Strike partnership for the season run-in?

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've a sneaking feeling we might see a lot more of Owen/Martins unless Viduka can remain fit for more than one match in three. Keegan won't be too bothered about the lack of height if he thinks he can get us playing to feet.

I've a sneaking feeling we might see a lot more of Owen/Martins unless Viduka can remain fit for more than one match in three. Keegan won't be too bothered about the lack of height if he thinks he can get us playing to feet.

More than likely tripe but

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=180306.

Owen would be happy.

We need goals so for me that means it has to be two from Viduka, Martins and Owen. Viduka and Owen sounds good but means very limited mobility and easy to mark out of a game. I think Owen and Martins will get goals, because Martins will stretch teams for all his faults which hopefully would create the space for Owen to strike.

We need goals so for me that means it has to be two from Viduka, Martins and Owen. Viduka and Owen sounds good but means very limited mobility and easy to mark out of a game. I think Owen and Martins will get goals, because Martins will stretch teams for all his faults which hopefully would create the space for Owen to strike.

There's no stickability up front with Smith and Owen up there as it is. Martins & Owen it would be even worse.

Guest pistonism

Oba and Rozehnal would make a fine partnership I believe.

Rozy heads all those hoof-balls, Martins lurks out and lashes.

And Rozy won't be anywhere around defence. How wondeful that'll be!!  :laugh2: :laugh2:

I'd try Smith and Duff. Smith is our best target man, and Duff is probably best in the withdrawn role, like he's played for Ireland.

Martins and Owen aren't good target men, and aren't creative enough to play the withdrawn role. With them, we seem to end up in an old-fashioned style where you have a finisher trying to feed off chances created by others.

This season we have seen nothing of the Martins of last season, explosive pace and a shot like a bullet. Remember the one against Spurs last season? incredible. Keegan will play to his strengths and not try and make him into a right midfielder.  We played very well with 2 little guys up front in Beardo and Cole and we can do it again. Play Martins and Owen with Viduka on the bench if we need to change it a bit. Ameobi and Smith I'd be happy to never see again

There's no stickability up front with Smith and Owen up there as it is. Martins & Owen it would be even worse.

True, but when the players with stickability (Smith and Viduka) have played we have looked turgid and immobile. My reasoning would be that with Owen and Martins you would look to pass and move and play them in on goal. Viduka and Martins would be a decent option but I don't see him being fit for many games.

I think, and i hope we'll see more of Owen and Martins, still convinced theres a partnership in there somewhere,  having said that, i think that the best partnership we've seen is actually Smith Martins off the top of my head.

Still think Martins and Owen could be a monstrous partnership. Has anyone noticed that Martins gets a lot more chances than Owen or Smith. That isnt coincidence.

I'd want Oba/Owen for the not-too-distant future. Viduka has a severe lack of fitness and his work rate is rubbish. Shola just isn't good enough.

Guest toon_army46

I'd want Oba/Owen for the not-too-distant future. Viduka has a severe lack of fitness and his work rate is rubbish. Shola just isn't good enough.

I totally agree with you, but dont you think that puttin viduka in the team against smogs would be worth a shot? he's probably the laziest player ive ever seen, but he seems to play well against old clubs or in the big games, so maybe he's worth a shout for this game?? otherwise i'd agree with owen and martins for the rest of the season!

Beardsley and Cole didn't need aerial prowess, so I'm happy to see Martins and Owen given a run out.

Pace, finishing, flair. Get the ball to them (Which we've consistently failed to do so far this year) and watch them wreak havoc.