Keegan Interview Finished - Recap/Listen Again 1st Post

Greg

Listen to it again via the BBC Website: Click Here

Transcript Thingy

First caller: We lack pace.

Answer: Not the be all end all. Look at the likes of Arsenal. The best teams only have two or three really quick players, the rest are very clever, they have guile. Eg. Rob Lee, David Ginola. Not pacey but clever. (References to likes of Milner/Butt maybe?)

Second caller: Use Shola.

Answer: What i see i like. He can improve even though he's 26. Him and Andy Carroll both ones to work with. Right spirit. Key is they have to deserve to get in the team. Pleased with attitude of all reserves. Keen on following the likes of Middlesbrough/Man City with academy players. Don't do enough at the moment. Challenge for us to get back to the days where Clark, Howey, Watson, etc were coming through.

Third caller: Did you know everything about the Wise thing?

Answer: Not behind my back. Knew i was getting a Director of Football and feel we definitely need that. Chris Mort is a good Chairman but doesn't know masses about football. Ashley wanted a football man. Definitely pleased they chose Wise; fantastic knowledge with football. If we're not able to get local youngsters, the club is right to look further afield. Will make my job easier.

Question: What's Terry Mac's doing?

Answer: Very much in my plans. Not a coach but he goes one on one with the players, he's very important to me. Loves club as much as i do, that's not enough, but there's so much more to him. Having a close look at all the staff that Allardyce brought in, working out whether or not they're vital or not.

Question: I'm a posh southern bint and would it be worth to do a team building boot camp, akin to a military regime?

Answer: We're always looking to do things with the players that pulls things closer together. Have to help new players, especially foreigners, settle in. Weather can be an issue. Planning ahead, pre-season is one of the most vital parts of the season. Go-karting, paint-balling... boot camp... nah.

Question: What the hell's Beardsley doing at Middlesbrough?

Answer: There's got to be a place at Newcastle for Beardsley. A case of finding that place. There is a place for him somewhere. I think he's best working with youngsters; amazing ability to still actually show them how to do it.

Question: What are you going to do about the two goalkeepers at the club?

Answer: Best pair of keepers in the Premiership. Harper will get a chance. Given's a terrific goalkeeper. Two good young ones - Forster, Södeberg trained or the first time today. Shay has edge cos he's played so many games.

Question: What areas of the teams need strengthening most?

Answer: All areas need strengthening. Tried to hijack Woodgate deal, but it was already just about done. Need leaders. Takes time for foreigners to settle - went for Woodgate cos he's experienced, mature, knows the league, is a leader. Players who can play - defenders who can defend, but comfortable with the ball. Lack creativity. Can pass it better than recently. Limited on players to unlock doors, Emre's probably the one who can put people through. Preferably Premiership experience.

Question: Are the reserves going anywhere?

Answer: Blown out of proportion last time, i got rid of them because i was protecting one of the most important parts of the club (pitch). Securing it at SJP for a few hundred people would be difficult. Best way to get into SJP is to make it into the first team.

Question: Is confidence returning?

Answer: Need confidence more than a lot of things. Spirit's good but it can get better. Every player's got his strengths, every player's got an aspect that isn't 'Premiership'. Eg - fitness, experience. Need players to take responsibilty on a football pitch, leading by example. Eg - Rob Lee, not a vocal 'Tony Adams' leadership, but footballing responsibility.

Question: Can you keep N'Zogbia here?

Answer: Not seen any of the contracts yet. If Charles really wnats to go, we need to convince him that he'll miss out on something if he does leave. Need to convince him he'd make a mistake. Charles is open-minded, he's definitely not said he 100% hates it here. Want to keep our best players.

Question: Are you baring in mind the defensive frailties?

Answer: Our defensive records last time were very good. Media is convinced that we lost every game 4-3. Attack can be the best form of defense.

Question: Who's the next player you're going to buy? (Little kid, who's middle name is Shearer)

Answer: Wait till we're safe, then sit down and look at it. Can't give you any names. Easy for me to get Tevez. I could probably get Zola. One day Shearer will be assistant manager.

Question: Alan Shearer.

Answer: Shearer can't be a number 2 with all the commitments he's got at the moment, eg - BBC. The club can wait for Alan. The job will come for him. Shearer knew he couldn't be a number 2 atm. Certain Shearer will be Newcastle manager one day. Strong personalities can get on.

Question: What do you think to the press/public's change of opinion (negative) towards Newcastle?

Answer: Easy target. Not too different from last time, there were people looking for bad stories. It won't change. We can make people eat their words. The more people say things can't be done, the more it drives you on. Can't feel sorry for yourself.

Question: Are there insiders?

Answer: Don't think so. Doubt it very much. Shouldn't read too much into 'insiders'. Ignore it.

Question: Can we get more distribution to the forwards, etc?

