Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

What position does he play in, Jol?

Left winger.  Although there's abviously friction between Spurs and Sevilla nowadays, his buyout clause is £8 or £9m and Ramos thinks he's worth it.  Arsenal are also wanting him though.

Fantastic dribbler of the ball.

Left winger.  Although there's abviously friction between Spurs and Sevilla nowadays, his buyout clause is £8 or £9m and Ramos thinks he's worth it.  Arsenal are also wanting him though.

He is indeed.  Gave Chimbonda a torrid time in the uefa cup last season.  I know Ramos has been impressed with Malbranque's application on the left but Diego Capel would be a significant upgrade.

Guest kingdawson

He is indeed.  Gave Chimbonda a torrid time in the uefa cup last season.  I know Ramos has been impressed with Malbranque's application on the left but Diego Capel would be a significant upgrade.

Capel would be good but not at the expense of Steed who's probably been our player of the year. I guess we could move him in the centre but those positions are more than likely reserved for jj and a new dm. :coolsmiley:

Oh and i dont actually think he played that well against us in the uefa cup game last season tbh.

Capel would be good but not at the expense of Steed who's probably been our player of the year. I guess we could move him in the centre but those positions are more than likely reserved for jj and a new dm. :coolsmiley:

Oh and i dont actually think he played that well against us in the uefa cup game last season tbh.

I don't see Malbranque being moved on tbh, he's played consistently well for us, but he's not a Ramos style of player that Capel is.  There's a strong argument for saying Lennon could easily be replaced by Steed should Capel arrive.  Poyet confirmed on Catalan radio RAC1 that Kameni and Jarque are definitely potential targets, which tbf, is really only confirming old news though Amelia is still said to be the #1 choice.  FWIW, I'm told Newcastle have spoken again about Chimbonda.  no bid or anything like that, just asking about the current state on his availability.  The interest does seem to be serious though.

Barnes and Chimbonda probably both still "on the radar" then, as it were.

Have to say the Chimbonda one puzzles me unless Beye does indeed move to centre-half.

Or out from the first team altogether. Keegan likes attacking full backs and Beye is ok in that regard but not his strongest point.

Barnes and Chimbonda probably both still "on the radar" then, as it were.

Have to say the Chimbonda one puzzles me unless Beye does indeed move to centre-half.

Chimbonda has played at CB for Spurs quite a few times and LB as well as RB so he is versatile, but yes, it is a strange one to think about a potential first choice RB when you've already got Beye who ticks those boxes.  I've said before that Chimbo could do with the signing on fee and his agent is Willie McKay but that's no reason why KK would lash out the best part of £8m (what Levy is looking for) for a player who wouldn't seem to be a high priority signing.

By the time the summer window closes I think I'd be surprised to have seen this deal completed, not because I don't think it could, but because I can't think of enough good reasons why it should.

Guest kingdawson

I don't see Malbranque being moved on tbh, he's played consistently well for us, but he's not a Ramos style of player that Capel is.  There's a strong argument for saying Lennon could easily be replaced by Steed should Capel arrive.  Poyet confirmed on Catalan radio RAC1 that Kameni and Jarque are definitely potential targets, which tbf, is really only confirming old news though Amelia is still said to be the #1 choice.   FWIW, I'm told Newcastle have spoken again about Chimbonda.  no bid or anything like that, just asking about the current state on his availability.  The interest does seem to be serious though.

Yeh heard about that. Not really how we usually conduct business is it? (saying that, we did the same thing with Downing). Jarque looks good from the little ive seen of him but he's more the Dawson mould than King or Woodgate (he seems rather slow but a good tackler and very strong). Kameni's reflexes is probably one of the best in the world but i dont really like these essentric goalie's tbh (he'll either be really good or shite).

Do you honestly see the point in signing Jarque when we already have 4, more than capable cb's (im assuming rocha is sold)?

I don't see Malbranque being moved on tbh, he's played consistently well for us, but he's not a Ramos style of player that Capel is.  There's a strong argument for saying Lennon could easily be replaced by Steed should Capel arrive.  Poyet confirmed on Catalan radio RAC1 that Kameni and Jarque are definitely potential targets, which tbf, is really only confirming old news though Amelia is still said to be the #1 choice.   FWIW, I'm told Newcastle have spoken again about Chimbonda.  no bid or anything like that, just asking about the current state on his availability.  The interest does seem to be serious though.

