The Magedia Thread - Sunderland suck trollolololol

Rocker

Sunday Supplement on SS1

Matt Dickson (The Times) said something about modern managers need to look at detail & that is not a Keegan strength.  Who are these modern managers: Alan Pardew who last season got sacked from West Ham as they were in the s**** but fairplay to him he did manage to comeback & get a team (Charlton) relegated last season. Aidy Boothroyd who last season guided Watford to 20th place in the Premiership, with a whopping 59 goals against. Phil Parkinson who spent less time at Hull than Sam did with us.  While mentioning Sam I guess he is one of these modern types, he has got the headset, tv's, the f****** lot & last night I saw his b****** creation Bolton Wanders & on looking at that team & players if that is modern, I guess I am old fashioned.

Sunday Supplement on SS1

Matt Dickson (The Times) said something about modern managers need to look at detail & that is not a Keegan strength.  Who are these modern managers: Alan Pardew who last season got sacked from West Ham as they were in the shite but he did manage to come & get a team (Charlton) relegated last season. Aidy Boothroyd who last season guided Watford to 20th place in the Premiership, with a whopping 59 goals against. Phil Parkinson who spent less time at Hull than Sam did with us.  While mentioning Sam I guess he is one of these modern types, he has got the headset, tv's, the fucking lot & last night I saw his bastard creation Bolton Wanders & on looking at that team & players if that is modern, I guess I am old fashioned.

:thup:

Sunday Supplement on SS1

Matt Dickson (The Times) said something about modern managers need to look at detail & that is not a Keegan strength.  Who are these modern managers: Alan Pardew who last season got sacked from West Ham as they were in the shite but he did manage to come & get a team (Charlton) relegated last season. Aidy Boothroyd who last season guided Watford to 20th place in the Premiership, with a whopping 59 goals against. Phil Parkinson who spent less time at Hull than Sam did with us.  While mentioning Sam I guess he is one of these modern types, he has got the headset, tv's, the fucking lot & last night I saw his bastard creation Bolton Wanders & on looking at that team & players if that is modern, I guess I am old fashioned.

Why is everyone so terrified that KK might just prove that football can be kept simple.

I saw Rob Lee on Football Focus yesterday and he said he used to ask KK who takes corners, free kicks etc. KK just said "Whoever. If you fancy it, go for it." he said KK worked on the basis that he bought good players so just let them get on with playing.

Sunday Supplement on SS1

Matt Dickson (The Times) said something about modern managers need to look at detail & that is not a Keegan strength.  Who are these modern managers: Alan Pardew who last season got sacked from West Ham as they were in the s**** but he did manage to come & get a team (Charlton) relegated last season. Aidy Boothroyd who last season guided Watford to 20th place in the Premiership, with a whopping 59 goals against. Phil Parkinson who spent less time at Hull than Sam did with us.  While mentioning Sam I guess he is one of these modern types, he has got the headset, tv's, the f****** lot & last night I saw his b****** creation Bolton Wanders & on looking at that team & players if that is modern, I guess I am old fashioned.

Why is everyone so terrified that KK might just prove that football can be kept simple.

It is not a case of KK proving football can be simple that they are terrified about, they are terrified in case KK exposes that football is a simple game

I f****** hate Andy Gray, everything that comes out of his mouth is s****. He seems to think that a KK side of 95-96 would get ripped apart by teams like Portsmouth or Blackburn.

Yeah I heard him babble that shit as well

He's the guy that seems to think football has changed from 10 years ago!  No Andy you're are still as much of a cunt now as you were back then!

I f****** hate Andy Gray, everything that comes out of his mouth is s****. He seems to think that a KK side of 95-96 would get ripped apart by teams like Portsmouth or Blackburn.

I think his Everton team would get ripped apart by a KK side of 95-96

Your not along with hating reporters in uk. Even hear in Sweden every person and reporter hate us and like to laugh at us!

I really really really hop KK will succed so we can shut their mouth!!!

Toon good to be true

Last updated: 20th January 2008

Dickinson: Keegan has limitations

Keegan has clearly got some failings as a manger and the Premiership is so competitive that he is going to hit the wall.

Matt Dickinson, The Times

Even if you do live under a rock, not a northern one of course, the chances are you would still have heard the news that the 'Geordie Messiah is back in Toon'.

Rarely, if ever before, has the appointment of a manager made more headlines than Kevin Keegan's return to take over the reins at Newcastle United and if the noises from Tyneside are to believed, then the club has got the man that will bring the good times, and winning times, back to St James' Park.

But not everybody is convinced. Matt Dickinson of The Times told the Sunday Supplement this week that Newcastle and Keegan should brace themselves for some 'harsh realities'.

