Newcastle vs Bolton - pre-match thread

Decky

Due to us not really having many central midfielders, and Viduka not having the legs to keep up with our best passages of play today, I'd go for the following team:

Given

Carr Taylor Cacapa Enrique

Rozehnal

Milner LuaLua N'Zogbia

Duff

Owen

That looks like a balanced team with a touch of flair, I'll have that one please!!

I like the idea of trying Rozehnal in the holding role, but Owen as a lone striker has never worked and will never work.  If Viduka is too unfit and slow to play on Saturday, then throw Carroll in to partner Owen. 

I expect to see football played on the ground, but you don't have a player over 5'11 in front of Rozehnal.  Against a physical team like Bolton, it won't work.

The four men behind Owen are ample support.

Due to us not really having many central midfielders, and Viduka not having the legs to keep up with our best passages of play today, I'd go for the following team:

Given

Rozehnal

Milner LuaLua N'Zogbia

Duff

Owen

That looks like a balanced team with a touch of flair, I'll have that one please!!

I like the idea of trying Rozehnal in the holding role, but Owen as a lone striker has never worked and will never work.  If Viduka is too unfit and slow to play on Saturday, then throw Carroll in to partner Owen. 

I expect to see football played on the ground, but you don't have a player over 5'11 in front of Rozehnal.  Against a physical team like Bolton, it won't work.

Viduka and Owen upfront again with Milner dropped with Duff on the right

Given

Rozehnal

Milner LuaLua N'Zogbia

Duff

Owen

roz n lua lua in cm ?no chance, just swap emre for roz

Given

Rozehnal

Milner LuaLua N'Zogbia

Duff

Owen

Banned

Cannot wait for this match, been such a long time since I have really looked forward to a game. :D

---------------Given

Carr-----Taylor-----Cacapa-----Enrique

Milner----Butt-------Zoggy------Duff

----------Owen------Viduka

BENCH

Harper

Roze

Edgar

Lua Lua

Carroll

Cannot wait for this match, been such a long time since I have really looked forward to a game. :D

---------------Given

BENCH

Harper

Roze

Edgar

Lua Lua

Carroll

Can see this to be fair, looks about the best formation we could have. I think we'll see alot of Roz, he reminds me of Albert, just without the confidence.

Given

Rozehnal

Milner LuaLua N'Zogbia

Duff

Owen

Banned

meant keep the same team as wednesday but swap rozehnal for emre.

first read i thought you were banning me for making a stupid team selection!

---------------Given

BENCH

Harper

Roze

Edgar

Lua Lua

Carroll

Can see this to be fair, looks about the best formation we could have. I think we'll see alot of Roz, he reminds me of Albert, just without the confidence.

Butt is suspended

The only question for me is who partners Zoggy in CM, rest of it's pretty given. Will either be Roz or Lua Lua IMO

---------------Given

BENCH

Harper

Roze

Edgar

Lua Lua

Carroll

Butt is suspended

The only question for me is who partners Zoggy in CM, rest of it's pretty given. Will either be Roz or Lua Lua IMO

I thought Butt only missed one game for an accumulation of yellow cards?.

DOH! 2 games aint is as its the second time this season he has had this kind of ban.

Roze it is them

Given

Carr  Taylor  Cacapa  Enrique

Milner  Barton  N'Zogbia  Duff

Viduka  Owen

kinda picks itself tbh..

Given

Carr   Taylor   Cacapa  Enrique

Milner   Barton  N'Zogbia   Duff

Viduka   Owen

kinda picks itself tbh..

Now that Barton is available i agree. Does anyone know whether he's been training or there for Kev to see etc.

Given

Viduka  Owen

kinda picks itself tbh..

Now that Barton is available i agree. Does anyone know whether he's been training or there for Kev to see etc.

Barton shouldnt come within a fucking million miles of this game. It needs to be about 100% positivity. We dont need him around bringing the mood down

Guest ObaStar

this is a good game for him to comeback. opposition aren't that strong, we have momentum. Open place in the squad. And lets face it, its either him or Lua Lua who is a huge risk and also an attacking midfielder as is N'zogbia. We would be playing with 2 AM and a shoddy defense, quite risky. Or there is Rozenhal who hasn't played midfield all season. If Barton is fit and playing well he is the best CM at the club he should play.

