The all new official Albert Luque megathread

Guest Harry-Norway

So we've never seen Luque on the left? Cos i have, and he was shite.

He was on the left against Fulham and didn't look shite before he went off, Shearer and Owen should have both scored off balls delivered on a plate by Luque.

He looekd like NOTHING against Fulham.

HE has looked like NOTHING in pretty much every game he#s played for us.

He IS nothing to us.

He IS nothing to us.

I'll disagree about the Fulham game, I don't think he's got a future but I still think he was OK before injured, not brilliant but OK.

He IS nothing to us.

I'll disagree about the Fulham game, I don't think he's got a future but I still think he was OK before injured, not brilliant but OK.

He didn't show anything - for me, its all opinion, same as it is for everyone - worthy of note in ANY of his competitive games, to illustrate he was worthy of a place on the bench, never mind the first team.

I remember being VERY impressed with his first game and the limited time he played v Fulham. Then he got injured and has shown some very small sparks of quality (Lilleström goal). I still have hope in him though

Exactly! TTM did a cracking job of reigniting the debate.
:winking: you have to aim to be good at something even if it is non-sensical.

I do agree with alot of what you said, but comparing Robert and Luque's pace is like comparing Solano to dyer. When we signed him he was all about beating the man and whipping the cross in, and pace he certainly had. He tore Arsenal to shreds when we beat them at Highbury years ago, albeit we were one man up after Ray Parlours dismissal.

Maybe im pulling my hair out here, but im pretty sure i have seen Robert take the ball down to the opposite end of the, pitch beat a man whilst dribbling along the touchline ala what N'Zog does now.

Ok fine he wasnt as quick the last few years, and certainly he couldnt even pass to our own players have the time, people remember the last few years when he was a shadow of his former self, when he had to rely on a shots from stupid distances or free kicks. He changed his game considerably in his time with us, he was much better all round earlier on in his Newcastle career.

I just dont think they are similar players, not as you would have it anyways.

In spain Luque was a completely different player, and at times he has held up the ball for us fine, he is much stronger than Robert, he is bigger and when he knows what the hell he is doing you can see that.

Luque needs space to play and is certainly used to it in spain, Robert could make his own spaces, he played well with a long ball and could control is suberbly, Luque needs the ball played to feet more than not.

To say he's "NOTHING" like him is a bit of a stretch, and to call other people's opinions "tosh" is arseholic behaviour of the highest proportion.

I heartily agree. That said it was offered only as my opinion, and it was me on a high horse,in quick tempered scoff, of course there are some similarities.

Luque/Robert's Similarities

Powerful shooting. Granted, its not a bowyer scuffed pea roller all the time

Good crossers of the ball. agreed certainly

Both fairly quick, but not spectacularly fast. Still believe Robert was quicker

Good goalscoring records from the left-hand side. well they are Right footers

Limited dribbling ability. Think thats selective

Both fairly workshy by traditional Geordie standards. you can include alot of people in that bracket across the pitch, i think bar the last game Luque has not been workshy, regardless of the fact he didnt look like he knew what he was doing

Set-piece takers. I guess he has done certainly, but now he is behind, Solano, Emre sometimes even Milner

Play the same position. ok i dont deny they havent both played on the left, and Luque certainly looks better playing deeper

Cost the same amount of money. Give or take a bit sure.

Both not favoured by their managers (Souness/Roeder)For different reasons, Robert was hugely succesfull here previous to Souness though, Luque is more about adapting, and certainly hasnt been given the chances Robert was

Both destined to have left for far less than we paid for them.Joins a listy club, which is normally 50-50 on average with every player signed by a club, he certainly doesnt like giving us the length of service Robert did, to this i would say Robert paid for the majority of his price if not more in goals/assists etc

Both joined from a foreign county/league of origin in their home country.FACT

Outcasts of their national teams while at NUFC. Not really applicable given the injury Luque had over the time he has been here before the World cup. Do you seriously believe if Luque played aswell as Robert did for us he wouldnt be in the spanish squad?

Signed at very similar ages.They were both born in the 70's too. Although Robert was in the better end

Off the pitch and personality wise they are completely different, Roeder has not had anything but praise for his work ethic, Robert was the opposite, Luque was a panic buy and certainly not first choice like Robert was. I wasnt bringing in anything into consideration other than on the pitch though.