Answer: The players lack the confidence to play out-and-out attacking football. Often no space to run into for the forwards. Didn't use space properly after we scored against Boro. With confidence coming back that will change. Desperately need confidence, feeling like you can beat anybody. These players aren't playing as well as they can.

Question: Is the youth academy going to be alright? (Clearly been asleep for a couple of weeks or so)

Answer: Absolutely. Very important part of the club. Going to bring best young foreign players in.

Question: How comfortable are you about the expectations of the title 'Messiah'?

Answer: Like to think it's all about trust for me. All i've ever done is give my all. "Can you work miracles?" No... i'm not comfy with that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here to listen online: http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/local_radio/index.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7227055.stm

Keegan will be live in the BBC Radio Newcastle studios for the first time since his emotional return to St James' Park just a few weeks ago.

And the Toon boss will be taking your calls, texts, and emails, so make sure you ask him the question you always wanted to.

So how do you pose a question? There are three ways:

1. By phone: ring BBC Radio Newcastle on 0191 232 6565 ONLY while the show is on air! All calls charged at local rate.

2. By text: message BBC Radio Newcastle on 07786 200954 ONLY while the show is on air!

3. Online: Submit your question anytime, by using the form below. Be sure to include your name and location!

You can listen to the phone-in live on BBC Radio Newcastle (95.4 FM, 1458 AM, DAB Digital Radio or online at BBC Tyne). The interview will be available to listen to on BBC Sport later that evening.

I guess this will be like the ones Souness did, should be a good listen.

Dear Kevin,

How many more chances is Joey Barton going to get to let you down before you realise he's not worth the bother?

Andy (MCFC), Manchester.

(Altho I imagine they'll probably chuck it straight in the bin and ask him something inane like what his favourite colour is or what kind of biscuit he'd like to be.)

Guest johnson293

I asked:

If you had a time machine, and could go back to some time between 1992 and 1997, and could bring back one of your former players to play in the current Newcastle team, who would it be?

I would guess he'd say Rob Lee or Sir Les.

I asked:

If you had a time machine, and could go back to some time between 1992 and 1997, and could bring back one of your former players to play in the current Newcastle team, who would it be?

Peter Beardsley will be the reply

Is it true that the only players you think are good enough to start for us next season out of the current players you've seen are Given, Emre, N'Zogbia and Owen?

Because that's what Beardsley has been telling people.

Is it true that the only players you think are good enough to start for us next season out of the current players you've seen are Given, Emre, N'Zogbia and Owen?

If that's Keegan's opinion I think he may keep it quiet until the Summer. It wouldn't exactly boost team morale in our fight to win points. I think some people are taking Keegan's "This is a quality squad" comment too seriously. It's not like he'd come out and say "Most of the squad are average to shite but I've got to try to motivate the useless bastards until I can get shot of them in the Summer. That's if their not so shit that they get us relegated".

If that's Keegan's opinion I think he may keep it quiet until the Summer. It wouldn't exactly boost team morale in our fight to win points. I think some people are taking Keegan's "This is a quality squad" comment too seriously. It's not like he'd come out and say "Most of the squad are average to shite but I've got to try to motivate the useless bastards until I can get shot of them in the Summer. That's if their not so shit that they get us relegated".

hahaha, would be interesting if he did though

Can't include the African players.

You'd like to think someone out of his 50 strong staff might have suggested Faye and Beye are worth a look.

I asked if he will give the Owen & Martins partnership a try and not stick with the one big one small tactic like most managers seem to like.

May be a bit to soon to ask as he will not have seen much of Martins if anything at all, depends when Oba gets back I suppose.

Apart from Beye and possibly Faye, I would DEFINITLEY include the African players....except that I wouldn't have included Emre in the 'keep' equation and there are big question marks over Given now, certainly as a first-teamer.

As the Quote icon didn't work, let me add to the a/m posting by saying that, apart from Beye and maybe Faye, I WOULD include the African players - would NOT have kept Emre and also have doubts about Given as a first-teamer now(OK for squad).

I asked him if he thinks the 2-3-5 system would work in today's game.  It was succesful for Uruguay and Argentina in 1930 both contesting the final which Uruguay won and if he developed the virtual 4-2-4 we played in the mid 90's from the brazil team in the late 50's which was allegedly developed by the Hungarians earlier to limited success.

I'm not actually that interested I'd just love to see his face when they asked that but theyll never use it.  It'll be all "Now we ganna win the leeg next year when do ye fink we'll win the world cup like?" just so we can maintain our stereotype of being morons.

Considering we lost our most creative player for sometime in Solano, do you consider bringing in any South American into this team like Asprilla?

Was my question hopefully it gets asked and he'll answer yes, im considering of taking in Messi and Robinho into this team with the £100 milion transfer kitty Mike will give me.