Deschamps jumps from 80/1 to favourite with bookmakers

Guest hindu times
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who do you think'll be the new favourite 2morra?

I love the fact that the media are largely clueless, not a chance of this happening with FS at the helm.

My bet will be Co Adriaanse, or van Basten.

I think it'll be Graham Taylor in the papers tomorrow

DIDIER DESCHAMPS is the shock new name at the top of Newcastle’s wanted list.

SunSport can reveal that the former Juventus and Monaco boss is due to be interviewed by Magpies owner Mike Ashley on Tyneside today.

Deschamps captained France to World Cup triumph in 1998 while a player.

Since then he has put together a highly impressive CV as a top coach.

He guided Monaco to the 2004 Champions League final, which they lost to Jose Mourinho’s Porto.

Deschamps then went to Juve, after the match-fixing scandal saw them relegated to Serie B.

The ex-Chelsea midfielder saw the Turin side return to the top flight in just one season before leaving and has been out of work since the start of this campaign.

Agents working for Newcastle have arranged for him to fly to England and he has now become one of the front-runners for the St James’ Park job after Sam Allardyce’s sacking last week.

Deschamps speaks very good English and is keen to get back into management.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article691787.ece

The only thing Deschamps has on his coaching cv is a Serie B championship - I think we need something better than this.

Getting an unfancied French side to the CL final and losing to arguably the best manager in the world good enough?

Is it? I'd hate to think we were hiring a manager off one excellent cup run.

Group stage

PSV 1–2 Monaco

Monaco 4–0 AEK Athens

Deportivo 1–0 Monaco

Monaco 8–3 Deportivo

Monaco 1–1 PSV

AEK Athens 0–0 Monaco

Knockout stage

Lokomotiv Moscow 2-1 Monaco

Monaco 1-0 Lokomotiv Moscow

Quarter-finals

Real Madrid 4-2 Monaco

Monaco 3-1 Real Madrid

Semi-finals

Monaco 3-1 Chelsea

Chelsea 2-2 Monaco

Final

Monaco 0-3 Porto

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Great achievement but is all the hype really coming because of that? He jumped ship when Monaco were 15th after being there 16 months and took an excellent Juventus squad with plenty of top players out of Serie B, he left them after falling out over transfers or something.

Like I've said, I'm not knocking the bloke because I don't know that much about him, I'm guessing some on here who are jumping on the bandwagon don't know that much about him either, I'm approaching his appointment with an open mind but I'd like someone to tell me what is so good about him.

See, im personally behind this appointment because of what he has already achieved in such a short career. Although it can be argued that he hasnt acheived a geat deal with Juve becasue of the talent of players at his disposal, the bottom line is that he did achieve his goal and was able to use his skill as a manager to forge a team that won, it showed that he previous achievement at Monaco werent fluke.

There is a big gamble with this appointment, but itwouldbe an appointment whichi would support to the end on the basis of pure ambition that it would show, to employ and young well reknowned manager who has a reasonalbe record so far. It wouldnt be an appointment which would be reactive to any problems that we have, but rather one which is pro active.

He is a man which a limit cant be put, either achievemnt wise or career length wise. The same cant be said for Houllier who hasnt achieved great success in the CL, with either Liverpool or Lyon (QF). houllier is also a candidarte that doesnt tick all the criteria.

To summarise, i basically think that it would be appointment which no one could really scrutinze too much, if he was to get the job and suceed we would be onto a long term winner and the sky is truly the limit, if he fails, i dont believe that the board can be criticized for his appointment beucase they showed a good level of ambition in trying to sign one of brighest young managers in the game.

Is it possible to come 3rd with monaco, 1st with juve and get a CL final with Monaco purely by luck? There is a level of competence there which shows that he is a capable manager.

Rob Stewart and Alex Hayes

Didier Deschamps

Flattered: Didier Deschamps is favourite to become manager

The odds on Deschamps, 39, taking the helm at St James' Park plunged from 80-1 to 2-1 yesterday although suggestions the former Monaco and Juventus manager was already flying to Tyneside for talks with Newcastle's billionaire owner, Mike Ashley, were wide of the mark.

Are all journalists taught that as a stock phrase or is Oliver moonlighting under another name?

Guest Ridzuan

I will be happy with Deschamps.I like the time when he was the manager of Monaco and then went he move to Juventus,I thought he did a pretty good job as well.Hes very experienced,his CV is great and I think he could be a good candidate for the job,I would prefer him over Houllier.