"I am not immune to the romance and it is a fantastic story," he said. "It will keep us all occupied for a good few months.

"But without sounding too Victor Meldrew about it, you have to get down to some harsh realities and I think the best years of Keegan are behind him. I think it is a very different Premiership to the one that he worked in back in those glory days in Newcastle.

"Aside from the top four, there are some other excellent managers out there: David Moyes, (Sven Goran) Eriksson is doing great stuff at Man City and Martin O'Neill at Aston Villa. Keegan is going to be coming up against some top class opponents in the dugout and I think some of his limitations, seen in other jobs, are going to be exposed.

"I think, to be honest, he will give them a great lift. Some of the players were saying that he came down to the training ground the other day, that he was fantastic, pressed all the right buttons, they suddenly want to play for Newcastle again. Great!

"They will do pretty well for the next six months, he will have to go and sign players and it will be interesting to see how much money they give him to sign those players.

"But suddenly it will come down to details, and Kevin isn't always the best with those details."

Dickinson also wondered whether Keegan can really deliver what the fans of Newcastle United want, provided that is he can work out what they want first.

He said: "We are back to the old expectations, ludicrious over-expectations in some ways you can say, of the Newcastle fans. They want to win a trophy - there has been a lot of talk of not winning a trophy - but then suddenly we are told no, they think they are Barcelona basically; they think they should be playing (Lionel) Messi and Ronaldinho every week.

"I am still not quite sure what they want but they want the earth, the sun and the moon... and the stars with it... and tomorrow."

The bottom line though, he says, is that whatever they want, he doesn't think Keegan can deliver it, especially if it is too break into the big four.

Dickinson said: "I think Kevin has clearly got some failings as a manger and the Premiership is so competitive that he is going to hit the wall. I think he is going to find out that seventh, eighth or ninth is as good as he can do with this team."

What a fucking embryo looking twat!

These are the pricks that just churn out unimformed bollocks! How does he know he's going to be worse! cunt

Yeah I heard him babble that shit as well

He's the guy that seems to think football has changed from 10 years ago!  No Andy you're are still as much of a cunt now as you were back then!

Its as if they think defenders didnt exist back then, its a myth that Newcastle under KK had a very poor defence. I fail to see where football have changed so so so much in the past 10 years, Manu are top of the league just like they were 10 years ago because they have the best players and best manager, imo Fergie plays the same way as he has done for the past 10-15 years.

Guest mobiius

Andy Dunn from the NOTW is a right c***!

Hate's us, you can just feel it seeping through everything he writes!

Looks a right prick

Full on prick mate. read his attempt at controversy in NOTW what a piece of seething shite. To be honest i am of the opinion that all these southern journo's really want KK to fail big style. I would like to hope that Big mike Ashley would have someone recording all the bollocks they write and when KK wins something and they want an interview Big Mick can stand up and say remember this now fuck off cos your a cunt. i would love it ,really love it if it happened to Andy Dunn from the NOTW  live on sky outside SJP.  ;D ;D

T

Keegan has clearly got some failings as a manger and the Premiership is so competitive that he is going to hit the wall.

Matt Dickinson, The Times

Even if you do live under a rock, not a northern one of course, the chances are you would still have heard the news that the 'Geordie Messiah is back in Toon'.

How pathetic is that.

Looks a right prick

seconded. what a c***.

i noticed the four eyed t*** didnt have the bollocks to say owt when he was interviewd the other day in the press room after the conference 'isnt it great' he said 'its good to see keegan back'. get f***** man you specky f****** coward.

im glad they hate us, lets create a siege mentality, i dont want to be everyones second favourite team again anyway, f*** that, means nowt to me, let them hate us because we kick their arses everytime their team sets foot on our pitch, and when we set foot on theirs.

c***s.

bring it on.

I love the way that they are now reviewing Keegan's first managerial stint with us.  The only compeptition was Man Utd, all the other teams were ordinary at best, the other managers were poor, we had loads of money then and so paid over the top wages.  It is getting silly now.

Its not just the spiteful turkeys in the rags - I've been at it on the Talk Sport forum, with gloryhunters, whining Liverpool* fans and a cacophony of crap against Newcastle from all corners with the occasional honest comment from say, an Arsenal fan.

Get yourself over there and help me give these tossers a taste of their own medicine.

*This pillock was a classic - after an enormous long-winded attack from one of the "I was born in Manchester" w*nk*rs against us, - a Liverpool fan agreed with the spiteful attack on US, but then whined about a one line attack on Liverpool, calling them "self-pity city" which I thought was pretty accurate actually - the one and only thing he got right !!!

