FFF president 'reassured' Houllier not moving to Tyneside

NSG

Houllier quotes from 2004

Houllier admits his decision to join Lyon this summer was swayed by not facing the task of rebuilding the club the way he had to with Liverpool.

"I don't think I would have had the strength to do with Lyon what I did with Liverpool," he added.

"When I signed there, after Shankly, (Bob) Paisley, (Joe) Fagan, (Kenny) Dalglish or (Graeme) Souness, people started to hear the name Houllier and it was a cultural shock for them.

"I totally changed the club's approach and way of working and Benitez is the first one

to admit it.

"I had three objectives when I joined: winning trophies, have an influence on the club in terms of style and make the players progress.

"In the end we won six trophies and we got the opportunity to qualify for the Champions League four times.

"We created new facilities and re-did everything from scratch.

"As far as the players' progression is concerned, (Michael) Owen was voted European Player of the Year and a lot more reached new heights in their careers.

"But now I must say I would not have the strength to rebuild a club again. That is why (Lyon president Jean-Michel) Aulas' comparison of his club with a Formula one car suited me.

"The club is already on the right track, there is a quality team. The key is to jump into the car and drive it fast."

If he's a genuinely interested contender I guess he's changed his mind about the bold comment.

Houllier quotes from 2004

Houllier admits his decision to join Lyon this summer was swayed by not facing the task of rebuilding the club the way he had to with Liverpool.

"I don't think I would have had the strength to do with Lyon what I did with Liverpool," he added.

"When I signed there, after Shankly, (Bob) Paisley, (Joe) Fagan, (Kenny) Dalglish or (Graeme) Souness, people started to hear the name Houllier and it was a cultural shock for them.

"I totally changed the club's approach and way of working and Benitez is the first one

to admit it.

"I had three objectives when I joined: winning trophies, have an influence on the club in terms of style and make the players progress.

"In the end we won six trophies and we got the opportunity to qualify for the Champions League four times.

"We created new facilities and re-did everything from scratch.

"As far as the players' progression is concerned, (Michael) Owen was voted European Player of the Year and a lot more reached new heights in their careers.

"But now I must say I would not have the strength to rebuild a club again. That is why (Lyon president Jean-Michel) Aulas' comparison of his club with a Formula one car suited me.

"The club is already on the right track, there is a quality team. The key is to jump into the car and drive it fast."

If he's a genuinely interested contender I guess he's changed his mind about the bold comment.

Or he has been offered a role that doesn't match the criteria of a full-time manager.

Abel Carlos da Silva Braga, also known as Abel Braga or just Abel during his playing days (born September 1, 1952 in Rio de Janeiro), is a football (soccer) manager and a former football player.

He started his career as a player in Fluminense in 1968, staying at the club until 1976, when he moved to Vasco da Gama.

He also played for Paris Saint-Germain, of France, from 1979 to 1981, for Botafogo, from 1982 to 1984, and Goytacaz, in 1984 and 1985, where ended his career.

He earned just one cap for the Brazilian national football team, but he took part in the team that represented Brazil in the FIFA World Cup 1978 in Argentina.

After his retirement as a player, he became a manager, and worked at clubs such as Vasco da Gama, Internacional, Olympique de Marseille, Atlético Paranaense, Coritiba, Atlético Mineiro and Ponte Preta.

In 1988, at Internacional, he was runner-up of the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A after losing to Esporte Clube Bahia in the final match. In 1989, he came close to winning the Copa Libertadores, but the club ended up losing to Paraguay's Olimpia on penalties after conceding three goals in the return match at home. The two defeats left a stain on his career and would haunt him for many years to come.

In 2004, Abel Braga became Flamengo manager, winning Taça Guanabara and Campeonato Carioca. He became most remembered, however, because Flamengo lost the Copa do Brasil to underdogs Esporte Clube Santo André, even though the final match was held in Rio de Janeiro, home of Flamengo.

In 2005, as Fluminense manager, he won the Campeonato Carioca of that year. Abel finished the year, however, carrying the burden of two successive last-minute failures. Against all odds, Fluminense lost to underdogs Paulista of Jundiaí in the Copa do Brasil final match, under circunstances similar to the ones he faced the year before with Flamengo. Paulista, currently in the second division of the Campeonato Brasileiro, eventually qualified for the Copa Libertadores. Fluminense had another chance to qualify for the Libertadores, the most prestigious club football tournament in South America, by finishing the Campeonato Brasileiro among the top four. Even though Fluminense managed to lead the table for a few rounds, it failed again in the last match. A draw against Palmeiras would have been enough for the team to finish fourth, but they lost.