The only thing Deschamps has on his coaching cv is a Serie B championship - I think we need something better than this.

Getting an unfancied French side to the CL final and losing to arguably the best manager in the world good enough?

Is it? I'd hate to think we were hiring a manager off one excellent cup run.

Group stage

PSV 1–2 Monaco

Monaco 4–0 AEK Athens

Deportivo 1–0 Monaco

Monaco 8–3 Deportivo

Monaco 1–1 PSV

AEK Athens 0–0 Monaco

Knockout stage

Lokomotiv Moscow 2-1 Monaco

Monaco 1-0 Lokomotiv Moscow

Quarter-finals

Real Madrid 4-2 Monaco

Monaco 3-1 Real Madrid

Semi-finals

Monaco 3-1 Chelsea

Chelsea 2-2 Monaco

Final

Monaco 0-3 Porto

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Great achievement but is all the hype really coming because of that? He jumped ship when Monaco were 15th after being there 16 months and took an excellent Juventus squad with plenty of top players out of Serie B, he left them after falling out over transfers or something.

Like I've said, I'm not knocking the bloke because I don't know that much about him, I'm guessing some on here who are jumping on the bandwagon don't know that much about him either, I'm approaching his appointment with an open mind but I'd like someone to tell me what is so good about him.

See, im personally behind this appointment because of what he has already achieved in such a short career. Although it can be argued that he hasnt acheived a geat deal with Juve becasue of the talent of players at his disposal, the bottom line is that he did achieve his goal and was able to use his skill as a manager to forge a team that won, it showed that he previous achievement at Monaco werent fluke.

There is a big gamble with this appointment, but itwouldbe an appointment whichi would support to the end on the basis of pure ambition that it would show, to employ and young well reknowned manager who has a reasonalbe record so far. It wouldnt be an appointment which would be reactive to any problems that we have, but rather one which is pro active.

He is a man which a limit cant be put, either achievemnt wise or career length wise. The same cant be said for Houllier who hasnt achieved great success in the CL, with either Liverpool or Lyon (QF). houllier is also a candidarte that doesnt tick all the criteria.

To summarise, i basically think that it would be appointment which no one could really scrutinze too much, if he was to get the job and suceed we would be onto a long term winner and the sky is truly the limit, if he fails, i dont believe that the board can be criticized for his appointment beucase they showed a good level of ambition in trying to sign one of brighest young managers in the game.

Is it possible to come 3rd with monaco, 1st with juve and get a CL final with Monaco purely by luck? There is a level of competence there which shows that he is a capable manager.

I remember watching that game against Chelsea, if I remember correctly one of his players got sent off but instead trying to keep the score 1-0 he sent on an attacking player, I think it was Morientes! and end up winning the game. there's no doubt he likes to play attacking football 

Guest bluegeordie

At this point in the proceedings of what nufc.com have labelled The North-East Enders, I no longer know who I am, where I belong, what I value, who I love, the essential difference between right and wrong etc etc, never mind who the fuck I want as our next manager!!! Honestly, although it's inevitable and entirely understandable, all the speculation (which, against my better judgment, I just can't resist following) is beginning to do my head in. In fact, I think I might ask my GP if I can be placed in a medical coma until the situation is resolved, and then woken up if (and only if) it ends up being what looks like a good appointment ... although of course at this stage I don't even know what would constitute such a "good appointment"!

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!  :cheesy: :frantic:  :crazy2:  :cheesy: :frantic: :crazy2:

Okay, let me calm down, breathe slowly into a brown paper bag, and carefully gather my thoughts.

Alright then, I think that if we're going to go British (and contrary to how I felt a week or so ago), I can live with a Shearer-and-old-head combination (like Houllier, but preferably not KK, for reasons that others have already spelt out). I could also live, albeit without much genuine excitement, with the appointment of Mark Hughes, who I feel would do a solid enough job, even if he didn't manage to take us to the "promised land" of silverware. As for the rest of the feasible British candidates, I can't say that I'd be happy with any of them, and many fill me with absolute dread (McClaren especially ... I'm assuming that Souness is not "feasible" to anyone but himself).