It's strange how the media get away with their anti-North articles (Scum Red tops and broadsheet papers). If the things they wrote were about a race it would be classed as racisim. All the shite stereotypes they push. I'm sure they'd love to write "Northern monkeys" and shit like that. Well, two can play at that game. They are all a bunch of soft, southern poofs!

Looks a right prick

seconded. what a c***.

i noticed the four eyed t*** didnt have the bollocks to say owt when he was interviewd the other day in the press room after the conference 'isnt it great' he said 'its good to see keegan back'. get f***** man you specky f****** coward.

im glad they hate us, lets create a siege mentality, i dont want to be everyones second favourite team again anyway, f*** that, means nowt to me, let them hate us because we kick their arses everytime their team sets foot on our pitch, and when we set foot on theirs.

c***s.

bring it on.

Spot on. I don't want to be everyone's second favourite team anymore. I want to be insular as fuck and stick two fingers up to everyone south of Felling, other than our good NUFC insiders in the South of course.

Looks a right prick

seconded. what a c***.

c***s.

bring it on.

Spot on. I don't want to be everyone's second favourite team anymore. I want to be insular as fuck and stick two fingers up to everyone south of Felling, other than our good NUFC insiders in the South of course.

Now THAT  wullmeister is a call to arms. This is the stuff i envision KK is saying in to the players

and on the inside pages......

Only in Newcastle does a city identify so much with its football team. But does Kevin Keegan’s return reveal a deeper local need for recognition, asks an expat Geordie

Published: 20 January 2008

Kevin is back. The messiah has returned. It is his Third Coming (latest score: Kevin Keegan 3; Jesus 1). The news that KK is once again manager of crisis-racked Newcastle United has seized most of the North-east of England (bar Sunderland) in convulsions of joy and excitement.

Citizens interviewed on the streets of Newcastle have warmed the microphones of TV and radio reporters with heartfelt effusions. Tyneside is in a state of euphoric meltdown. The rest of the nation looks on with bemusement. Exactly where is this event on the Richter scale of sensational news? Osama bin Laden arrested in a bedsit in Surbiton? Victoria Beckham to head the World Bank? For the good folk of Newcastle, the return of KK is, in comparison, seismic. Football is a great passion everywhere, but nowhere is the fusion of the population and its football club quite as intense and all-embracing as on Tyneside. It is not simply a matter of football: it is a social phenomenon. Why is this?

After all, the club's real glory time was the 1950s, yet the fanaticism lives on. Then, in the Jackie Milburn era, United won the FA Cup three times in five years. They also won the Fairs Cup [the equivalent of the Champions League] in the 1970s but otherwise, Keegan eras apart, performances have been mediocre and have taken second place to the parade of haunted men whirling through the turnstile of the manager's office. The old story: promising much only to disappoint. A bit like that other Newcastle institution Northern Rock. In other words, nothing to match the great, not to say, grandiose expectations of Tyneside. So what is this weird electricity that arcs between Kevin Keegan and the Toon Army?

Let us look first at the man. Keegan, the son of a Durham miner, was a dynamic player for Liverpool and England in the Seventies, when footballers boasted sideburns that were longer than their shorts. In the twilight of his career Keegan signed for Newcastle, struggling in the then Second Division. Keegan and supporters bonded instantly. Within two seasons they'd won promotion. Keegan then retired and, after a testimonial game against Liverpool, left St James' Park in a helicopter, amid a fireworks display. His first ascension. And, without Keegan, the fireworks soon fizzled out.

By the early Nineties, Newcastle were back in the old Second Division and a calamitous 1991 season saw them barely avoid relegation. Time for the Second Coming. The new chairman, Sir John Hall, flew to Marbella to persuade Keegan to become the Newcastle manager. Cue fresh outbreak of Keeganmania. And promotion back to the Premiership. Keegan gave the fans was what they wanted: a team with flash and dash. It would have won the championship were it not for a dramatic Devon Loch-type collapse in the final straight. The strain of surfing all that passion eventually became too much even for Keegan, and he retired again.

What Keegan had given the fans was the soccer equivalent of grand opera. It was Aida and Tosca every weekend. With him gone it was back to the old music-hall routine with the regular de-trousering of leading characters. Sir John's ambition was to turn Newcastle into a super set-up like that of Real Madrid. The result, post-Keegan, was more Real Cock-up.

