Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Can’t really see Keegan being in the crowd having any impact on pressure like. I don’t really mind whether he’s there or not but the main thing I want is for him to be recognised by the club for everything he’s done for us. I know Keegan has said he wants to keep the club at a bit of a distance but we need a stand in his name and a statue 

Watched the Leeds home match in 95/96 recently. Its the feed so no commentary and picked up a chat off camera pre-interview with John Motson.

JM “I thought Rob Lee played well didn't you”

KK “He's been like that all season. Someone had the cheek to put in the national press that he wasn't good enough to play for England”

JM “I think at the moment he's our best midfield player”

KK “He's the best player in this country in ANY position, no doubt about it”

Love his interviews when I see them back, but even his pre interview craic is great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Not Scott Sellars maybe?

All the lads looking well there - Sir John looks canny for 90 mind!

Was just going to say. Wasn't he on his death bed a few years back. Looks incredible!

On 25/02/2023 at 00:14, Yorkie said:

Never seen this before. Love how seriously he's taking it. :lol:

brilliant that. had a little giggle at the snowy pitch when the macdonald clips were on about 13 mins in 😂 imagine that these days 

• 4 months later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12595309/Kevin-Keegan-claims-problem-female-pundits-talking-Englands-men-team-criticises-lady-footballers-judge-male-colleagues.html

Kevin Keegan says he has 'a problem' with female pundits talking about the men's game, insisting: 'I don't think it crosses over that much' 

• Keegan does not like listening to female pundits commentating men's game
  • He believes 'lady footballers pundits' don't have same experience as the men
  • Keegan insisted he remains behind the development of women's football 

Kevin Keegan has extraordinarily claimed he has 'a problem' with female pundits talking about England's men team.

According to The Times, the former Three Lions boss said he did not like listening to 'an England lady footballer' providing analysis of Gareth Southgate's team.

'I’m not as keen, I’ve got to be honest, and it may not be a view shared,' he said in Bristol to an audience of approximately 250 people who attended An Evening With Kevin Keegan OBE.

'I don’t like to listen to ladies talking about the England men’s team at the match because I don’t think it’s the same experience. 

'I have a problem with that.'

The 72-year-old insisted his view was not intent to belittle women's football and women's pundits. 

'The presenters we have now, some of the girls are so good, they are better than the guys. It’s a great time for the ladies,' he said.

'It is a great time for the ladies’ game. When I was England manager [from February 1999 to October 2000], I went to coach the England ladies and I had this perception of what the quality would be like and they were so much better than I thought they were going to be.

'I joined in and then I thought, "I’m getting out of this". I couldn’t get the bloody ball and one of them nutmegged me, that finished me off.'

He also singled out BBC Sport presenter Gabby Logan for praise.

'There are some very, very good lady presenters and I’m working with one in two days’ time, Terry Yorath’s daughter, Gabby [Logan],' he said.

However, he claimed women pundits were not in a position to commentate on men's football.

'If I see an England lady footballer saying about England against Scotland at Wembley and she’s saying, "If I would have been in that position I would have done this", I don’t think it’s quite the same,' he said.

'I don’t think it crosses over that much.'

The former Manchester City and Newcastle manager also accused modern pundits of 'talking too much' and suggested analysts of his generation were no longer wanted by broadcasters.

'I worked with Brian Moore, who was the best. At a World Cup final he would say, "Kevin, don’t talk too much, let the pictures do the talking",' he said.. 

'A lot of the pundits now talk too much. Don’t keep talking, talking, talking. They don’t want people like us any more, our day is gone, it’s time for the next generation.'

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12595309/Kevin-Keegan-claims-problem-female-pundits-talking-Englands-men-team-criticises-lady-footballers-judge-male-colleagues.html

Kevin Keegan says he has 'a problem' with female pundits talking about the men's game, insisting: 'I don't think it crosses over that much' 

Kevin Keegan has extraordinarily claimed he has 'a problem' with female pundits talking about England's men team.

According to The Times, the former Three Lions boss said he did not like listening to 'an England lady footballer' providing analysis of Gareth Southgate's team.

'I’m not as keen, I’ve got to be honest, and it may not be a view shared,' he said in Bristol to an audience of approximately 250 people who attended An Evening With Kevin Keegan OBE.

'I don’t like to listen to ladies talking about the England men’s team at the match because I don’t think it’s the same experience. 

The 72-year-old insisted his view was not intent to belittle women's football and women's pundits. 

'The presenters we have now, some of the girls are so good, they are better than the guys. It’s a great time for the ladies,' he said.

'It is a great time for the ladies’ game. When I was England manager [from February 1999 to October 2000], I went to coach the England ladies and I had this perception of what the quality would be like and they were so much better than I thought they were going to be.

'I joined in and then I thought, "I’m getting out of this". I couldn’t get the bloody ball and one of them nutmegged me, that finished me off.'

'There are some very, very good lady presenters and I’m working with one in two days’ time, Terry Yorath’s daughter, Gabby [Logan],' he said.

However, he claimed women pundits were not in a position to commentate on men's football.

'If I see an England lady footballer saying about England against Scotland at Wembley and she’s saying, "If I would have been in that position I would have done this", I don’t think it’s quite the same,' he said.

The former Manchester City and Newcastle manager also accused modern pundits of 'talking too much' and suggested analysts of his generation were no longer wanted by broadcasters.

'I worked with Brian Moore, who was the best. At a World Cup final he would say, "Kevin, don’t talk too much, let the pictures do the talking",' he said.. 

'A lot of the pundits now talk too much. Don’t keep talking, talking, talking. They don’t want people like us any more, our day is gone, it’s time for the next generation.'

Ooch

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Gonna get done in by the headline but he hasn't said much wrong there.

I agree with him, most of the women pundits aren't qualified whatsoever to talk about football at the highest level.

However, a lot of the male pundits they have are also unqualified, largely because they are thick as shite.

5 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Abbey Wogan can commentate me all day long! 

I don't agree with him anyway, there are plenty of male pundits who didn't play at the top level, but he's basically very poorly phrased 'the levels aren't the same so when it's implied that they are, I don't like it'

Edited by Kid Icarus

I lot of the problem comes from the propagation that the women's game is equally as good as the men's.

You also had Sue Whatsherface saying that the mens game should subsidise the women's game the other week, which apart from being nonsensical, stokes the sort of chauvinist rhetoric that right wing types love to pounce on.

It's interesting that sky and Bt etc do a good job of hiring female presenters, Kate Abdo, Laura Woods etc but struggle when it comes to finding intelligent and interesting pundits (both male and female). 

When you see Merson, Morrison and Agbonlahor, you realise it isn't a women problem it's a competency problem and of course the pool of competent women in this field is much smaller than competent men, simply because there are less women involved in the game in general

If it were me, I'd be trying to combine the presenting skills of Laura Woods, with the ex footballer view from Ally Mcoist and stick Allcott in there for a smart fan viewpoint. Do that and your onto a winner.