, lots of scrapping and battling with the odd decent performance in terms of football.

No it wouldn't. Blackburn attack weaker sides and actually put them to the sword. Against Bolton and Derby they dominated and were a cut above. Completely different scenario to Sam.

Hughes at Blackburn has had less money than Sam did at Bolton and plays far superior football.

Totally agree.

Anyway...

Mark Hughes = sideways step.

Will need time and lots of money probably even more than the last manager needed.

No logic whatsoever in his appointment other than he's next down the ladder from Redknapp. If we are to appoint such a manager I'd rather we took a risk on KK or Shearer, at least I can feel good about those two and get really behind them. With Hughes I don't think I can stomach another round of defence when you lot get on his back when we fail to land the title in his first game.

I've always rated Hughes as a superior manager to Big Sam. I wanted Hughes before we got Allardyce.

Hughes has been at Blackburn a shorter time than Sam and had achieved arguably better success with far less resources, whilst playing football.

Big Sam at Bolton over the past 3 years had a better record than Hughes at Blackburn and spent less money. If you think he's far superior to Allardyce, then Hughes must be the next Wenger or something.

Go re-do your figures. Blackburn have spent less money than Bolton in the last few years. Bolton also had a very big wage expenditure. Hughes took over a team in the relegation zone and got them in the top 8 the next season (or 2).

They play good football. He's made great signings. What did Allardyce achieve in the Premiership that Hughes hasn't?

Guest Knightrider

I'd hate to see Keegan fail after doing such a good job first time around but he loves the club and I'm sure this club does something to him that no other does.  I'd rather go with Keegan than most of the names being mentioned because the whole ground would be lifting again to Keegan Wonderland and that could just be the spark that gets the players playing anything like potential.

The beauty about KK is if he were to fail or it looked likely, he'd resign, admit coming back was a mistake and still be held in high esteem by fans. If we love our legends, we love people who share what we do for the club, people who are willing to help the club out which KK would be doing by coming back. I doubt his legend would fade too badly if he were to fail. Now Shearer's....

The beauty about KK is if he were to fail or it looked likely, he'd resign, admit coming back was a mistake and still be held in high esteem by fans. If we love our legends, we love people who share what we do for the club, people who are willing to help the club out which KK would be doing by coming back. I doubt his legend would fade too badly if he were to fail. Now Shearer's....

Shearer would be fine, people would just say "he was a great footballer who simply couldnt cut it as a manager, no hard feelings"

Guest Knightrider

What did Allardyce achieve in the Premiership that Hughes hasn't?

I'll flip the coin.

What has Hughes achieved that Allardyce hasn't?

A manager you were vehemently against, no?

Now I'm not vehemently against Hughes just as I wouldn't have been with Redknapp, but if we were to appoint such a "meh" manager, give me the spills and thrills of KK over that because I want entertained now, I want to start feeling good for a change about NUFC and everything about it. Last thing this club needs is apathy to become more widespread or even worse, anger. If Hughes was appointed, I could see a few extra empty seats creeping in and another rewrite of the Souness, Roeder and Big Sam chapters. If Hughes is appointed to lead the Ashley revolution... well pardon me if I don't buy into it. That would be like England appointing Curbishley after McLaren. Much of the same.

If someone had told me 6 months ago (or 1 month ago for that matter) that we'd even be discussing this now I'd have had them locked up. How did we get to this?

Is it really that bad?

I can see where all sides are coming from but I can't help but feel some people like the guy above are going a little OTT about this.

The guy hasn't been anywhere near football for years now. Suddenly he's the favourite to be appointed manager? Sounds like madness to me.

...and people wonder why the club is fucked. No other club would even contemplate it.

Guest Knightrider

Is it really that bad?

...and people wonder why the club is fucked. No other club would even contemplate it.

Newcastle are not another club. We can't have it both ways. You want to become a different club you give Big Sam some time and money and put up with unattractive football. You want your Newcastle United back, you bring in KK. If you want your Newcastle to become another Man Utd, you go out and get Mourinho. You want us to be like Blackburn, err, go and get their manager. Me, at this moment in time, if Newcastle is a bad day, I want a drink and KK is that man. Or we could look for a better choice and start acting like supporters instead of whinging bairns whenever we fucking lose or perform badly because I've had enough thankyou.

What did Allardyce achieve in the Premiership that Hughes hasn't?

I'll flip the coin.

What has Hughes achieved that Allardyce hasn't?

A manager you were vehemently against, no?

Achieved similar results, with less money, players on probably smaller wages. Signed and nurtured young talent into very good players (Bentley in particular). Played good football. 2 good wingers and 2 good strikers with big fuck-off defenders at the back. Y'know not signing golden oldies and playing long balls.

And no initially I was fairly pleased with Big Sam. I wanted Hughes instead but I was happy with Sam. The man just look incompetent. I thought he would evolve and play better football because he was at a bigger club. I was wrong. Sam's a 1 trick pony.

Guest LucasUnger

i just hope we appoint a manager or 2 or 3 ;) this week. we need some spending and time is running against us.

would love to see a manager pair (Robson, Keegan, Shearer, Houllier) 2 of these 3 would do me.

i'm missing the "keegan wonderland" ;)

Whilst I understand the concerns re Keegan, can you imagine if back in 1992 Sir John Hall had considered Keegan but then thought "better not, he hasn't been in football for a few years".

I personally think that the KK and Shearer risk would be preferable to a risk taken on Hughes. Ok, so football may have changed in the last 3 years, but surely it had changed between 1984 to 1992 wthe last time?!

I would say that it would certainly worth having a Peter Kenyon type character if those two were chosen, at least initially to help out with the behind the scenes admin in the modern game.

If everybody seems to think that Shearer will be manager at some point, but after some experience elsewhere. Does anybody realistically see him managing Hartlepool for a few years first or something. Completely unrealistic, how much do you think they would pay him for a start? Didn't Van Basten, Rjiikard etc all start off with big clubs?