John Carver resigns as manager of Toronto FC due to "personal reasons"

gray

They're very passionate, very similar to where I come from," Carver said of Toronto's fans. "I spent 20 years at Newcastle United, a beautiful city, fanatical fans.

watched the promotional DVD where they're throwing their cushions on the pitch, and the streamers at the corner flag, and I thought, 'they're very similar to the Geordie Republic - the Newcastle United fans - and that was another attraction. They can play a big part in the league and if we can make this is a fortress then it's going to add points for us

Carver and new strength and conditioning coach Paul Winsper

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iFrruvRE8YA3WSCdwGrrVoDXMvOg

Let's hope we can actually win some fuckin' games.

Oh, and score some fuckin' goals. That goalless drought last year's still embarrassing.

Come on Dichio!

PS: I'm thinking of going just to get a glimpse of the only manager NUFC've ever had with a 100% win ratio.  :angel: Masterstroke, tbh.

• 1 year later...

I know Shearer was on the phone to Carver even before his own announcement was made public. Carver wanted to see out the season in MSL and has agreed to join for next season(maybe even remainder of this)

I'll find out more on Sunday.

Guest pont-toon

I know Shearer was on the phone to Carver even before his own announcement was made public. Carver wanted to see out the season in MSL and has agreed to join for next season(maybe even remainder of this) 

heard similar

also the club docs just been bladdered on the advice of Ferris - starting to believe that Shearer has the bug to continue on no matter where we are playing next season now

heard similar

also the club docs just been bladdered on the advice of Ferris - starting to believe that Shearer has the bug to continue on no matter where we are playing next season now

That was in one of the papers today.

heard similar

That was in one of the papers today.

I must be getting old... does that mean he got drunk on the advice of Ferris ? :cheesy:

:laugh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1173550/Newcastle-boss-Alan-Shearer-changes-tune-TV-pundits.html?ITO=1490

Shearer was quick to stress when he arrived that he would only be in charge until the end of the season. That was out of respect to manager Joe Kinnear who is recovering from heart bypass surgery. But Shearer's actions have made it effectively impossible for Kinnear to return.

Coaches Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood have been marginalised by the arrival of Shearer's No 2 Iain Dowie and last week club doctor Ian McGuinness was sacked.

Guest Heneage

Can you really be a bad Doctor ? Ignoring any Harold Shipman jokes. My Dad keeps saying we need Gary Speed onboard.

"In 36 MLS games, Carver led Toronto FC to 11 wins, 15 defeats and 10 draws"

Is that good for a club like Toronto FC?

I don't think they won a match in their first season, so yes.  There is so much parity in the MLS that any team can beat another team on any day - there's no real stand out favorites ie: Man U/Chelsea type of clubs.  So having an about-even record in matches is about right.

Guest Heneage

Can you really be a bad Doctor ? Ignoring any Harold Shipman jokes. My Dad keeps saying we need Gary Speed onboard.

:lol: Serious?

I'm confused though. If you know your stuff. Surely to have gotten this far he'd have had some sort of interview or something, references, its not like hiring a paper boy.

I'm confused though. If you know your stuff. Surely to have gotten this far he'd have had some sort of interview or something, references, its not like hiring a paper boy.

Knowing what it says in the books doesn't make you a good doctor.

I've been hearing for a while now that the doctor is not highly regarded.

Guest pont-toon

aha - someones been got at by the daleks, or maybe the master, hmmmmm

your a fool to under estimate the doctor

Guest pont-toon

highly thought of by keegan

not so by paul le guen

Strange situation. Carver was well rated by Gullitt and they got on like a house on fire, yet Shearer and Gullitt never saw eye to eye.

Strange situation. Carver was well rated by Gullitt and they got on like a house on fire, yet Shearer and Gullitt never saw eye to eye.

I thought that was Clarke. Carver was Bobby's man, after Wadsworth.

Was Gullit that gave Carver his big break. Remember the Semi Final celebrations when Shearer got the second against Spurs and he jumped up and down with Carver & Clarke (I think?) buried into his chest? :lol:

Remember as well reading something months ago when Toronto played LA Galaxy when Gullit was still in charge and he said how it was great working under him and meeting up with him again.

Was Gullit that gave Carver his big break. Remember the Semi Final celebrations when Shearer got the second against Spurs and he jumped up and down with Carver & Clarke (I think?) buried into his chest? :lol:

Remember as well reading something months ago when Toronto played LA Galaxy when Gullit was still in charge and he said how it was great working under him and meeting up with him again.

Carver and Gullitt had a really close relationship, in fact Gullitt also had a great relationship with Shepherd. Gullitt just didn't like opinionated senior players much by the looks of it.