Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I'm pretty certain every main football commentator hasn't played at a professional level. Motson, Tyler, Tyldesly, Drury, Pearce, Davies, Mowbray... How does the "standards" argument explain that?

This.

It's bollocks from Keegan, who I otherwise adore, and bollocks from everyone supporting his stance.

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I dont understand.

(Im not here to Keegan bash, btw)

I know. We all love KK

If you put aside commentators (which I realise was the original discussion) and focus on what he alluded to about a WSL player saying what they'd do if they were in same position as a men's player in a situation he maybe has a point because it's a different level of skill and experience. 

We might see disabled footballers hired to give their expert opinions in the future.

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I know. We all love KK

If you put aside commentators (which I realise was the original discussion) and focus on what he alluded to about a WSL player saying what they'd do if they were in same position as a men's player in a situation he maybe has a point because it's a different level of skill and experience. 

We might see disabled footballers hired to give their expert opinions in the future.

I don't think he's said much wrong, he's entitled to an opinion, whether others like it or not. I also don't think it was misogynistic as he wasn't specifically aiming it at their gender, rather their experience within the game.

2 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I know. We all love KK

He did, but just because they haven't played in Men's competition doesn't mean their analysis isn't valid. They have experience being in that position against an opposition, its not wild that they might have a relevant opinion on any moment or action.

I love KK but he has a bit of an antiquated view on the matter going off those few lines. But he is 72, so... Not going to change my opinion of him though.

And to an earlier point, not yours btw, about it not being a solution to any problem. It absolutely is, its solves the problem of women not being afforded equal status in a specific role. It solves the problem of women being separated and being seen as less worthy. Which is a problem. You cant accept Andy fucking Hinchcliffe getting commentating gigs and bemoan an England womens internationals getting them. 

What he's said is wrong like. 

It is going to ruin talk-ins, though. The compère will normally say don't film anything, etc because they tell stories that may be a bit personal.

One of the things that make these great is it's meant to be personal stories and you get experiences that you may not have heard. Ex-players will just stop telling anything dishy or controversial anymore for fear it comes out in public and they'll become boring. 

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

I don't think he's said much wrong, he's entitled to an opinion, whether others like it or not. I also don't think it was misogynistic as he wasn't specifically aiming it at their gender, rather their experience within the game.

"Entitled to his opinion" such a crap argument. It's no different to the people who cite a right to 'free speech' when being abusive or offensive.

My answer is the same to you as to them - freedom of speech does not entitle you to freedom from consequence of that speech. Keegan has every right to say what he did, but we have every right to judge him for it.

7 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

"Entitled to his opinion" such a crap argument. It's no different to the people who cite a right to 'free speech' when being abusive or offensive.

My answer is the same to you as to them - freedom of speech does not entitle you to freedom from consequence of that speech. Keegan has every right to say what he did, but we have every right to judge him for it.

You're not fit to judge  him 

17 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

I thought everyone here would be in a good mood after yesterday, but we're talking about whether women or disabled people should be allowed to comment on football matches?

What about managers who never played professionally, is that ok?

Just now, smootsmack said:

I thought everyone here would be in a good mood after yesterday, but we're talking about whether women or disabled people should be allowed to comment on football matches?

What about managers who never played professionally, is that ok?

I'm in a great mood, no one said anyone couldn't commentate on anything, someone said they don't really like it, I couldn't care less who commentates on a game I'm watching so long as it's not Michael Owen. 

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

Ad hominem, the argument of the dullard :thup:

Just an observation. Not going to engage in an obviously farcical, troll-like debate. What next? Female comedians can't be funny etc.? 

Edited by elbee909

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

He’s liked nowt of mine. Anyone know where Orphanage drinks? Might have to pop in for a chat. 

Maybe he's got better judgement than I gave him credit for after all. 

37 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He did, but just because they haven't played in Men's competition doesn't mean their analysis isn't valid. They have experience being in that position against an opposition, its not wild that they might have a relevant opinion on any moment or action.

I love KK but he has a bit of an antiquated view on the matter going off those few lines. But he is 72, so... Not going to change my opinion of him though.

And to an earlier point, not yours btw, about it not being a solution to any problem. It absolutely is, its solves the problem of women not being afforded equal status in a specific role. It solves the problem of women being separated and being seen as less worthy. Which is a problem. You cant accept Andy fucking Hinchcliffe getting commentating gigs and bemoan an England womens internationals getting them. 

could we not combine the men's and women's game? 

7 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Just an observation. Not going to engage in an obviously farcical, troll-like debate. What next? Female comedians can't be funny etc.? 

Not going to engage, promptly engages. I never said anything about women, you're putting words in my mouth. I couldn't care less how other people opine, I'm not going to sit here hand wringing about how someone else feels. It would take a lot more than a controversial opinion for me to dislike Keegan after all he's done.

4 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Not going to engage, promptly engages. I never said anything about women, you're putting words in my mouth. I couldn't care less how other people opine, I'm not going to sit here hand wringing about how someone else feels. It would take a lot more than a controversial opinion for me to dislike Keegan after all he's done.

I wasn't talking about you in the first place, I was talking about Orphanage!

1 hour ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Preference isnt always prejudice. He hasn't indicated anything toxic? 

A preference for the opinion of a man over the opinion of a woman based on nothing other than their sex, which is what was stated, is prejudice and therefore misogynist. How many times does this have to be explained?

’I’m not misogynist I just value a man’s opinion more than a woman’s because they’re a woman’ is a contradiction in terms. 

Own your misogyny.