If we do end up going for a foreign manager, then there are several who I'd be happy to see arrive, including Hitzfeld and van Gaal, who still don't seem entirely beyond the realms of possibility to me. Even though it's looking less and less likely, I'd also be reasonably comfortable with Houllier coming on board, but preferably in a supporting role for Shearer. As for Deschamps, I'm not quite sure how I feel. Of course he has an incredible pedigree as a player, but then previous Toon managerial nightmares like Gullit, Ardiles, and even Souness weren't exactly struggling in that department. In terms of positives, Deschamps is also at a good age if we want the chance (however remote) of seriously long term stability, and what he achieved with Monaco in the Champions League was impressive. On the other hand though, his managerial CV is not exactly overflowing, and he wouldn't have the same grasp as, say, a Shearer about the English game in general, and The Toon in particular. In the end then, where Deschamps is concerned, I wouldn't be certain he's a bad appointment, but neither would I be convinced he's a good one. In short, he'd be a massive risk and we'd be taking a huge gamble (at least equal to Shearer, especially if Shearer had the abovementioned "old-head" alongside him) and in truth I'd be absolutely shitting myself about how it would all turn out.

Life as a Newcastle supporter, hey - never dull, usually painful, always stressful. The North-East Enders indeed! Let's just hope that the season finale is a good one.

Isn't he just like Klinsmann/Shearer/Van Basten? I don't see any difference between any in those group. They're all relatively inexperienced but had great footballing careers and is widely respected around the world.

On a tangential note, I think each of them are different and it's up to Mort to identify which one of them will fit in with the club best. Frank Rijkaard relegated the first club team he managed, then got sacked. But somehow, for his second job, he was appointed manager of Barcelona. Laporta and co saw something in Rijkaard and knew he'd be good and he's proven them right. I hope Mort/Ashley can be as astute and ambitious.

Trophies that has been won by Deschamps.

European Champion 2000

World Champion 1998

Winner of the Champions League

Finalist 1993 and 1996

1997 and 1998

Finalist 1995

Winner of the European Supercup 1996

Winner of the Intercontinental Cup 1996

French Champion 1990 and 1992

Italian Champion 1995, 97 and 98

Winner of the Italian Cup 1995

Winner of the Italian Supercup

Finalist 1995 and 1997

Most capped player in the French team

103 caps : 68 victories, 23 draws, 12 lost – 4 goals

Seriously dont get your hopes up, I would be hugely suprised if he was even under serious consideration let alone get appointed.

That said the quotes in the guardian today are reasonably hopeful.

"I have had no official approach from Newcastle but I am flattered to be linked with such speculation," Deschamps said last night. "It would be an exciting challenge. Newcastle are a big club."

I don't see how this appointment would be a massive risk and a huge gamble.

You are getting one of the most promising managers in the world. The others will be working with the likes of Holland, Bayern Munich, Valencia next term!!

JUVENTUS trusted him and gave him the job in the worst days of its history. How can't Newcastle, who is currently eleventh at the table??!!

Alan Shearer would be a real gamble, with no experience at all. Might be a good national coach, but given the club's situation, the task is too heavy.

Redknapp, Jol, Houiller, Hughes.. Yes, they all seem to be safe options but I can't imagine them taking the club into top 5.

What we need is a new era, a new hope..A broader vision..An attractive style of football with international stars and to-be-stars..

This guy's got CL experience, he has worked with the best players in the world..

He's hungry for success and glory..His motivation is at its peak..

Even if Van Gaal, Hiddink and Hitzfeld were available, I'd go for Deschamps.

Isn't he just like Klinsmann/Shearer/Van Basten? I don't see any difference between any in those group. They're all relatively inexperienced but had great footballing careers and is widely respected around the world.

On a tangential note, I think each of them are different and it's up to Mort to identify which one of them will fit in with the club best. Frank Rijkaard relegated the first club team he managed, then got sacked. But somehow, for his second job, he was appointed manager of Barcelona. Laporta and co saw something in Rijkaard and knew he'd be good and he's proven them right. I hope Mort/Ashley can be as astute and ambitious.

Wouldn't put Deschamps in that group. He's managed two club sides and has no national experience. 

Van Basten: Netherlands 2004-2008

Shearer: Nothing

Klinsmann: Germany 2004-2006

Deschamps: Monaco 2001-2005, Juventus 2006-2007

Guest torontoon

At first glance I was against his appointment, however the more I think about it I'm warming to the idea. There is a distinct possibility that he could turn out to be another Wenger with a pipeline to excellent young French kids who would jump at the chance to join such a famous ex-player. I realise that he could also fall flat on his face but we're taking a risk whoever we hire. There are no guarantees that even the Mourinho's of football would succeed.