Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Guest thenorthumbrian

I can't blame anyone for having their own opinion on something, however how anyone can't see Keegan is one of the most important/influential people in our recent history doesn't make sense to me in the slightest. Not once, not twice but 3 times he came in our hour of need and all three times he delivered. One of my all time heroes and with good measure.

The football we played under Keegan was the best we had seen. It has never been matched since.

We were called the entertainers and every bodies favourite second team for a reason.

Remember when I went to watch training at Maiden Castle, and he was already in his car after finishing training etc, and signing loads of autographs. When I went over he got straight back out of the car to sign my top.

I've just ordered that Ian Ridley book about him, looking forward to reading.

Do you resent Keegan for walking out?

No, not in itself. I resent the bullshit that's come in the wake of each walkout.

In the first case, he walked when the transfer money ran out. In the second case, he walked when he realised that he wasn't going to change the owner's policy and get him to spend - the Gonzalez issue gave him the opportunity to go with his nose clean.

And of course, with England he was a failure because there's no opportunity to spend money. You have to work with what you have.

Keegan will always have a special place in the club's history, because he was the catalyst for changing the club's thinking from small club to big club. Unfortunately, he didn't have the all-round ability to capitalise on the opportunity that - in fairness - he largely created for himself by hauling the club's ownership in the direction that he wanted.

Are you special needs?

I had doubts about his walkouts too at various points, and I wished he could have put aside whatever his problems were at the time. I think he is an idealist to a certain extent, which is essential to what makes him so great as well.

But it doesn't change the fact that overall he's an absolute legend and the best person ever likely to be associated with NUFC in my lifetime.

(Or joint best with Bobby)

I had doubts about his walkouts too at various points, and I wished he could have put aside whatever his problems were at the time. I think he is an idealist to a certain extent, which is essential to what makes him so great as well.

But it doesn't change the fact that overall he's an absolute legend and the best person ever likely to be associated with NUFC in my lifetime.

you know I never quite thought of it that way (god knows why not) but that is perhaps the best description for him and it can be his biggest strength-and weakness, he's was an idealist in a profession (management) which rarely rewards the idealist. His first spell here best football we've probably all seen from nufc but (and this is real what if stuff) maybe a little more pragmatism and nufc win the title and who knows what might have happened then.

The way his second spell ended always left me a bit uncomfortable in the sense the given reason for his leaving was a loan signing not exactly end of the world stuff-of coarse that could just have been the convient excuse for a lot of other things he wasn't happy with and lord knows Ashleys probably not the most pleasant guy to work for but I wish he could have just dealt with it and gave it his best shot but he left and the consequences are still felt to this day as that opened the massive faultline on Ashley which has only been exacerbated since.

Do you resent Keegan for walking out?

No, not in itself. I resent the bullshit that's come in the wake of each walkout.

In the first case, he walked when the transfer money ran out. In the second case, he walked when he realised that he wasn't going to change the owner's policy and get him to spend - the Gonzalez issue gave him the opportunity to go with his nose clean.

Not true, really.

The first time he left as the club was on the verge of, or just had become a PLC. It wasn't because money had run out that he walked, but the fact there would be a lot more people watching/dictating when players would be bought and/or need to be sold to balance books. This was borne out the summer afterwards (with Dalglish was manager), when the club sold Ferdinand, as it gave them the opportunity to get their money back for him. Keegan would never be happy with that situation, and rightly so.

And the second time, it wasn't about being unable to get the owner to spend - remember, we'd just signed Coloccini for near £10m not long before he left the second time. It was about not being dictated who would be signed for him by a cretin like Dennis Wise - again, he was bang on for his stance in the situation.

you know I never quite thought of it that way (god knows why not) but that is perhaps the best description for him and it can be his biggest strength-and weakness, he's was an idealist in a profession (management) which rarely rewards the idealist. His first spell here best football we've probably all seen from nufc but (and this is real what if stuff) maybe a little more pragmatism and nufc win the title and who knows what might have happened then.