In the beginning of 2006, Abel transferred to Internacional of Porto Alegre to lead the team in the football tournament of Rio Grande do Sul. Grêmio emerged champions and Abel was criticised as an eternal runner-up. However, he may claim to have changed that image by winning the Copa Libertadores and the Club World Cup in the same year, the greatest achievements in the history of Internacional.

The IFFHS ranked him as the sixth best club coach in 2006.

Titles as a manager

Campeonato Paranaense champion in 1998 with Atlético Paranaense.

Campeonato Paranaense champion in 1999 with Coritiba.

Campeonato Carioca champion in 2000 with Vasco.

Campeonato Carioca champion and Taça Guanabara champion in 2004 with Flamengo.

Campeonato Carioca champion and Taça Rio in 2005 with Fluminense.

Copa Libertadores de América and FIFA Club World Cup in 2006 with Internacional.

]

Guest johnson293

Yeah - another fantastic insight into the world of a local hack....

"I took a call last night from the No 2 to a top Premier League manager putting their case.

And today the man who was officially ranked as the sixth best club coach in the world, 55-year-old Brazilian Abel Braga, contacted me to throw his hat into the ring."

F'Kin delusional or what????

So managers are interested in the job - so instead of contacting the club, they go straight to a local hack instead??!!

What is Thomson House? some kind of Football managers job centre or summit?????

So managers are interested in the job - so instead of contacting the club, they go straight to a local hack instead??!!

Once they heard Mourinho did it every manager is telling their agent to contact Anal.

Houllier Quotes from 2004

Or now 4 years later he feels ready for a challenge?

Guest Man in Black

Houllier is sacked after 1 year in Newcastle...

Look at all the s*** he bought in Liverpool....

and all the trophies. look at the mess we were in when he took over, Houllier was exactly what we needed at the time. and the shit you say he bought won the European Cup. all bar Alonso and Garcia who started the final were Houlliers players. give Houllier time and he'll be brilliant for you.

and all the trophies. look at the mess we were in when he took over, Houllier was exactly what we needed at the time. and the shit you say he bought won the European Cup. all bar Alonso and Garcia who started the final were Houlliers players. give Houllier time and he'll be brilliant for you.

You a Liverpool fan?

I don't think too many will grumble with Houllier - especially if Shearer is his assistant. Off topic but he really is the spitting image of my Dad!

That means you look like Houllier's child.

:lol:

Hopefully not!

Guest Man in Black

and all the trophies. look at the mess we were in when he took over, Houllier was exactly what we needed at the time. and the s*** you say he bought won the European Cup. all bar Alonso and Garcia who started the final were Houlliers players. give Houllier time and he'll be brilliant for you.

You a Liverpool fan?

yes. word is from one of the lads i know who works with Houllier in some sort of agent public speaking capacity says that talks are at an advanced stage and Houllier is very interested, and your lot seem to be keen. not a done deal yet, but its looking more likely than not at the minute. no word on assistant though, but Houllier came very close to signng Shearer in his last season in charge, and has a lot of time for him. apparantly Shearer came very close to signing for us in 2002, but changed his mind at the last minute

and all the trophies. look at the mess we were in when he took over, Houllier was exactly what we needed at the time. and the s*** you say he bought won the European Cup. all bar Alonso and Garcia who started the final were Houlliers players. give Houllier time and he'll be brilliant for you.

You a Liverpool fan?

yes. word is from one of the lads i know who works with Houllier in some sort of agent public speaking capacity says that talks are at an advanced stage and Houllier is very interested, and your lot seem to be keen. not a done deal yet, but its looking more likely than not at the minute. no word on assistant though, but Houllier came very close to signng Shearer in his last season in charge, and has a lot of time for him. apparantly Shearer came very close to signing for us in 2002, but changed his mind at the last minute

Its been my preferred combination since last year (well December  :blush:), i'm all for it, i'd be delighted if it comes true.

Guest Man in Black

I think Houllier with Shearer as no2 would be a very positive appointment. I remember Liverpool being quite exciting when he was manager too.

He played some real dross. They got results but a lot of the time they weren't entertaining.

aye, that 2001 season when we won 5 trophies and banged in 122 goals was really bad

I think Houllier with Shearer as no2 would be a very positive appointment. I remember Liverpool being quite exciting when he was manager too.

He played some real dross. They got results but a lot of the time they weren't entertaining.

aye, that 2001 season when we won 5 trophies and banged in 122 goals was really bad

Who do you prefer Houllier or Rafa?