Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

One of the youngsters?

Paris Saint Germain defender Mamadou Sakho has been scouted by Newcastle United as The Magpies compile a lengthy list of potential summer targets.

The Paris-born youngster captained PSG at the tender age of 17, a French record, and has also skippered France Under-17s.

Respected sources claim Newcastle posted representatives at the Coupe de la Ligue final, when Sakho impressed as his side overcame Lens in a dramatic match in front of Setanta Sports cameras, and a return trip to Paris is on the cards.

Directors Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez have handed manager Kevin Keegan a short-list of targets and the United boss will be clocking up the air miles to see them personally.

"As far as their list goes, we'll be flying off over the next three or four weeks to look at the players we don't know," admitted Keegan recently.

"We know their names but there are one or two on the list from Dennis that I haven't seen play."

The 18-year-old is rumoured to be interested in moving to England, although PSG are likely to resist any approaches for their promising stopper.

PSG would want a fair bit for him.

There going down arent they?

One of the youngsters?

Paris Saint Germain defender Mamadou Sakho has been scouted by Newcastle United as The Magpies compile a lengthy list of potential summer targets.

The Paris-born youngster captained PSG at the tender age of 17, a French record, and has also skippered France Under-17s.

Respected sources claim Newcastle posted representatives at the Coupe de la Ligue final, when Sakho impressed as his side overcame Lens in a dramatic match in front of Setanta Sports cameras, and a return trip to Paris is on the cards.

Directors Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez have handed manager Kevin Keegan a short-list of targets and the United boss will be clocking up the air miles to see them personally.

"As far as their list goes, we'll be flying off over the next three or four weeks to look at the players we don't know," admitted Keegan recently.

"We know their names but there are one or two on the list from Dennis that I haven't seen play."

The 18-year-old is rumoured to be interested in moving to England, although PSG are likely to resist any approaches for their promising stopper.

PSG would want a fair bit for him.

There going down arent they?

Maybe, there's a few of them on the same points.

They would still want decent money for him if they do go down.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Keegan said of the situation:

"I was supposed to have gone for lunch with Modric, but I can't remember it. We've earmarked about 20 players, he's one of the best midfielders in the world and the right age, but at the moment - and it's a sad thing - we've gone for three players and lost all three."

Woodgate, Modric, ...........?

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s70/st128556.htm

"I was supposed to have gone for lunch with Modric, but I can't remember it. We've earmarked about 20 players, he's one of the best midfielders in the world and the right age, but at the moment - and it's a sad thing - we've gone for three players and lost all three."

Diarra was mentioned earlier but i dont know.... (Pompey)

Diarra was mentioned earlier but i dont know.... (Pompey)

Diarra deal was lost due to us not having a manager.

Few biggish French teams could go down, all have players worth looking at:

PSG: Mamadou Sakho(as mentioned above), Bernard Mendy, David N'Gog

Toulouse: Johan Elmander, Achille Emana, Jeremy Mathieu

Lens: Aruna Dindane

Auxerre: Thomas Kahlenberg

I also agree that Jean Makoun is a very good shout. Lille are not one of the bigger clubs either so mayn't cost so much altho i imagine Lyon will be after him should someone else come in as they tend to hoover up the French talent (e.g. Bodmer & Toulalan - both good players too)

Few biggish French teams could go down, all have players worth looking at:

PSG: Mamadou Sakho(as mentioned above), Bernard Mendy, David N'Gog

Toulouse: Johan Elmander, Achille Emana, Jeremy Mathieu

Lens: Aruna Dindane

Auxerre: Thomas Kahlenberg

I also agree that Jean Makoun is a very good shout. Lille are not one of the bigger clubs either so mayn't cost so much altho i imagine Lyon will be after him should someone else come in as they tend to hoover up the French talent (e.g. Bodmer & Toulalan - both good players too)

L'Equipe says we're in talks with Modeste MBami from Marseille allegedly. Been linked to loads of players from France, past 2weeks

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has promised to deliver big-name players next season after missing out on Sol Campbell, Lassana Diarra and Luka Modric. (Daily Mirror)

This mornings BBC gossip column ^

I think thats just the media taking a guess. From the interviews I have seen Keegan doesn't mention the players and as others have said we missed out on Diarra before Keegan was even here.

Realistic targets I'd be looking at:

Goran Gavrančić

Currently out on loan from Dinamo Kiev, would provide a real physical presence in the back four. Was famously part of the back four that concded one goal in the build up to the 2004 European cup.

Christian Obodo

A powerful midfielder that would add real steel to the midfield. However question marks remain over his fitness.

Paulo Assunção

Very classy defensive Midfielder available for a reasonable fee. His ball retention and experience make him a regular for Porto but the lure of the Premier League would surely be too much for the Brazilian.

Rio Mavuba

A younger alternative to Assunção, loaned to Lille and although he isn't a regular he looks a class act when ever he appears. Would add solidarity to the center of midfield, although a question mark would remain over his fee.

Roberto Soldado

Placed on the transfer by real madrid, Soldado would provide a direct replacement for Mark Viduka. His physical presence and ball control make him a handful for defenders and this mold makes him perfect for the Premier League.

Roberto Soldado

Placed on the transfer by real madrid, Soldado would provide a direct replacement for Mark Viduka. His physical presence and ball control make him a handful for defenders and this mold makes him perfect for the Premier League.

People said the same thing F.Moreintes it is okay being a big tough Spainiard in Spain but most them get whacked out the Premiership.

Wright-phillips would've been a jump up and down on my sofa signing a week and a half ago... now its more of  a "meh, but look spurs bought modric".

We need a "Extremely hopeful summer targets thread" (although it can't be much different to some of the posts i'm seeing here).

harper

beye  faye    dunne  a. cole/ enrique

bentley  l.diarra  joe cole

owen

martins            huntelaar

There's my never-gonna-happen team for next season

Guest VegasToon

Wright-phillips would've been a jump up and down on my sofa signing a week and a half ago... now its more of  a "meh, but look spurs bought modric".

We need a "Extremely hopeful summer targets thread" (although it can't be much different to some of the posts i'm seeing here).

harper

beye  faye    dunne   a. cole/ enrique

bentley   l.diarra   joe cole

owen

martins            huntelaar

There's my never-gonna-happen team for next season

Could you imagine how many goals we would score?    :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Newcastle want West Ham striker Dean Ashton, and are also interested in Everton left-back Leighton Baines and Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar.

Spaniard Cuellar could be landed as part of a swap deal involving £5m-rated Alan Smith. (Various) :iamatwat:

bbc gossip

Also from BBC gossip...

Sunderland will hand manager Roy Keane an £80m transfer kitty. (The Sun)

Tottenham have begun talks with Valencia over £16m-rated striker David Villa, who they see as a perfect replacement for Dimitar Berbatov. Spurs also want to sign Sevilla winger Diego Capel. (Daily Mail)