I just thought some of the things that were being written were alot different to how i percieved Robert the footballer to be whilst playing for us, especially compared to Luque. Of course they have similarities some of the admitted gash facts show that, we could get down to Dads middle names if we had to, I just think they are less similar than they are the same type of player.

I can't trust your opinion when you say about Arsenal being a man-down after Parlour's sending-off, completely ignoring Bellamy's red card in the same game, because of Ashley Cole.

Not to mention that Larry was a sub that night!

That PROVES that you have a gash memory and renders your entire argument null and void... otherwise known as it's dead late and I can't be arsed to argue more tonight.

So are people saying that Luque's best position is left wing?  I'm sure I heard a number of folk on here say last season that Luque was a striker?  :lol:

If Luque is a left wing than we need to get shot, we have Duff and Zog, that's enough for me thanks.

So are people saying that Luque's best position is left wing? I'm sure I heard a number of folk on here say last season that Luque was a striker? :lol:

If Luque is a left wing than we need to get shot, we have Duff and Zog, that's enough for me thanks.

:thup: Not to mention Milner and O'Brien in a pinch...

So are people saying that Luque's best position is left wing?  I'm sure I heard a number of folk on here say last season that Luque was a striker?  :lol:

Nobody was claiming we should keep him anyway, to be fair.

So are people saying that Luque's best position is left wing?  I'm sure I heard a number of folk on here say last season that Luque was a striker?   :lol:

No I would say his best position (or at least the position he played for Depor to such great effect) is a left forward in a 4-3-3, but since I can't ever see us ever playing that, the only position he can play for us is as the 2nd striker. That way he wont have to win the long punts from our defenders and just get the knockdowns instead. Granted he is not fast but he can dribble and has good enough footwork to trick defenders (all which were not evident in the last game) and because he can thump the ball from distance, he does not need to get into the box either.

There are two takes on this.......

1. There are those who said last season he was a striker because they saw him for Deportivo on some kind of video clip.

2. There is Souness, who said he had now signed a 'proper' player for the left when he signed Luque. The clear implication being that he was a replacement for Laurent Robert.

Not sure who to believe actually, they're all equally thick, tbh.

He's played for us both on the left and as a striker and he's been shit regardless.

Guest Shotgun Mick

I gave Luque a chance after he came here and even defended him when he first started to get slagged off but I think it has become apparent how utterly talentless the man is. He reminds me of Silvio Maric, Andreas Anderson, Christian Bassedas and Georgios Georgiadis etc. Players who have a good reputation but when it comes down to it looks totally out of their depth on a football pitch.

To be a professional footballer I would expect a player to be able to control, head and pass a football. None of these things any of the above players could do.

Anyone who believes Luque needs more time is deluded. He's a pathetic excuse for a footballer and the fact that we sold Chopra and kept him makes me sick.

Guest Bellers

Last season Luque tried too hard. Everything he did was rushed and over cooked, this lead to a couple of poor preformance. However this season it seems to be the opposite, he doesn't try at all. His problem isn't a lack of talent, but a lack of effort. The only thing stopping Roeder from shipping him out is our lack of fit strikers and rightly so.

Everyone who's defended Luque in the past has now turned (including me), he needs to go NOW

Not everyone  :winking:

I stand by my view that given the right service (ball to feet) and provided he is not played as the lone front man, he can still be a decent 3rd striker. If we can get 4-5M, then yes sell him, otherwise we're better off keeping him instead of selling another player on the cheap.

The guy doesn't deserve defending to be honest, but.............

what i will say is that he's the type of footballer that needs to be used in a very certain way and if we had played to his strengths (for a sustained period) I would agree entirely that he's a waste of space.

Guest Shotgun Mick

The loss we'd have to take on him is ridiculous. Jason Roberts went for about £2m and he is a far better player than Luque.

Guest Bellers

The loss we'd have to take on him is ridiculous. Jason Roberts went for about £2m and he is a far better player than Luque.

Different players, can't really be compared...

Guest Shotgun Mick

Well I know who I would rather have.

Luque is seriously as bad as Maric, Andreas Anderson, FUMACA!!!!!!!, and Bassedas.

He. Is. Appalling.

Well I know who I would rather have.

Luque is seriously as bad as Maric, Andreas Anderson, FUMACA!!!!!!!, and Bassedas.

He. Is. Appalling.

Only on current form. Overall, he is and has been a better player than those listed.