Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

How come Barnsley have got a better target man than us? Caused massive problems all game.

Game of his life probably. He's hardly scoring for fun in the Championship is he?

Scored once.

I did say target man not goal scorer; was also being a bit tongue in cheek. But on a serious note I'd rather have him than Smith, I'd rather have Dion Dublin than Smith, in fact I'd rather have Dionne Warwick.

How come Barnsley have got a better target man than us? Caused massive problems all game.

Game of his life probably. He's hardly scoring for fun in the Championship is he?

Scored once.

I did say target man not goal scorer; was also being a bit tongue in cheek. But on a serious note I'd rather have him than Smith, I'd rather have Dion Dublin than Smith, in fact I'd rather have Dionne Warwick.

I'd even have Celine Dion. ;)

Guest BooBoo

Matt Derbyshire would be a player i'd like to see us move for. The idea of hoovering up the cast offs from the top sides is to be avoided imo.

Guest ObaStar

Scored once.

First goal in 6 months for that bloke

United boss identifies five summer transfer targets

NEWCASTLE boss Kevin Keegan has revealed there are "four or five" players in Scotland who are interesting him ahead of the summer transfer window.

The former England manager spent a lot of time north of the border running his Soccer Circus business before returning to Tyneside in January and believes the Scottish game is improving.

But he thinks he would have competition for any signing bids.

"I think you will see more and more Premier League managers looking at Scotland because there is some talent here," Keegan said.

"I don't mean this disrespectfully but probably, for the last six or seven years, that wasn't always the case.

"We are like any other club, we will look for talent wherever we think it can improve us. Whether it be Scotland, Lithuania, Russia, that's what you do.

"At the moment I think Scotland has got four or five players. (Alan) Hutton has just gone down to Spurs from Rangers and I think there are others here, definitely.

"I think they will interest everybody to be honest, not just me."

Keegan has been well placed to see the resurgence in Scottish talent in his football skills attraction at Braehead, near Glasgow.

With Newcastle not playing until next Monday, when they travel to Birmingham on Barclays Premier League duty, Keegan took time out to launch an initiative providing exercise and nutrition for schoolchildren.

He said: "There's definitely a lot of talent coming through. Most of it is already known about.

"We have had Celtic Under-19s and Under-14s here, we have had Dundee United's youngsters here. So there is already some fantastic young players coming through. We saw a lot of good girl players as well.

"I think there is a resurgence in Scotland, from what I am seeing, of kids who want to play.

"What they have got to make sure is those kids who are playing at 12, 13, 14, don't fall by the wayside when they get to 15, 16.

"I think that's what happens a lot, not just in Scotland, but the north of England.

"We have got to address that because those two or three years, you can't just go missing from football and just pick it back up again, because they are vital years.

"I guess a lot of guys want to go and watch Rangers and Celtic and teams like that rather than play and they have got to try to do both."

The former Liverpool striker spent more than a decade developing the skills centre after fearing that children were losing out on opportunities to develop their game.

"It's much more difficult now," he said. "When I was a youngster the streets were a safe place to go almost throughout the country, I would say. It's not the case now.

"We had better facilities in those days. You have got to look at would you want your kid to go out in the street at night, so you have to look at the alternatives, and we offer a safe environment."

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/United-boss-identifies-five-summer.3862122.jp

Matt Derbyshire would be a player i'd like to see us move for. The idea of hoovering up the cast offs from the top sides is to be avoided imo.

Good, young, English, barely getting a look in. Thing is, he is a local lad (to Blackburn) and had just had a kid so I couldn't see him moving.

Also a rare breed, signed from the non-leagues!

Oh and he rejected Manure (apparently) to join Blackburn. No go tbh.

United boss identifies five summer transfer targets

NEWCASTLE boss Kevin Keegan has revealed there are "four or five" players in Scotland who are interesting him ahead of the summer transfer window.

The former England manager spent a lot of time north of the border running his Soccer Circus business before returning to Tyneside in January and believes the Scottish game is improving.