The way his second spell ended always left me a bit uncomfortable in the sense the given reason for his leaving was a loan signing not exactly end of the world stuff-of coarse that could just have been the convient excuse for a lot of other things he wasn't happy with and lord knows Ashleys probably not the most pleasant guy to work for but I wish he could have just dealt with it and gave it his best shot but he left and the consequences are still felt to this day as that opened the massive faultline on Ashley which has only been exacerbated since.

Yeah, I think it's essential to his personality that he has big aims and likes to believe that you can achieve anything with positivity. Just it leads him to frustration and disillusionment in the murky world of football management.

Like I say, I wondered whether he could have put some things aside and just continued for the benefit of the club as well, but at the end of the day he wouldn't be the same man if he didn't have that strong idealist streak to his personality. And let's face it, football (and especially Newcastle) was quickly moving to the point where achievement and pleasing the fans has become a distant second priority.

It's a shame that somehow, someway SBR and Keegan couldn't be part of this club together at the same time. It's a shame that SBR didn't come in right after either. We'd have won something had he taken THAT team over.

Yeah, agreed, he should have carried on and become like Peter Beardsley and Bobby Moncur, sucking Mike Ashley off on the back page of the Chronicle every week and telling the supporters how stupid they are for not joining them on their knees. That would have been ace. :thup:

Yeah, agreed, he should have carried on and become like Peter Beardsley and Bobby Moncur, sucking Mike Ashley off on the back page of the Chronicle every week and telling the supporters how stupid they are for not joining them on their knees. That would have been ace. :thup:

Absolutely - just carry on under Ashley and his mafia as if everything was OK, and just forget that they lied through their teeth about Schweinsteiger being signed to replace Milner...

Yep, KK should have thought about 'the good of the club'....just like Ashley did....!!

Guest reefatoon

Cronky man, just give up. Absolutely no one is going to agree to your warped and baffling views of KK. You are just wasting everyone's time spouting total garbage.

Guest firetotheworks

He could have negotiated an agreed separation, instead of going for his £25million and dragging the club through that long and hugely destructive period.

I think you know why you're talking shit but you're doing it anyway. Keegan's explained before that you can't deal with them because they tell you one thing and mean another. They were found guilty of and admitted to lying. When has it ever been not Mike Ashley's way? At the time of it happening Ashley stayed on his holiday and didn't bother to try and fix it.

Even with all of that, you're Kevin Keegan, 50+ years experience in football, an ex-England manager that's proven at the very top level, a man who almost single-handedly saved this club and you've got Luka Modric coming in to sign purely on the back of his agent loving Keegan as a player, then an ex-Chelsea groundsman says he's not good enough and they take his word over Keegan's. Fuck that. And where would it end?

When did he score a diving header against QPR?

It was a right footed shot wasn't it after a 1-2 with Varadi?  I was pissed but sure I remembered that right.

It was indeed - remember it like it was yesterday!  :D

Can't see how that view makes someone a troll. Do you not think curbishley could have guided us in from there?

Have you seen Curbishley's record in the second half of seasons?

Anyway it was 9 points once the full weekend schedule of games had been completed and Man U let a 12 point gap slip a couple of seasons later against Arsenal so its not like it hasn't happened before or after. We were a 2 goal swing against Man U away from winning the league less than 5 years after being one game away from the third tier of the league structure, yes it was a step too far but only a tiny step

Guest antz1uk

i absolutely love what Keegan did for us, was all great times along with the timing, best ride newcastle ever had on the crest of that wave, Football was changing, the Champions league was developing and the premier leaugue money was just starting to become something big. hell, even blackburn won the leaugue. however some of the levels of love keegan gets on here at times is OTT imo. SBR gave us more direction and stability. some folk on here have even said Keegan was the best man ever to be associated with us and sould have a stand/statue, what about Joe Harvey?

I grew up with KK, from player to manager and as much as i loved him, both times, he wasn't the best manager ever, nor was he completely blameless. some of the commwnts i've read on here, well no wonder we get some of the stick from other fans