Chris Mort: Criteria for the new man in charge

WhatTheFunk

Houllier/Shearer sounds plausible at the moment, and I can't say that I'd mind that.

This is what I'm hearing, but that its going to be more of a case of Shearer/Houllier.

With those two, surely they'd have a bust up within six months and things would go to hell again.

- We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

With all the work he put in helping develop Clairefontaine I think Houllier would be perfect for the criteria the club have set.

I can see him running the club and Shearer taking charge on the training ground everyday, that's if they work together that is.

But what about the style of play?! Did you guys not watch Houllier's Liverpool team?!

Houllier's Lyon looked brilliant though.

Houllier/Shearer sounds plausible at the moment, and I can't say that I'd mind that.

This is what I'm hearing, but that its going to be more of a case of Shearer/Houllier.

With those two, surely they'd have a bust up within six months and things would go to hell again.

Not if it is clearly defined as to who does what.

Where have you been hearing this James?  :lol:

Why would there be? Houllier would take this job in the knowledge he's a babysitter, he's looking after and watching out for Shearer who will one day become manager, neither are going to forget that, and as long as they don't neither will step on each others toes.

Its healthy to have their own opinions, its why this will work well imo.

- We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

With all the work he put in helping develop Clairefontaine I think Houllier would be perfect for the criteria the club have set.

I can see him running the club and Shearer taking charge on the training ground everyday, that's if they work together that is.

But what about the style of play?! Did you guys not watch Houllier's Liverpool team?!

no. Le Guen's Lyon looked brilliant and Houllier inherited that.

Guest shaun11177

i disagree that only great managers can combine winning and stylish play-its great players that really matter. The best passing teams are those with the best technical players.A good Manager can get more out of this squad but there will be no challenge for the top 4 until we invest in the playing squad.

Also the new Manager wont have time to spend on the youth set-up-that should be a Director of Football's job.

By the way ... what evidence do we have that Shearer will not be happy to be a number 2?

You hear it all the time from everyone except him. Is he really that arrogant? If so why?

He's never managed anyone before, and I really can't see why he would be against starting off as the number 2 to an older experienced guy like Houllier who he would know for certain that he would eventually take over from. Especially as he would be jumping straight into premier league management, which even Roy Keane didn't do, with no contacts or anything.

I think we ought to give Shearer a bit more credit. I think he would be happy with that.

no. Le Guen's Lyon looked brilliant and Houllier inherited that.

With the heart and engine room sold don't forget. Essien & Diarra were taken away and Houllier did just as well as Le Guen.

They were never that bad so lets not go over the top, they were no worse than what Man City are now under Sven for style of play and everyone is wanking over them.

Hard to think of an idea that has more stacked against it. Houllier's previous experience of joint managership didn't work. If Shearer is his assistant, he'd have the fan's favourite and potential future manager working behind him, and the minute things go wrong everyone's going to be speculating about Shearer taking over. What's more, Shearer is very much a leader who would want to assert his own ideas.

Nothing to commend this at all. It's just people wanting to get Shearer involved but not wanting to take the chance on his inexperience.

By the way ... what evidence do we have that Shearer will not be happy to be a number 2?

You hear it all the time from everyone except him. Is he really that arrogant? If so why?

He's never managed anyone before, and I really can't see why he would be against starting off as the number 2 to an older experienced guy like Houllier who he would know for certain that he would eventually take over from. Especially as he would be jumping straight into premier league management, which even Roy Keane didn't do, with no contacts or anything.

I think we ought to give Shearer a bit more credit. I think he would be happy with that.

He was technically no2 under Roeder before he retired.

A Houllier/Shearer partnership sounds like the best of both worlds to me, though I think their roles would have to very clearly defined early on so people know where they stand. Also if we do crap with that set-up, how much of that would rub off on Shearer?

He was technically no2 under Roeder before he retired.

Number 3 tbf.

Not going to name my source, but it comes indirectly from an associate of Houllier.

Not going to name my source, but it comes indirectly from an associate of Houllier.

:lol:

Guest Micktoon

Houllier and Thompson didn't last long a Liverpool

Didn't it?

Is Mick not thinking of Houllier/Evans?

Thats the one, I knew what I was on about :razz: