Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Just watched a compilation made by 'toojling', I assume its tooj?

Fucking hell man, players bombing forward, centre halves scoring in open play, Steve Watson taking on the Liverpool back 4 and chipping the keeper, les Ferdinand, Peter Beardsley, rob lee, that Liverpool game, keegan.

:jesuswept:

I'm just glad I can talk about this great man now without someone (usually a 20 year old) come back at me telling me he's a coward who tried to sue the club for all we had. My Twitter and Facebook timelines probably get sick of me posting about Keegan, I love the bloke.

Guest Howaythetoon

Football is not about winning trophies, it's about winning battles and you decide what the battles are.

That is toe-curlingly stupid.

He is right, there is what 4 trophies to be won for any PL side? Football should be about enjoyment, about freedom of expression and about involving the fans as much as possible. Ironically, KK won the lot with those principles and his NUFC were more than capable of winning the lot.

Me, I love KK, my whole understanding of football, my love for it, my love of my club and all the ideals and hopes and dreams I hold dear are all as a result of him and what he brought to us, the game, and how he sees things. The man is fucking better than the lot, trophies or no trophies. We could have won a cup under Pardew, played inithe CL and been a steady top 4 side and I would never swap it for any part of the time that KK was here first time around.

He come into this club on the verge of relegation to the old 3rd division and going bust, looked around at a team of youngsters and strays playing in a run down stadium and thought "we can be the best team in the land", fuck me man, imagine that?

KK talked of the fans positivity and energy for their club, but none had as much as he did and he wasn't even a Geordie. But he got us and got the club and that's because deep down he was one of us and still is. I would trust that man with my life.

Thankfully I me the man had a good 20 minutes or so chat with him.

See id love to hear Keegan speak like that, but them sort of dinner speeches are always ruined by knobheads shouting out at every opportunity trying to be funny.

'You sold him' when he mentioned Andy Cole and the cringey shouting that followed, fucking hate people sometimes.

Guest Howaythetoon

Btw the message he wrote on a bit of paper for my mate's son who is tiny was immense. The man is so sincere and genuine, I don't think there has been anyone like him as a manager, imagine how joyfull footy would be if more had his attitude and outlook.

Btw the message he wrote on a bit of paper for my mate's son who is tiny was immense. The man is so sincere and genuine, I don't think there has been anyone like him as a manager, imagine how joyfull footy would be if more had his attitude and outlook.

Genuinely devastating that we'll never see a manager of his or Sir Bobby's like again or a player like Shearer again. I know I'm extremely lucky to have witnessed it in my lifetime, but it makes what we've turned into all that harder to swallow.

There is no one around right now that has the same persona/ideals as those two, truly two unique managers of the game.

Football is not about winning trophies, it's about winning battles and you decide what the battles are.

So stupid is Keegan's footballing philosophy that we won promotion under him at the first attempt, qualified for Europe at the first attempt and then were one win against Man U away from taking the league title for the first time in 70 years.

I'm just glad I can talk about this great man now without someone (usually a 20 year old) come back at me telling me he's a coward who tried to sue the club for all we had. My Twitter and Facebook timelines probably get sick of me posting about Keegan, I love the bloke.

People seriously hold this opinion?  :lol:

Guest lincoln_imp
We almost achieved the impossible, winning the championship with a squad built on pure football. We should have won it and if we had it would not only have changed Newcastle United for good but all of football. Coaches would have been encouraged to go down our path, to rid us of a negativity that is stifling our game.

"Instead coaches nowadays produce clones of themselves. Cautious players with a negative attitude.

What a beautiful way of putting it.

Things like this just wind me up no end looking at the amount of absolute cloggers England have produced in terms of managers. I saw some statistic on the BBC yesterday listing which clubs played the least short passes (and consequently the most long passes) and the six clubs that produced the least short passes were Palace/Burnley/QPR/Leicester/West Ham/Hull City, all dinosaur English filth.

Just imagine how much better the PL would be if Keegan did get his wish and all the above embraced attacking footy instead of the shite on a stick they serve up on a weekly basis

:bruce: :bruce: :bruce: :bruce: :bruce: :bruce:

He was always impetuous and would spit the dummy out but my god he could inspire players and fans alike.

Quite how we managed to get him as a player still baffles me, I was on hols in Italy when it was announced and simply didn't believe it.

Those on here who'd been regulars from relegation to where we were just before he arrived (I'll excuse Peter Withe from that) will remember like me that debut against QPR, the queuing beforehand, the sun, the anticipation, the atmosphere for the whole day and that goal. It changed the club and for the present troubles we presently have, they wouldn't be here were it not for KK and very possibly that debut. We were a club going nowhere, in a shit ground with a team of diddly squat. We'd no doubt at some point have turned a corner but we'd now be a West Brom a West Ham or a Sunderland or such like. I'm not saying that's a bad thing from where we were and plenty of fans will tell us we're small time or delusional but directly from that QPR game I have memories of nearly winning the league, fantastic football and trips to Barcelona, Turin, Milan and many others which most other clubs can't compare with.

KK will always be the man.

People seriously hold this opinion?  [emoji38]

You obviously didn't post on here a few years ago then.

So stupid is Keegan's footballing philosophy that we won promotion under him at the first attempt, qualified for Europe at the first attempt and then were one win against Man U away from taking the league title for the first time in 70 years.

Not even the Man U away game, the Man U home game we battered them, particularly the first half. We'd have went into the last match of the season on 80 points, with Man Utd on 76 if that had finished say, 2-1.

Not even the Man U away game, the Man U home game we battered them, particularly the first half. We'd have went into the last match of the season on 80 points, with Man Utd on 76 if that had finished say, 2-1.

Yeah, I mean 'away' from the winning the league. :lol: They deservedly battered us at OT.

Unfortunately, I believe that KKs long love affair with NUFC has ended permanently.

He is 64 now and with the best will in the world, there is very little chance of him being approached to join the club in ANY capacity whilst Ashley owns it and that is now likely to carry on for some years following the latest Sky TV deal with the PL. Even if there was a takeover next year, KK will be getting to the stage of being DoF or nothing...SBR was a bit of an exception as was SAF and both had had long careers in management winning trophies.

Nobody who was around for KKs 2 years as a player, or the amazing 5 years when he was our manager will forget those periods

in the club's history and the rush of adrenaline that accompanied most of the games....even the promotion season was amazing

and I'll never forget John Hall's gobsmacked look when he found out that 7000 had been locked out against...Grimsby at SJP.

There was so much to remember....Harry Palmer's crazy music which somehow seemed to characterize the whole feeling around the club at the time - nobody could quite believe it was happening.

Then the amazing 3rd place finish in our first PL season when everyone was hoping for Top 10...except KK..

The heart-break of missing the PL title in 96(which I believe broke KKs belief in himself for a while as he offered resignation after it) followed by the world-shocking signing of Alan Shearer and the 5-0 revenge over Man U after they dumped us in the Charity Shield....all the ingredients of a football roller-coaster which finished with KKs resignation in Jan 97.

All these things are like a dream today - its as if they never happened and the final nail in the coffin was KK walking out - quite correctly - after Ashley & Co had sold him(and us)a pup......the club is just a pale shadow of what it was and a relic to the past.

We shall never see days like those again and if we go down, it will be for many years, if not permanently ; the PL is ruthless to clubs that fail to invest or be run properly and Ashley will not get lucky for ever.......

Yeah, I mean 'away' from the winning the league. :lol: They deservedly battered us at OT.

Ah yeah. :lol:

KK is one of those people who could never outstay his welcome. I wish we could bottle his ambition and attitude to give to our future managers. Or even just Ashley to override his cunt genes.

This is the guy who walked out on the club twice, isn't it?

There were many different aspects to the Keegan persona, not all positive.

KK is one of those people who could never outstay his welcome. I wish we could bottle his ambition and attitude to give to our future managers. Or even just Ashley to override his c*** genes.

This is the guy who walked out on the club twice, isn't it?

There were many different aspects to the Keegan persona, not all positive.

If his first walk-out was questionable, his second certainly wasn't....anyone who had any hint of principles would have done the same thing as SAF and Wenger both said when they backed KKs resignation.

Of course, if you think people like Pardew are loyal because they spout the owners' propaganda.......