Yeh heard about that. Not really how we usually conduct business is it? (saying that, we did the same thing with Downing). Jarque looks good from the little ive seen of him but he's more the Dawson mould than King or Woodgate (he seems rather slow but a good tackler and very strong). Kameni's reflexes is probably one of the best in the world but i dont really like these essentric goalie's tbh (he'll either be really good or s****).

Do you honestly see the point in signing Jarque when we already have 4, more than capable cb's (im assuming rocha is sold)?

I'm told there was reasoning behind Poyet's radio interview, but I haven't got a clue what the reasoning would be, both Jarque and Kameni have been on the radar for a while though the deal for Amelia I thought was more or less already agreed, might be wrong though.  Jarque is necessary imho. 

King - big ? on fitness

Woody - little ? on fitness

Daws - Plays his best games alongside King

Kaboul - getting better but still learning the trade

Rocha - farewell

Dervite - coming back steadily from his ACL.

Take out the top 2 and I think there is a big need for another CB, especially if the board are serious about pushing on to a higher level.  FWIW I wouldn't be surprised to see Daws go when Kaboul and Dervite have got more experience under their belts.

Beye and Faye would be a canny CB partnership imo.

Would like to at least see it tried, like.

In theory it's a decent blend of pace/power, with both looking to be good enough on the ball to relieve some of the pressure off the goalkeeper and the midfield. Their obvious similarities would also be a boon (nationality, etc.), you'd hope.

Not sure how Beye would cope with the bigger centre forwards, but as a partnership it would seem to have a lot of good ingredients. Certainly a better prospect than any potential partnership between Cacapa/Faye/Taylor.

Newcastle are looking at highly-rated Greek international Vasilis Torosidis.

The Magpies dispatched one of their scouts to watch Olympiakos in action at the weekend and it is understood Torosidis was their primary target.

The 22-year-old is an attacking right-back and is rated as one of the best young players in Greece having impressed hugely for Olympiakos this term.

He is already an established member of the Greek national side with ten caps to his name.

Interest

Newcastle are not the only side to have taken an interest and scouts from Juventus, Monaco and Atletico Madrid were all believed to be at the Karaiskaki at the weekend to watch Torosidis.

Earlier in the year Rangers were also said to be keeping tabs on him.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3237374,00.html

Newcastle are looking at highly-rated Greek international Vasilis Torosidis.

The Magpies dispatched one of their scouts to watch Olympiakos in action at the weekend and it is understood Torosidis was their primary target.

The 22-year-old is an attacking right-back and is rated as one of the best young players in Greece having impressed hugely for Olympiakos this term.

He is already an established member of the Greek national side with ten caps to his name.

Interest

Newcastle are not the only side to have taken an interest and scouts from Juventus, Monaco and Atletico Madrid were all believed to be at the Karaiskaki at the weekend to watch Torosidis.

Earlier in the year Rangers were also said to be keeping tabs on him.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3237374,00.html

Another right back or a view to playing him further up the field? Good to see our scouts doing something..

Guest teepee

i don't get all this right back talk - imo beye is probably the best signing we've made this season, and i truly believe that he should be automatic first choice rb. that he can act as a back up cb is just a plus....

Beye and Faye would be a canny CB partnership imo.

Would like to at least see it tried, like.

In theory it's a decent blend of pace/power, with both looking to be good enough on the ball to relieve some of the pressure off the goalkeeper and the midfield. Their obvious similarities would also be a boon (nationality, etc.), you'd hope.

Not sure how Beye would cope with the bigger centre forwards, but as a partnership it would seem to have a lot of good ingredients. Certainly a better prospect than any potential partnership between Cacapa/Faye/Taylor.

I don't think Beye would have that much of a problem against the bigger centre forwards, he's decent in the air and looks a stronger player that both Taylor and Cacapa.

i don't get all this right back talk - imo beye is probably the best signing we've made this season, and i truly believe that he should be automatic first choice rb. that he can act as a back up cb is just a plus....

He's not the best going forward though is he? Which is what some think Keegan will look for in his fullbacks.

We also need another with Carr being out of contract at the end of the season.

How come Barnsley have got a better target man than us? Caused massive problems all game.

Game of his life probably. He's hardly scoring for fun in the Championship is he?

How come Barnsley have got a better target man than us? Caused massive problems all game.

Game of his life probably. He's hardly scoring for fun in the Championship is he?

Smith & Viduka have done the business........................