I think Roz could make a good defensive mid. He lacks a bit of discipline and confidence but he is certainly mobile enough, pretty good on the ball and a presence. If we could get him to work on his positional sense he could do a good job there.

Given

Viduka  Owen

kinda picks itself tbh..

I agree, there really are very few other options.

Guest bertiemasson

Miracles expected right away as Keegan returns to work

Anyone who spent the early part of the week contemplating a punt on the next Newcastle manager must be slapping their head at their own stupidity at not knowing who it was going to be. Of course it was going to be Kevin Keegan – how could Mike “Man of the People” Ashley, not give the Geordie people what they want? After sitting proudly amongst the fans like a fat mother hen and swilling lager at grisly Newcastle nightclubs with them, his desperate quest for their love appears to be his primary motivation. It’s probably only a matter of time before he leaves a little something on every fan’s seat - a bottle of brown for the grown-ups, an alcopop for the kiddies – and in hindsight, of course he was going to turn to the people’s princess. A word of advice to Mr Ashley, though; giving the people what they want is risky strategy, because the people never stop wanting and you have to keep on giving. And as you’ve seen for yourself, some of these people have a bit of an appetite.

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Last six (all competitions, most recent first): WLDLLL

Last six league games: LLLLDL

Last six home league games: LDWLLW

Injuries: Ramage (knee, April)

Suspensions: Smith, Butt

BOLTON WANDERERS

Last six (all competitions, most recent first): LLWLLW

Last six league games: LWLLWL

Last six away league games: LLLLDL

Injuries: Helguson (ankle, 29th Jan); Vaz Te (knee, 29th Jan)

Suspensions: El Hadji Diouf

Keegan’s Run

» Kevin Keegan has never lost his first game as manager as of a team. He won three (vs Bristol with Newcastle in 1992; vs Poland with England in 1999; vs Watford with Manchester City in 2001) and drew one (vs Grimsby in 1998).

» In these three victories, his sides scored three goals. The draw was 1-1, meaning his sides have never failed to score first time out.

» As Newcastle manager, Keegan played Bolton twice, winning on both occasions. He never played them in charge of Fulham, but at Manchester City, he won four and lost two.

» Newcastle managers who started the job this century have always won their first game. Allardyce beat Bolton (3-1), Roeder beat Portsmouth (2-0) and Souness beat Southampton (2-0).

A happy St James’ Park

» Bolton have only ever won once at St James’ Park in the Premier league, a 2-1 win in 2006. They have lost six and drawn one of their other seven Premiership visits to Newcastle.

» Home advantage is all important - of seventeen Premiership meetings between the sides only three have been won by the away side!

» prophecy of doom: Megson’s side are yet to win on their travels in the league this season and to date have only taken two points from their ten away fixtures – the joint worst record in the division (along with Derby and Sunderland).

» superfact: A Newcastle defeat at home to Bolton would see the Magpies lose a fifth consecutive league match for the very first time in their fifteen seasons in the Premier league.

Bolton to spoil the Keegan party

» Referee Alan Wiley will take charge of this one, having already officiated in Newcastle’s 3-0 home defeat to Liverpool this season. More importantly, Wiley refereed this very fixture last season, a game that saw Bolton take all three points with a 2-1 away win!

» Newcastle will have to bounce back from last week’s 6-0 drubbing at Old Trafford. The last time they conceded six, (a 6-2 home defeat to Manchester United in 2003) the Magpies were beaten 2-1 at Fulham in their following league match.

» Newcastle have only scored three times in their last six league and cup contests and have not found the net in any of their last three.

Any other betting?

» Betting on half time? Newcastle have not lead at the break in any of their last six league matches at St James’ Park – losing in four and drawing in six. Incidentally, none of these six have been goalless at the interval.

»likely scorer: Michael Owen

» El Hadji Diouf has scored four in seven against Newcastle and has bagged five goals for Bolton this season. Unfortunately for Gary Megson the fiery striker is suspended for this one leaving Kevin Davies as the only available striker!

» Before moving to Chelsea, Nicolas Anelka scored ten of Bolton’s twenty four league goals. The Frenchman scored in both of the last two contests with Newcastle and Bolton’s record of only seven goals in ten away fixtures is unlikely to improve in his absence.

» Backing the draw? Remarkably, the sides’ seventeen Premiership encounters have only produced a single stalemate, a goalless draw at St James’ Park back in 2003.