Nicky Butt your time is up

TRon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/stevewilson/2009/05/my_teams_of_the_season.html

We've had one good player this season and it's Nicky Butt - according to Match of the Day commentator Steve Wilson.

"Butt has been tidy, consistent and effective."

When is everyone that is involed with football gonna take off their Man Utd tinted specs that still sees the Butt of 1999, not 2009.  Ridiculous.

All the media seem to think this. Drives me f***ing insane.  :angry:

It's depressing that everybody see's him as a consistant player when he's probably one of our 3 worst.  :kinnear:

consistent compared to the rest of the dross we have. He is capable of having a good game, infact he has had more than a few this season, its a shame they arent as consistent as the press would like to think.

He has to be replaced next year regardless of which division we are in. I'm still playing with the idea of keeping him around as a squad player though, he is one of the few level headed honest pro's we have. Like Gary Speed, he is good to keep around the place imo.

consistent compared to the rest of the dross we have. He is capable of having a good game, infact he has had more than a few this season, its a shame they arent as consistent as the press would like to think.

He has to be replaced next year regardless of which division we are in. I'm still playing with the idea of keeping him around as a squad player though, he is one of the few level headed honest pro's we have. Like Gary Speed, he is good to keep around the place imo.

Consistently terrible, aye.

People are either fucking stupid or not watching the games when it comes to Butt. He gives the ball away time and time again, far more than any other player in the squad, and we wonder why we cant score goals

What's even more annoying than his natural shitness, is the fact that several times during a game he'll suddenly think he's morphed into David Beckham and try this big show off hollywood pass.  Needless to say they never come off.

What's even more annoying than his natural shitness, is the fact that several times during a game he'll suddenly think he's morphed into David Beckham and try this big show off hollywood pass.  Needless to say they never come off.

In fairness last game he actually played a great ball over the top for Taylor whose chested touch was too heavy. Agree with your point though.

People are either fucking stupid or not watching the games when it comes to Butt. He gives the ball away time and time again, far more than any other player in the squad, and we wonder why we cant score goals

It's his insistence on going for so many difficult passes that baffles me.

He routinely struggles to complete 15 yard passes along the ground under no pressure from the opposition, yet somehow seems to convince himself 5 to10 times a game that he's going to manage to drop one in a target as big as a basketball hoop from 30 yards.

If he'd have the basic sense to realise that he can't pass the ball worth a piss then he'd be an alright player. Part of the problem might just be that we've nobody else whose a great deal better at picking a ball from midfield, so Butt feels the need to try and take matters into his own hands and make something happen. It's commendable, in a sense, as he's actually trying to be pro-active and help the team.

Unfortunately, he's an absolutely desperate passer of a football and therefore his efforts prove a hindrance to us rather than any sort of help.

Can't believe we extended him for next year.

Nicky Butt's passing looks worse because there's no movement in the team, and most of the other players are hiding. He's not all that good, but at least he sometimes will take some responsibility. You can't say that for the rest of the lot.

Nicky Butt's passing looks worse because there's no movement in the team, and most of the other players are hiding. He's not all that good, but at least he sometimes will take some responsibility. You can't say that for the rest of the lot.

I agree. He's crap, but gets unwarranted stick some of the time - at least he's not hiding from the ball.

It's his insistence on going for so many difficult passes that baffles me.

He routinely struggles to complete 15 yard passes along the ground under no pressure from the opposition, yet somehow seems to convince himself 5 to10 times a game that he's going to manage to drop one in a target as big as a basketball hoop from 30 yards.

If he'd have the basic sense to realise that he can't pass the ball worth a piss then he'd be an alright player. Part of the problem might just be that we've nobody else whose a great deal better at picking a ball from midfield, so Butt feels the need to try and take matters into his own hands and make something happen. It's commendable, in a sense, as he's actually trying to be pro-active and help the team.

Unfortunately, he's an absolutely desperate passer of a football and therefore his efforts prove a hindrance to us rather than any sort of help.

Can't believe we extended him for next year.

He always ends up being our midfielder who gets furthest forward as well, as in the last minute chance which was saved by Schwarzer on Saturday. The amount of times he ends up ahead of Nolan is untrue. When was the last time that wheezing twat had a shot on goal? Isn't that why he was signed?

Due to the ineptness of our midfield Butt has almost assumed the role of playmaker in this team. I'm sure it's not his desire.

In a decent team he'd be told "don't go for long passes Nicky - just win it and lay it off"

He is no playmaker that's plain to see but he's no shirker either and puts the team before himself - that's why successive managers have made him one of the first names on their teamsheets.

Should they always mark the keeper or the corner flag like?

They should make themselves available and not shirk their responsibilities. They should run when they see a through ball coming. They should run into space instead of holding hands with their markers.

Due to the ineptness of our midfield Butt has almost assumed the role of playmaker in this team. I'm sure it's not his desire.

In a decent team he'd be told "don't go for long passes Nicky - just win it and lay it off"

He is no playmaker that's plain to see but he's no shirker either and puts the team before himself - that's why successive managers have made him one of the first names on their teamsheets.

who?

They should make themselves available and not shirk their responsibilities. They should run when they see a through ball coming. They should run into space instead of holding hands with their markers.

Yes they should make themselves available but it still doesn't stop Butt thinking he's Alonso trying to ping the ball 60 yards across the pitch to nobody. In addition to this, Nicky Butt shouldn't shirk his responsibilities either. Almost every single match without fail he drops a few of the same major clangers and 90% of the time leaves others to sort out the mess because he doesn't have the legs to keep up.

Saw something on the ticker bar on Setanta Sports News earlier saying Wolves are interested in Butt. Perhaps there is a God after all

i'll buy a Wolves shirt and wear it for bed if that happens

Wolves would be exactly the sort of team that might be interested in taking Butt. The problem is, if we go down we might be better off keeping him as we won't be able to attract a better version. Anyhow, I think the Championship is his level, he'll probably embarass us a lot less in that division where accurate passing isn't as required.

Wolves would be exactly the sort of team that might be interested in taking Butt. The problem is, if we go down we might be better off keeping him as we won't be able to attract a better version. Anyhow, I think the Championship is his level, he'll probably embarass us a lot less in that division where accurate passing isn't as required.

who has been good at passing this season ?. it's as much down to lack of intelligent movement than any technical problem with the passer.

who has been good at passing this season ?. it's as much down to lack of intelligent movement than any technical problem with the passer.

Agreed. I would prefer to see Butt stick to passing it simple though rather than ping it 50 yards. It's a sad indictment that he often seems to be the midfielder furthest forward as well. Says more about the rest of the midfielders and forwards than him I suppose.

Guest saintscoobz

Saw something on the ticker bar on Setanta Sports News earlier saying Wolves are interested in Butt. Perhaps there is a God after all

werent we supposed to be selling ameobi and somebody else for 9 million in the summer? i really thought there was a god when i heard that. But ... he's still here

Agreed. I would prefer to see Butt stick to passing it simple though rather than ping it 50 yards. It's a sad indictment that he often seems to be the midfielder furthest forward as well. Says more about the rest of the midfielders and forwards than him I suppose.

Exactly. One thing I won't have a go at Nicky Butt for is actually trying to take responsibility and not hiding. IMO the reason he does these things is because his fellow players aren't willing or good enough to actually take any responsibility and to make things happen.