Why such an intensity of hope that appears to frizzle every manager, apart from Keegan (and even his extraordinary charisma has been singed at the edges)? Cue the remark of Barrie Thomas, who played centre forward for Newcastle in the early Sixties and one of the many, many who tried to shrug into the No 9 shirt of the great Milburn. Barrie, ex-Scunthorpe, was fast, you had to give him that, but it was usually he that ended up in the opponents' net rather than the ball. No matter: when asked by a local reporter what he thought of the Newcastle area, Barrie replied: "It's a great country."

And that's it. Tyneside is, like the past, another country. It has been that way for centuries. It is the only area of England not included in the Doomsday Book. This is because of the rough manner in which Norman tax-collectors were handled. Result: William the Conqueror put the region to fire and sword. A laying-waste without equal in the history of England, (if one excludes the efforts of Margaret Thatcher).

Tyneside is, and feels, a long way from London. By TGV one can get to Paris in less time. It desperately wants to be more than the place you pass through on the way to Scotland. And it is only through its football club that it feels it can make its mark in the world.

There are two major statues in the centre Newcastle. One is the traditional columnar Grey's Monument, which is topped by an effigy of Lord Grey. If asked, passers-by would probably have to rummage through their memories to recall the early 19th-century Prime Minister, most notable for electoral reforms. If indeed they ever knew.

The other statue is smaller, but greatly revered – it is in Northumberland Street and is of Jackie Milburn – Wor Jackie (wor is "our", as in "wor lass", my wife). He was, and remains, the Great Geordie Hero. A local lad and a prolific goal scorer but a man who remained modest and unassuming. He once injured himself falling off his bicycle, a far cry from more modern times when the Great Gazza was more liable to harm himself falling over a night-club bouncer.

Who are these people who appear to be willing to plug their very souls into the erratic wiring of a football club? The Geordies are a tribe apart. The best word for them is one usually found in Lands' End clothing catalogues to describe casual sweaters: nubbly. Chunky, homespun. The dialect is, at its thickest, impenetrable. Legend has it that Peter Beardsley is the only English player to have his after-match comments subtitled.

Andy Capp is a Geordie of course, and the comic Viz, which features such cultural icons as Sid the Sexist ("Yer divent sweat much for a big lass, pet") and Johnny Fartpants, was born in Newcastle. There are Geordie males who think that Viz is a lifestyle magazine and not a comic, but the social knit is rather more elaborate. Well, slightly. Tyneside might be a long way from London but it has strutted its stuff on the screen. There was Get Carter (with that well-known Geordie Michael Caine), Stormy Monday and, on TV, When the Boat Comes In.

But the best insight into Tyneside character was provided by the great sitcom The Likely Lads. The main characters, Terry, the artful dodger, and Bob, the earnest striver, symbolise the Geordie yin and yang. In real life, Jimmy Nail (very nubbly) is a Terry, Tony Blair a Bob, Robson Green a Terry, Jerome Flynn a Bob. And Sting? Probably a Bob by now, even if he started out as a Terry. Ant and Dec? Hard to tell. In football, there are the Charlton brothers, Jack (Terry) and Bobby (Bob).

The sad thing about Tyneside is that the language is something of a barrier. The pungent Geordie expression "Haddaway and s****, man" has few equals as a term of scornful rejection but it cannot be said to travel. Which is why star migrants tend to iron out their accents. And why, consequently, thanks to its comparative isolation, linguistic or geographic, the North-east remains sensitive to criticism. Or indeed any statement construed as working its way towards being criticism.

Unequivocal endorsement of their aspirations is what they like. Before Keegan, the biggest wow on Tyneside ever was Jimmy Carter. The US President, on a visit to the North-east, started his speech outside Newcastle Civic Centre with a broad grin and the words: "Howway the lads!"

Newcastle folk are in general very warm and friendly but the Toon Army, it must be said, has a long hate list. Sunderland, and all its contents, occupies the first 10 places followed by Manchester United (too successful) and Arsenal (snooty Cockneys, even if they are now so French as to be Frockneys).

So then: warm, friendly and touchy, your Geordies. And really, truly, deeply aching for Wor Kevin to take The Lads in hand and lead them to success. Not just ordinary success but success with dash, flash and flair. And class. And... the list of requirements is long.

Tyneside may be wreathed in smiles now, but one suspects it may all end in tears again. Never mind, pet. It will be fun while it lasts. And there will be no shortage of nubbly headlines.

from todays independent.

I have e-mailed to inform the "expat" that milburn's statue hasn't stood on northumberland street for quite some time and that the fairs cup was never the equivilent of the champions league, or that andy capp is a north eastern caharcter not neecastle,especially given that bill tidy was a monkey hanger

i guess it's meant as a satirical piece so as a satirical right of reply maybe i could have 2 pages to defend Newcastle or perhaps do a similar piece on london.

i'll even use punctuaation, a spellchecker and such.

he may also care to address why his own newspaper carries the stat that kevin keegan was mnetioned 222 times in this weeks papers.....next most was kate moss on 56.........why are they obsessed with Newcastle and Newcastle united ?

