Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

I'm sure it was a great night with the legend. Anything interesting to share? Is he keeping up with how we're doing right now?

He is and he’s loving it to quote him!

I don’t think we’ll ever see him involved in any kind of ambassador role, sadly. He’s had dialogue but it sounds like it’s not for him.

Loves Shearer - said he was his dressing room manager. He loves Clarky too!

So many great stories but as ever with these talk-ins, you forget a few due to the booze!

28 minutes ago, Paully said:

He is and he’s loving it to quote him!

I don’t think we’ll ever see him involved in any kind of ambassador role, sadly. He’s had dialogue but it sounds like it’s not for him.

Loves Shearer - said he was his dressing room manager. He loves Clarky too!

So many great stories but as ever with these talk-ins, you forget a few due to the booze!

The mackems don’t like Clarky 😂😂😂

• 1 month later...

I spent a few hours with Sir John Hall last week, 89yrs old, not in the best of health but still as sharp as a pin, his support of Newcastle is unwavering (I know full well of his financial involvement / profit from the club) but i would say his feelings for the club are as a supporter & were before the takeover, to hear him speak about Keegan & Howe was mesmerising, Keegan will always be a legend of the club & no one who witnessed his impact would disagree I feel, Howe is in my opinion a better tactician, manager & motivator but I know nothing about anything.

Keegan is a visionary, who is motivating in a different way, in the sense you can’t help but be captivated by him and his dreams. The positivity rubs off on you and you feel ten foot tall. It’s pure charisma, someone who achieved the highest of heights (2x Ballon D’Or) but down to earth. You trusted him as above all else, he was refreshingly honest. 

Howe is a great leader but in a different way, more professional, more of a student of the game, more technical. He also inspires trust in the sense you know he cares, he will have your back. He will also put the work in, so commands respect. Plus he improves players, so there’s lots to gain individually.

Keegan was the perfect frontman at the perfect time, the new Premier League, will give you quotes and passion and stories for days, and that will almost cover up the poor infrastructure and behind the scenes because he can sell the vision so well. 

Whereas the Saudi project actually needs a more understated approach. They don’t want to draw too much attention. The trust is in the grand vision and resources and the sporting project, and Howe is the perfect executor of this master plan. 

Both were perfect fits at the perfect time. 

Eddie has been the first manager since KK to come out and say "Let the fans dream" and "anything is possible" when asked about fans singing we're gonna win the league.

Even the great SBR  never went that far.

6 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

Keegan is a visionary, who is motivating in a different way, in the sense you can’t help but be captivated by him and his dreams. The positivity rubs off on you and you feel ten foot tall. It’s pure charisma, someone who achieved the highest of heights (2x Ballon D’Or) but down to earth. You trusted him as above all else, he was refreshingly honest. 

Howe is a great leader but in a different way, more professional, more of a student of the game, more technical. He also inspires trust in the sense you know he cares, he will have your back. He will also put the work in, so commands respect. Plus he improves players, so there’s lots to gain individually.

Keegan was the perfect frontman at the perfect time, the new Premier League, will give you quotes and passion and stories for days, and that will almost cover up the poor infrastructure and behind the scenes because he can sell the vision so well. 

Whereas the Saudi project actually needs a more understated approach. They don’t want to draw too much attention. The trust is in the grand vision and resources and the sporting project, and Howe is the perfect executor of this master plan. 

This :) 

16 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

Great post.

I massively respect Howe and he's everything I want in the modern manager but he's got about 1% of the charisma Keegan and Bobby had. I'd probably throw Rafa in there as well tbh.

It's not a bad thing of course; he's machine-like and rigidly focused, like he doesn't have time for emotion (away from the pitch that is). It's all part of his gameplan; he's doing everything he can to bridge the gap between the likes of us and those without the usual handicaps: that includes being ultra-disciplined in front of the camera/press. 

I kinda wish he'd drop his guard from time to time but ultimately it's all part of his approach to the job. Mind, that "Well done, Maxi :rolleyes:" from the presser the other day was good craic. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

I massively respect Howe and he's everything I want in the modern manager but he's got about 1% of the charisma Keegan and Bobby had. I'd probably throw Rafa in there as well tbh.

It's not a bad thing of course; he's machine-like and rigidly focused, like he doesn't have time for emotion (away from the pitch that is). It's all part of his gameplan; he's doing everything he can to bridge the gap between the likes of us and those without the usual handicaps: that includes being ultra-disciplined in front of the camera/press. 

I kinda wish he'd drop his guard from time to time but ultimately it's all part of his approach to the job. Mind, that "Well done, Maxi :rolleyes:" from the presser the other day was good craic. 

I’ve met him off the field and he has bags of charisma, but he is very diplomatic and always always tries to say the correct and perfect thing regarding everything. He’s easily our most articulate and intelligent manager when it comes to speaking. KK was sheer emotion, charisma and enthusiasm as was Bobby. Hughton was more like Howe and Rafa was very analytical, deep thinking and I got the sense he was trying to educate pundits, the media and fans alike whenever he spoke. Love them all me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...