Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Guest optimistic nit

Well it certainly won't be Harper on the way out. We'll need dynamite to get that fucker out. :hmm:

Liverpool have definitely been sniffing around the market for a backup GK, being linked with Harps back in April and he's been a Liverpool fan since he was a bairn, so I think it's the only club he'd consider.

If he hadn't got that run for us last season then I reckon he'd probably be away, even if it was just to sit on the bench there. As it stands he's got the jersey here, so it would probably be an awful decision for him if it did actually come about.

I have had the feeling that one of the two could leave, to be honest, though if the reduced wages policy is right I'd expect that player to be Given ahead of Harper, I'd bet Shay is one of the best-paid keepers in the league.

i really dont think we have a reduced wage policy, or a reduced transfer policy, i think ashley and mort had a lot of sense, and any sensible wage or transfer policy would be too pay a player what he is worth, so paying given and owen a lot is good, but smith, bad.

i dont see us trying to sell owen, and i cant see us saying no to buying messi if we could have him for 20 million, because we were not going to spend that much on one player.

imo gone are the days when we offer shit players good money and a high transfer fee (there will obviously be hiccoups, smith was signed by ashley, but we are not as desperate as shepheard was, we are more patient imo and we wont just accept whatever we are offered, we will try and haggle down.

it has always seemed that with ashley the philosophy is that if they are worth it, we will pay it.

Willian da Silva from Shakhtar Donetsk looks like a really good player hopefully newcastle can transfer him..looks like a really good talent plus his a creative midfielder ..and Aurelio's contract has finished i think so he would have a big contarct around £40- 50 thousand per week and a big signning on fee like the £750,000 in that article about betis..but a player like Aurelio (natural defensive mid) is needed to play with a creative midfielder as he covers the whole midfield area and helps the defense and is a good ball winner i dont think nicky butt will play much next season if he signs and i dont think he will require much time to adapt to the premier league.

i think newcastle should do something about there young players in the squad, send them on loan to foreign leagues to improve, look at colin kazim-richards he dont look like the same player he once was.

To be honest, Given has probably gone as far as he can go.

If we think we can get someone better without breaking the bank, I'm all for it.

david james? given has had a bad season and a bit, we are now all going to write off his entire career, when hes not even reached the age a keeper usually reaches his prime? maybe hes finished, i doubt it.

Pointless bringing in someone who's even older than Given imo. If we're not planning on keeping Given then we need to look long-term. I'd have either him or Harper in goal rather than a stopgap.

EDIT: ^^^ This has to be the finest example of missing the point, ever.

:lol:

your talking about whether we should keep given and im (and james, as far as i know) talking about whether given is finished or not.

run along.

:undecided:

... I know all that. Which is why i said in the edit that i'd missed the point of your post.

Decky, comparisons with James and Given aren't possible, as James has always had the complete package but the mental side of his game was lacking and he has improved this with age, and by avoiding serious injury his career has been able to go on and on and get better as he has matured.

Meanwhile, Given's game has always been fairly limited, and injury problems have affected those abilities he had which were previously considered strengths.

As such, as I said in my original post if Andujar is potentially better, and affordable, he is worth it, as you can't really say no to improving any player in the team.

Guest VegasToon

All I can say is that after Spiderman I am convinced the media don't know shit about who we are after and neither do we.  So why get all excited over an article?  Just relax and go drink a beer and let KK work.

All I can say is that after Spiderman I am convinced the media don't know shit about who we are after and neither do we.  So why get all excited over an article?   Just relax and go drink a beer and let KK work.

viva

^^^^^^^^^^

Whats the story? Page not loading for me.

Ferdinand rules out Newcastle United switch

19:31 July, 3, 2008

Anton Ferdinand has ruled out a move to Newcastle United Football Club.

Mail The FansFC Editor

Send This Article To A Friend

Post Your View on The Msg Board

Kevin Keegan had reportedly made the 23-year-old defender a top target for St James Park, but the younger brother of Manchester United’s Rio has pledged his future to West Ham United.

"It's just speculation," Ferdinand told Sky Sports News.

"Until I get back to London I don't know what is going on. For me personally, until Alan Curbishley says I am not a West Ham player, then I will be a West Ham player. I love playing for the club."

^^^^^^^^^^

Mail The FansFC Editor

Kevin Keegan had reportedly made the 23-year-old defender a top target for St James Park, but the younger brother of Manchester United’s Rio has pledged his future to West Ham United.

"Until I get back to London I don't know what is going on. For me personally, until Alan Curbishley says I am not a West Ham player, then I will be a West Ham player. I love playing for the club."

Thanks. Don't think we're missing out on much.

Guest VegasToon

Oh no I'd be gutted if we missed out on Anton Ferdinand!  mackems.gif

Another reason to grab a beer.

TO CELEBRATE HE ISN'T COMING!!! :booze:

^^^^^^^^^^

Mail The FansFC Editor

Kevin Keegan had reportedly made the 23-year-old defender a top target for St James Park, but the younger brother of Manchester Uniteds Rio has pledged his future to West Ham United.

SSN this morning showed the Ferdinand interview this morning and he did indeed say those exact words...but it was regarding interest from Villa not us.