January 21, 2008

Newcastle? Special? Sorry

Martin Samuel

Your football club is not special. Sorry. Your football club is not unique, it is not different and is no more distinctive and romantically captivating than any of the little quadrangles with floodlights littered throughout our land. Sorry.

Do not get me wrong, I know you think that it is special. I get that. I understand that, to you, your club is magical and wonderful and no outsider can hope to empathise with its complex and inimitable nature. You believe that no other club exists with the same passion or emotion and your sincerity is appreciated. It is just that, well, you are wrong. Sorry.

Whether blighted by tragedy or blessed by glory, whether filling a stadium with tens of thousands or surviving on a pittance and the devotion of a handful of diehards, just as you feel about your football club, so do millions of others. Everyone thinks that they have the prettiest wife at home, as Arsène Wenger said. Everyone thinks that they have the love supreme. But if everybody is special, then nobody is. So, Liverpool: not special. Manchester United: not special. Luton Town: not special. West Ham United: not special. Newcastle United: not special. Sorry.

Kevin Keegan talked a grand game in his opening address at St James’ Park. He divided the country into us and them: the good guys being the hard-toiling, blue-collar communities of the North East – bless them, for they are the salt of the earth – while beyond lie the London-based media and theatre-loving types who are against him, sneering and mocking and never knowing what makes his football club so rare. And at first his words seemed clever.

How smart instantly to tap into the shared humanity of the region, the vain belief that one little square of land is in some way superior to another patch 50 miles away, that its people have different and worthier values and aspirations. But on closer inspection, there is only one conclusion. Keegan had better have more than a chorus of Blaydon Races in his locker or it will be a long road ahead.

A few years ago, Derren Brown, the psychological illusionist, performed a trick in which he interviewed a group of strangers individually for a short period, to build up a distinctive mental profile. He then went away and wrote up these singular reports, handing them at random to the group. There were no names on the envelopes, but the instruction was to read what was inside and if a person believed that he had received his profile he should swap with a neighbour.

To a man, everybody attempted to change. And here is the trick. Each report was the same. There were no individual profiles, just one duplicated study. Brown played on human vanity, on our belief that we are special and different, to prove that we are basically the same. For instance, he wrote that the person in question was such a perfectionist that he sometimes struggled to achieve his aims. We would all like to believe that. We would all prefer to think that it is our quest for perfection that leads to failure, not ineptitude or inadequacy. And that is how it is at Newcastle.

They love the No 9 shirt on Tyneside and this is beguiling, but every club has its quirks, its iconic figures, memories and meanings that set it apart. In truth, the Toon is kidding itself. Equating failure to win a serious trophy since 1969 with a special affinity with cavalier football is just as flawed as the conviction that the best team lost the title in 1995-96, when Newcastle blew a 12-point lead.

In fact, Manchester United, the eventual champions, beat them home and away that season, with an aggregate score of 3-0. Southampton defeated Newcastle, too, as did Chelsea, West Ham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers. Indeed, in his previous time as Newcastle manager, when the team was in the top division and strong enough to win a trophy, Keegan lost domestic cup-ties against Wimbledon, Luton, Manchester City, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea and Middlesbrough. There were high times and exciting times, yes, but not every moment was perfect. Far from it.

Keegan got a special welcome on Saturday, too, but when the match began, it was not enough to inspire a win over Bolton Wanderers. Newcastle regards itself as a club apart because, in almost 40 years, what else could define it but the intangible? Unfortunately, the Premier League is not school sports day. Everyone is not a winner and nobody is special, despite what King Kev may tell the faithful.

And Martin Samuel joints the parade of t***s.

Don't get me wrong, Martin Samuel has proved himself to be a twat of the highest order for a long time now, but I don't see what is so controversial about the above article.

He's basically saying that everyone thinks they're special, and he's right.

Don't get me wrong, Martin Samuel has proved himself to be a twat of the highest order for a long time now, but I don't see what is so controversial about the above article.

He's basically saying that everyone thinks they're special, and he's right.

Just dont get WHY he has to join the long list of journalists who write articles that are trying to put us down.

Do journalists report news or do they now just write down their own personal views ?

Fair enough. I'd agree that it's not controversial to say everyone thinks their club is special. It struck me as rather gratuitous, though. Do other clubs take the same heat when a manager says the club is big or has a great history or the best supporters? I understand the situation is a bit different here, but is it that much different?