But he thinks he would have competition for any signing bids.

"I think you will see more and more Premier League managers looking at Scotland because there is some talent here," Keegan said.

"I don't mean this disrespectfully but probably, for the last six or seven years, that wasn't always the case.

"We are like any other club, we will look for talent wherever we think it can improve us. Whether it be Scotland, Lithuania, Russia, that's what you do.

"At the moment I think Scotland has got four or five players. (Alan) Hutton has just gone down to Spurs from Rangers and I think there are others here, definitely.

"I think they will interest everybody to be honest, not just me."

Keegan has been well placed to see the resurgence in Scottish talent in his football skills attraction at Braehead, near Glasgow.

With Newcastle not playing until next Monday, when they travel to Birmingham on Barclays Premier League duty, Keegan took time out to launch an initiative providing exercise and nutrition for schoolchildren.

He said: "There's definitely a lot of talent coming through. Most of it is already known about.

"We have had Celtic Under-19s and Under-14s here, we have had Dundee United's youngsters here. So there is already some fantastic young players coming through. We saw a lot of good girl players as well.

"I think there is a resurgence in Scotland, from what I am seeing, of kids who want to play.

"What they have got to make sure is those kids who are playing at 12, 13, 14, don't fall by the wayside when they get to 15, 16.

"I think that's what happens a lot, not just in Scotland, but the north of England.

"We have got to address that because those two or three years, you can't just go missing from football and just pick it back up again, because they are vital years.

"I guess a lot of guys want to go and watch Rangers and Celtic and teams like that rather than play and they have got to try to do both."

The former Liverpool striker spent more than a decade developing the skills centre after fearing that children were losing out on opportunities to develop their game.

"It's much more difficult now," he said. "When I was a youngster the streets were a safe place to go almost throughout the country, I would say. It's not the case now.

"We had better facilities in those days. You have got to look at would you want your kid to go out in the street at night, so you have to look at the alternatives, and we offer a safe environment."

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/United-boss-identifies-five-summer.3862122.jp

Good point about when kids stop playing after about 15/16, I was one so were most of my friends. We played 11s religiously up until then and when you stop it's very hard to get back to the same level you were at in terms of developing.

i hope he was just being polite to the scots.

eh?

They are producing some good players, some quite gifted. Scott Brown would walk into our team!

Indeed Scotland is one of the up and coming nations in Europe at the moment in terms of talented young players and that is being shown by teams like Real Madrid and all the premiership teams taking a keen interest in them.

eh?

They are producing some good players, some quite gifted. Scott Brown would walk into our team!

Indeed Scotland is one of the up and coming nations in Europe at the moment in terms of talented young players and that is being shown by teams like Real Madrid and all the premiership teams taking a keen interest in them.

Exactly. I don't know why people are so dismissive of their players, they have benefited from some changes at grassroots up to SPL level and some quality players are coming through.

eh?

Brown is nowt special. just a trier. for someone who is supposed to be good going forward how many goals has he got this season in a shite league?

McGeady looks good but not worth the reported £12m, and i think it was Shak who says he has looked shite whenever he played for Ireland.

Can someone name me 4 or 5 players playing up there who we would be interested in?

Fletcher and various youngsters from hibs, McGeady, Brown maybe others from Celtic. Maybe Berra from Hearts and there are various other talented youngsters at Motherwell, Falkirk etc.

Can someone name me 4 or 5 players playing up there who we would be interested in?

Fletcher and various youngsters from hibs, McGeady, Brown maybe others from Celtic. Maybe Berra from Hearts and there are various other talented youngsters at Motherwell, Falkirk etc.

There is plenty of talent tbh.

McGeady and Brown have both been linked so we'll put them in as two.

If Cousin at Rangers keeps playing the way he has been I could see him being an option, and I definetly think we'll move for Ceullar from the gers too, prob gonna SPL Player of the Year.

Fletcher of Hibs another pos, dont fancy McCormick meself, Chris Burke is a quality right winger at the gers too!

(need to stop naming gers players, theyre my other team!)