Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Campbell's legs have gone, i'd rather not now.

Had a better season than any of our shite!

Pompy have had a better season than us. He's been decent, not as good as the year before, and i reckon next season we'll see the same kind of drop again.

Distin's pace rescues him and them quite a bit, we don't have that in any of our defenders.

Had a better season than any of our s****!

Pompy have had a better season than us. He's been decent, not as good as the year before, and i reckon next season we'll see the same kind of drop again.

Distin's pace rescues him and them quite a bit, we don't have that in any of our defenders.

speaking of pompey, the type of midfielder they've got their CM packed with is what we should be targetting;

big, athletic, strong bastards with pace and stamina who can get up and down the pitch and dominate teams especially away from home

they struggle at home as none of those players are creative as such, i'd arrest that by signing a bearsdley-esque player to play up front with another striker (owen or martins would do)

i really think that's the way we need to go...buying a CM like alonso/gerrard or whoever would cost the earth and they wouldn't come, doing it this way would protect the defence too which we so depserately need

I still think think he'd be better than our current crop next season... although take your point that he will no doubt decline a bit more.  Just would fancy Faye & Campbell at the back, both surely would protect us from set pieces very much.  Hyypia was tipped to be a fring player this year, yet he's played 20 league games and 10 champions league games.  Still think Campbell has somthing to offer and is possible to get... it's actually quite difficult to think of players we can get from EPL because a lot of clubs who we could buy from, are doing so much better than us.

speaking of pompey, the type of midfielder they've got their CM packed with is what we should be targetting;

big, athletic, strong bastards with pace and stamina who can get up and down the pitch and dominate teams especially away from home

they struggle at home as none of those players are creative as such, i'd arrest that by signing a bearsdley-esque player to play up front with another striker (owen or martins would do)

i really think that's the way we need to go...buying a CM like alonso/gerrard or whoever would cost the earth and they wouldn't come, doing it this way would protect the defence too which we so depserately need

Height as well. We really could do with some aerial prowess in the centre, we've had none since Speed left and it shows. We get no goals from mid players at set pieces and the ball sails over the heads of our short arse mids and straight to or back to the opposition.

Strength, pace and power as well? That's a lot of requirements for one player, hope we can find him.

I still think think he'd be better than our current crop next season... although take your point that he will no doubt decline a bit more.  Just would fancy Faye & Campbell at the back, both surely would protect us from set pieces very much.  Hyypia was tipped to be a fring player this year, yet he's played 20 league games and 10 champions league games.  Still think Campbell has somthing to offer and is possible to get... it's actually quite difficult to think of players we can get from EPL because a lot of clubs who we could buy from, are doing so much better than us.

as far as CB's go i'd prefer it if we sent our highly paid new scouting team off to find us one who we haven't been linked with conssistently over the past 3-4 seasons

there's a wide wide world of footballers out there and if we look past sol campbell and sami hyppia (and the cast offs from the "big 4" ) we could actually get one who is good, the right age and not costing a fortune in wages/fees

is someone telling me there's not a CB in germany or italy, for example that we could scout and sign within the next 2-3 months?  'cause there has to be

I agree, we do need more pace, strenght and skill in midfield.  Problem is that none of the current players of that calibre in the league would come to us given how shit we are at the moment and that the race for european spots is quite open to a number of these clubs.

I'd like us to get these... but know it would be impossible.

Diaby

Muntari

Diop

Utaka

Gilberto Silva

Sadly, the type of players we may have to look to as we rebuild may include Jimmy Bullard and Giles Barnes before any of the above!

:(

Height as well. We really could do with some aerial prowess in the centre, we've had none since Speed left and it shows. We get no goals from mid players at set pieces and the ball sails over the heads of our short arse mids and straight to or back to the opposition.

Strength, pace and power as well? That's a lot of requirements for one player, hope we can find him.

harry did OK getting all of his on decent fees...to be honest i'd take diop and muntari as our starting CM's next season in a heartbeat

there'll be a couple more africans knocking about out there who fulfill those requirements and all i reckon...

to be honest it's more a point about how we set up next season, i strongly believe if we try and play 2 strikers and a 'playmaking' CM we'll be just as bad...there aren't many playmaking midfielders who can compete physically these days so i'd go for a couple as mentioned above but ensure the creativity comes form the wings and the as yet unidentified beardsley type player

we're a soft touch, it's something that we really can't afford to be next season or the rot might set in early on

as far as CB's go i'd prefer it if we sent our highly paid new scouting team off to find us one who we haven't been linked with conssistently over the past 3-4 seasons

there's a wide wide world of footballers out there and if we look past sol campbell and sami hyppia (and the cast offs from the "big 4" ) we could actually get one who is good, the right age and not costing a fortune in wages/fees

is someone telling me there's not a CB in germany or italy, for example that we could scout and sign within the next 2-3 months?  'cause there has to be

Oh I totally agree that there are players outside of England which could fit the profile, but in my original post I stated Campbell in my list of targets because I was only looking at the EPL for players, I don't see enough football from Germany or Italy to give a decent suggestion from outside Premier League.

Oh I totally agree that there are players outside of England which could fit the profile, but in my original post I stated Campbell in my list of targets because I was only looking at the EPL for players, I don't see enough football from Germany or Italy to give a decent suggestion from outside Premier League.

neither do i, but they exist...i'm sure if you and i were paid millions a year to find them we could too?!!!!

Sam Vokes 18 yrar old from Bournemouth signing according to AO

Honestly? He's very close to signing for Burnley from what I've heard. Certainly building up a youth/reserve team aren't we.

About fuking time.

More the merrier. I hear we have next to nothing in the youth, and literally nothing in reserves to bridge the gap between the and the first team.

Honestly? He's very close to signing for Burnley from what I've heard. Certainly building up a youth/reserve team aren't we.

Aye here is the link

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/03/13/united-swoop-for-young-gun-vokes-72703-20617218/

I am told that plans are well advanced to bring the 18-year-old to St James’s Park – and then lend him back to the Division One outfit until the end of the season.

Surely that wouldn't be allowed?

Aye here is the link

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/03/13/united-swoop-for-young-gun-vokes-72703-20617218/

I am told that plans are well advanced to bring the 18-year-old to St James’s Park – and then lend him back to the Division One outfit until the end of the season.

No. It couldn't possibly happen.  :lol:

I think what we'd do is pay them upfront and he joins at the end of the season.

Aye here is the link

signs a contract but wont transfer till next season

It really is such a shame we can't really enjoy the exciting changes being made at the club at the moment, due to the threat of relegation.

If we could just stay up there will clearly be some very exciting times ahead for us.

It's so nice to see investments being made in the youth at this club and not just reading about other clubs doing it.