Deschamps jumps from 80/1 to favourite with bookmakers

Guest hindu times
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"I have had no official approach from Newcastle but I am flattered to be linked with such speculation," France's 1998 World Cup-winning captain told The Daily Telegraph.

"It would be an exciting challenge. Newcastle are a big club."

-Basically he knows nothing of Newcastle's interest, and is responding to the media speculation, by admitting Newcastle are a big club.

As much as I am excited by the prospect of bringing in an exciting young manager like Deschamps, it is a hell of a gamble in my opinion. We are currently 6 points off relegation, can't score or defend, the confidence is shot to shit and we are in desperate need of some new players. I'd be amazed if Deschamps knew more than a handful of our players and he certainly won't know the domestic transfer market.

I think this would be a great appointment, but just think that it is the wrong time to do it. Hughes would be a much safer choice.

Latest rumour for anyone looking to get in early before the odds start to tumble is Mark McGhee. A couple of my lads are working in Motherwell this week and all the talk in the bar last night was that McGhee has turned down the Scotland job because he has a better offer on the table. Spoke to one of the lads this morning and he has been into Ladbrokes there and stuck £50 on McGhee at 800-1!

Not even sure there will be another name.

We haven't contacted Hughes either.

Shearer has been told he's not wanted.

Redknapp wasn't interested.

Houllier wasn't interested.

Mort has basically ruled out any top tier manager with ambition.

How many more names can be trotted out, only for them to turn down the job or deny they have been in contact with the club? If the club claim they are talking to candidates and the media haven't dragged up the name of any of those candidates yet then who are they?

My feeling is that those that have been in conversation with the club have been told not to reveal to the media that they are doing so. If I'm wrong, then I'd start to get concerned as the next set of options could include the likes of Venables and McClaren.

Latest rumour for anyone looking to get in early before the odds start to tumble is Mark McGhee. A couple of my lads are working in Motherwell this week and all the talk in the bar last night was that McGhee has turned down the Scotland job because he has a better offer on the table. Spoke to one of the lads this morning and he has been into Ladbrokes there and stuck £50 on McGhee at 800-1!

There is no way he got those odds.  You get shorter odds on the likes of Ant and Dec...

Motherwell have given him permission to speak to the SFA...

SSN breaking news.

His agent says no contact with Newcastle.

That's what was revealed last night. But I'm refusing to believe that none of these 'favourites' that have cropped up over the past week have spoken to the club.

If the club isn't approaching them then either they have a top tier manager lined up or are eyeing up someone shit that's not even on our radar yet.

BBC have taken a more positive spin on this piece of breaking news:

Didier Deschamps has not been approached for the Newcastle manager's job, but is interested in the position, according to his agent.

The ex-Juventus boss and World Cup winner is the bookmakers' favourite to succeed Sam Allardyce.

"At the moment we do not have contact with the club, nobody has called us," agent Jeannot Werth told BBC Sport.

When asked whether the former France captain was interested in the job Werth replied: "Yes, why not?"

tbh, its quite possible that Mort has told candidates that they are one of many in talks, so try to avoid confirming any talks have taken place, as there is a chance that you could become known as someone whom has been rejected by Newcastle.

Deschamps back out to 7-1 now and Keegan Fav again, think its fair to say no one has a clue!

Yeah but odds aren't generally devised upon itk's info.  It's based on the amount of money going on any given manager.  I assume Deschamps had a boat load put on him yesterday and now betting has cooled as it's not worth the risk.  You hear a rumour it might happen and the odds are at 80-1 your likely to put 20 quid on or summit.  When its down to 7-2 you be thinking...  it's not really worth it for a rumour, I think I'll spend the 20 quid on making a banner for Souness telling him to keep the f*** away.

There is no way he got those odds.  You get shorter odds on the likes of Ant and Dec...

He has come down to 50-1 at Ladbrokes now, you can still get 120-1 on betfair.

Mind you I dont think it will be him, just passing on what I am told.