Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Just watched the full interview of him and Steve Harmison, loved every second of it. I could listen to him speak for hours, the way he talks about the club, the people and the fans and his love for football is just amazing.

Would love him to come back for one last time in the future. Under new owners, renewed fan optimism and a promise of free-flowing attacking football and giving every game a go no matter who we're playing. Actually looking forward to a game throughout the week and not going to SJP knowing we're in for 90 minutes of shite football and a comprehensive defeat.

My absolute dream that it'll happen again one day.

I think his time as manager has gone now but I too hope he is back at the club or day. He lifted the club as a player, saved us as a manager and hopefully can resurrect the club on a boardroom level someday soon. If anyone ever buys Ashley out then they should look no where else for the perfect figurehead.

• 1 month later...

Did we even spend that much money under KK? When i think back he was brilliant in the transfer market and always seem to get a couple of good years out of players before selling them on for more money which ironically would've suited MA's business model :lol:

Would love to know the Net cost on his signings if anybody has the figures (?) with only Shearer being the obvious case of not getting any financial return transfer wise...

Did we even spend that much money under KK? When i think back he was brilliant in the transfer market and always seem to get a couple of good years out of players before selling them on for more money which ironically would've suited MA's business model :lol:

Would love to know the Net cost on his signings if anybody has the figures (?) with only Shearer being the obvious case of not getting any financial return transfer wise...

it was a fair amount for the time (not by modern standards obviously) damned if I can remember any figures but off the top of my head the only major sale under him was Cole, the sales of Ginola, Ferdinand etc came after him irrc.

He spent a fair whack of money for those days like, especially in 1995 - Ferdinand, Ginola, Hislop and Barton cost £14m between them at a time when the British transfer record was £7m for Cole (or maybe £8.5m for Collymore, actually).

it was a fair amount for the time (not by modern standards obviously) damned if I can remember any figures but off the top of my head the only major sale under him was Cole, the sales of Ginola, Ferdinand etc came after him irrc.

I intended for those to be taken in account also...

Off the top of my head with little thought we got our money back for Ferdinand and Ginola and doubled what we paid for Fox and trippled what we paid for Cole... We even got £750k for Kevin Scott off Spurs iirc :lol:

Might have been actually. Either way, it was ridiculous - could barely defend and he played for fucking Wimbledon.

Halcyon days though.

Sounds better coming from JFK, like. Something about taking him from Sunday League to being the most expensive defender of all time.

I intended for those to be taken in account also...

Off the top of my head with little thought we got our money back for Ferdinand and Ginola and doubled what we paid for Fox and trippled what we paid for Cole... We even got £750k for Kevin Scott off Spurs iirc :lol:

while I'm reasonably certain thats true I find it highly unlikely he'd have agreed to the sales if he was still here.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

:smitten:

It’s a travesty that he’s not associated with the club in some shape or form! I’d have him back as manager any day!

I used to scoff at this idea, but things have gotten so bad that the very idea of having him in any way associated with this club is honestly heartwarming, if pure fantasy.

"In the semi-final awaited a Real Madrid side containing “Black Lightning”, the Englishman Laurie Cunningham. A 2-0 defeat at the Bernabéu left HSV reeling, but the loss merely served to set up one of this team’s hallmark performances. Given license to do so by Zebec, the German side took off the handbrake in the return leg. They played the match at full tilt, with only one thing in mind: scoring goals. Against a defence shielded by Vicente del Bosque, Keegan and HSV ran riot, swarming all over the Madrid outfit from the moment the game began. Less than 20 minutes had passed and the deficit had been erased through goals from Kaltz and Hrubesch.

With HSV still pouring forward, Cunningham pulled one back, but it was for nothing. The players walked off at half-time with the score reading HSV 4-1 Real Madrid. Full-time brought a 5-1 finish, a 5-3 aggregate win for HSV. That night, they had played “football from another planet”. It was, as described by Netzer: “the funniest and best thing I’ve ever seen from HSV.” The team he had sculpted would contest the 1980 European Cup final against Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest.

Central to it all was the little man from the north of England, a scampering dribbler with a bubble-perm taking on and beating Europe’s best. As much as anyone else, Keegan was the catalyst for HSV’s rise. Yet, in his typically forward-thinking way, he was already pondering the next step. As it had been for his Liverpool career back in 1977, the European Cup final would be a curtain call for Keegan at HSV."

The above is what football is all about.