Toon turning to Shearer and Keegan

stozo

KK did a marvellous job during his time as manager and there is no doubt that the fans would get behind him and Shearer if they were chosen, but I have one significant reservation ; KK scrapped the Reserves and downplayed the Juniors when he was told that 6 Reserve games had to be played at SJP - he did this because he didn't want them playing on the pitch which was giving problems at the time..

I was (and still am) totally against that policy decision - the club's Academy system is clearly a mess, and youth development is vital to any major club's future - if you have no Reserves, how can they gain proper competitive experience against players from other Prem sides ? You wouldn't catch Arsenal scrapping their Reserves(who, lest anyone forgets, were good enough to turn NUFC over in the L'woods Cup earlier this season..!), or Man U, so why should we, esp on a whim of convenience....

I would be against the choice if this action was to be repeated.

It could be argued that Keegan was ahead of his time in not wanting to play reserve games at St James'.  Chris McMennemy said he scrapped the reserves because we were new to the Premiership and didn't have the players needed to run the reserves.

Sorry, Mick - Mcmenemy is wrong ; the decision to scrap the RES taken by KK in July of 96 - we had been in the Prem for 3 years and nearly won the title, so Mcmenemy's time-scale is way out..

Whatever anyone says, it was wrong - there is no way Arsenal would scrap their reserves,and I reckon Wenger is at least on par with KK when it comes to being ahead of your time - don't you..!??

KK did a marvellous job during his time as manager and there is no doubt that the fans would get behind him and Shearer if they were chosen, but I have one significant reservation ; KK scrapped the Reserves and downplayed the Juniors when he was told that 6 Reserve games had to be played at SJP - he did this because he didn't want them playing on the pitch which was giving problems at the time..

I was (and still am) totally against that policy decision - the club's Academy system is clearly a mess, and youth development is vital to any major club's future - if you have no Reserves, how can they gain proper competitive experience against players from other Prem sides ? You wouldn't catch Arsenal scrapping their Reserves(who, lest anyone forgets, were good enough to turn NUFC over in the L'woods Cup earlier this season..!), or Man U, so why should we, esp on a whim of convenience....

I would be against the choice if this action was to be repeated.

It could be argued that Keegan was ahead of his time in not wanting to play reserve games at St James'.  Chris McMennemy said he scrapped the reserves because we were new to the Premiership and didn't have the players needed to run the reserves.

Sorry, Mick - Mcmenemy is wrong ; the decision to scrap the RES taken by KK in July of 96 - we had been in the Prem for 3 years and nearly won the title, so Mcmenemy's time-scale is way out..

Whatever anyone says, it was wrong - there is no way Arsenal would scrap their reserves,and I reckon Wenger is at least on par with KK when it comes to being ahead of your time - don't you..!??

To be fair i think that was before our training facilities were upgraded. Ginola said last night that they used to train at Durham University in those days. I think should Keegan get the post, he would be in for a major shock walking into Wee Benton

the bandwagon is gathering pace...........

"Alan Shearer says he has not spoken to Kevin Keegan for 'a long time' after the duo were mooted as Newcastle United's managerial 'dream ticket'." - Sky Sports

In reverse maybe...

I'm sure that'll be ignored as the masses are bound to turn up with their bed sheets and hastily scrawled messages tomorrow evening.

To be honest I'm warming to the idea of the Shearer/Keegan thing, we may as well give it a go if we can get Kev out of retirement. I think we all want something we can get behind and feel positive about.

Also, it will get the Shearer era out of our system so he won't be casting a shadow over every manager we appoint.

That's the very reason why this dream ticket duo is so unlikely to happen.

Keegan would never work under a shadow of anyone.

One would have to be boss and both are unlikely to accept 2nd in command, so I reckon it's EITHER/OR  or neither.

I get a bit concerned when people say that Shearer would be a good choice if he gets some experienced back room staff in. If he's going to be the manager, the buck will fall with him, and it will ultimately be his judgement on the line.

I'm not saying he can't do it. Just that you won't remove the doubts about his inexperience just by tacking on the idea of a Venables or a Keegan alongside. It reminds me a bit of McClaren having Venables on board when he became England manager. Somehow it felt like a vote of no-confidence in his own judgement, and I do wonder whether all the chopping and changing that went on was down to those kinds of self-doubts.

Having said that, I think Shearer's very much his own man, and he'll insist on appointing his own people. I think he'll be very confident about his own judgement. Whether that faith will stay intact once he's in the job - another matter. This is a very high pressure job.

This thread needs to die, at least its title does..........seen quick video interviews of both of them and they look utterly clueless. Shearer looked annoyed at the idea but said some day I would and Keegan in his shellsuit wasn't bothered either. To even contemplate this partnership today is a joke.

I'm guessing Gerard H will get the job as he actually has a good clue on how to manage and win things at a football club.

You just never go back.  It's almost scientific fact that 2nd time around never works out.  Ever.

Like when Keegan came back as manager after being a player? Oh yeah, that was a real failure...... not!

It looks like he was referring to those having a second stint as manager and not returning to a club as manager after a spell as a player.

I've slept on it. I still want Keegan. :blush:

I'd take Houllier though, just a question of can he get us going again and quickly?

Houllier's transfers at Liverpool where often highly shit. He worries me.

Indeed. Lyon and Liverpool, he took over good sides with good players. Can he buy well enough from our position? Hmm.

If you put aside the managerial records - and even then KK would come out on top - anyone favouring Hughes over Keegan is a cold, cold fish.

He pulled us out from the s***, basically by forcing the board to spend money, and left us in a good state after the nobs in charge saw a chance to cash in on our success.

As far as i'm concerned, if he's got an an interest in the job, anything other than full support would be treachery. In my daft sentimental eyes, anyway.

I don't think there's any chance of a Keegan/Shearer double act, their ego's are just too big. It's one or the other in my opinion, and I prefer Keegan at this stage. He's delivered vibrant, attacking football at every club he's managed, and with Ashley's millions to spend, I'm sure he'd deliver more of the same here again.

If Mr Ashley really wants enjoyable, attacking football, then Keegan's your man!

Guest LucaAltieri

Shearer exclusive in The Sun tomorrow about taking the job

Do you work for The Sun?

no why?

You're doing a lot of advertising.

I've heard from a good source KK is meeting Ashley tomorrow. £20 over 3yr.

If I hear out more i will let you all know.

News comes via one of KK's prodical son's