Second Favourite Teams?

ChrisJbarnes

I just can't understand how anyone has a "second favourite club" what the f*** is that all about.

what about teams from other leagues?  :sad1: people surely can have a favorite from la liga or whatever.  just have to be all NUFC should we meet in the intertoto!   :indi:

:angel:

Why would you want to support a team form somewhere you weren't from?

Second teams from anywhere is bad enough, but another in the EPL, as the first poster clearly has, is mental.

My lads both support Newcastle - both born and live in London. Are you saying they shouldn't? Given that I'm from Newcastle and the local EPL team is West Ham, their choice makes total sense to me.

My thought has always been that you support the club from the place you come from, or that uyou have a strong (i.e. not - my Nan met Supermac in Filey once) connection to. So if i moved to London, my kids would quite possibly support NUFC. But THEIR kids, if they stayed there, less likely to do so. And thats all well and good.

I have a big soft spot for Fulham. If I lived in London and couldn't get to see Villa play, I'd definitely go and watch Fulham when i wanted a football fix.

Great traditional ground, the cottage is lovely, an Archibald Leitch stand, a fantastic location by the river, decent fans, good boozers all round the area, the neutral end to use when away tickets sell out quickly, knowledgeable supporters, nice club who try to play football.

What I don't understand are people who say "s*** club, no fans" as if anyone who doesnt get 40,000 and play in some identikit blandodome stadium isn't worth paying attention to. They're entirely missing the point. About football in general, in fact.

I hope they stay up. One Fulham is worth 100 Wigans.

Should be relegated due to Arthur Askey, Terry from minder and the millions their owners wasted getting an inquiry into a drunk driving accident.

Follow Greenock Morton as second team cos not only closest club to me i'm a glutton for punishment  :crazy2:

Newcastle reserves, Newcastle juniors - Newcastle Diamonds and Newcastle Falcons, and the Eagles, Vipers and anything with Newcastle -

"Third Clubs" - Carlisle or Darlington or Hartlepool or Hearts or Berwick (haven't a clue why I am pleased when any of them win, but I am)

Note - NO "top club" does this make me an anti-gloryhunter ?

Guest LucaAltieri

Newcastle reserves, Newcastle juniors - Newcastle Diamonds and Newcastle Falcons, and the Eagles, Vipers and anything with Newcastle -

"Third Clubs" - Carlisle or Darlington or Hartlepool or Hearts or Berwick (haven't a clue why I am pleased when any of them win, but I am)

Note - NO "top club" does this make me an anti-gloryhunter ?

You can't like Darlington AND Hartlepool. I'm sure there's a law against it.

I go to the occasional St Mirren game, when the Toon haven't got a game of course.

Stayed at a friends' aunties house in that area, back in the eighties.

I was up there for about 3 weeks, so took in a few games on all the local grounds. Went to Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Morton even.

Didn't like the old firm because of all the glory-hunters they get. St Mirren had a canny team at the time. I remember Frank Mcavennie was playing for them, and they used to scrape into the uefa cup now and again. They always gave the "big" clubs a good game. Playing in black and white stripes helped i suppose.

Guest toonlass

Rangers - family are from Cumbernauld, go to Ibrox when I am up there, have followed them since I was little just like I did newcastle

My uncles are all Rangers daft  :frantic: They have been Newcastle season ticket holders for years, but whenever Newcastle arn't at home, they are always up Glasgow on the train at a Rangers game, having a good piss up

Was at a party tonight and they were all glued to the Telly cheering them on  :lol: I've never really liked Rangers, prefer Celtic tbh

I don't have a second team really. I support Newcastle United, no-one else. 100% of my passion goes in to them.

I do however have a soft spot for a few other clubs in other leagues, for various reasons. I want them to do well but in all honesty if any of them were to get relegated or anything like that I'd not be too bothered at the end of the day.

In the Premiership at least, I've always somewhat liked Aston Villa. For years now. Similar up and down status to us, similar dodgy times under dodgy chairman, theres a lot to relate to in Villa from my perspective. More importantly I've been to Villa Park for away games a number of times and never had a bad moment there. It's situated in a horrible part of the country to be perfectly honest with you but aside from a couple of draws I've had nothing but a good day out going to watch us play Villa.

I also admire, in a way, Fulham, for just being... inoffensive. Them and Villa are pretty much the only 2 opposition clubs who don't annoy, irritate, anger or bore me. Plus I've been to a couple of away games at Craven Cottage and also just a match between them and Blackburn in 98 or 99 when both were in Division 1 for a few years, and enjoyed myself.

I have some form of connection to lower league sides as well. Barrow and Plymouth through family ties. I live a 5 minute walk away from Sincil Bank so I obviously keep an eye out for Lincoln City and I've naturally been to a lot of City games in the last couple of years. I absolutely despise the place and have no link to it at all apart from being born in a hospital there but I also watch out for Wycombe Wanderers as well.

As for foreign clubs, I look out for Barca (just been mesmerised by them for years and years now, call me a gloryhunter if you must), Marseille (since back in the days when PSG were good and I didn't want to go for any of the more successful 'big' clubs like them, Lyon and to an extent Monaco), Fiorentina (from years back when Football Italia was on C4 and Batistuta, Rui Costa and the like were playing for them) and Palermo (recently because I felt something for them when we played them in Europe).

• 1 year later...

Not really what everyone wants to consider right now I'm sure, but it did pop into my mind when contemplating following Martins next year possibly in another Premier League team.

Will you be supporting any sides in the Premier League next year?

A surreal and quite ironic scenario given the lovely time period when this thread was created (by the looks of it we were just as suicidal then to be fair).

Personally I dont know if I could cope with watching the premier league to begin with, I might just try and ignore it? 

Will you be supporting any sides in the Premier League next year?

Everton and Fulham most likely.  I've always liked Everton for some unknown reason and I have liked Fulham for many of the reasons stated before in this thread.

Obviously Newcastle is my one and only club (I'll never support anyone else), but since here in the States we only really get the Prem on TV, I'll be watching those two with a particular interest during next season.

Outside of England/The Prem I always keep up with the Montreal Impact and I do quite like Fiorentina.

I won't be taking much notice in the Prem next season.

How anyone could contemplate supporting a club in the Premiership is beyond me.

Newcastle for life, regardless of what divison they're in. There simply wont be another team for me.

Guest Ebolarama

Because I feel no particular allegiance to Newcastle United with the current shitfucking shambles both on and off the pitch, the teams I will be taking more notice of than normal next year are:

Fulham

Burnley

Plymouth

Swansea

Brighton & Hove Albion

Guest Stephen927

I'll be keeping an eye on the results and I'll still watch Match of the Day but I don't think I could support another Premiership team. I'll keep an eye on Burnley's results in particular but I wouldn't say I would be supporting them.

Guest diddimz

If i ever had to pick a second club, it would be the Roar in the A League, partially because its my local club, secondly, because I use to play in their academy/youth. The only thing i think stopping me from being more involved with supporting them is the fact they are a young club and i was already in love with newcastle by the time they came into being, that and at times i still feel kinda bitter about being released ;D. Plan on getting a season ticket for them this year though now that I have the money to spare.