Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Guest Brewcastle

Check other threads about caracteristics of rest of the team. -How can a striker deliver much when the rest of the team su** that much? -IMO we can't judge Martins before he've taken place in a team that works. If he does, and doesn't deliver then...... yes, then you all that gives him  :thdn:  :angry: are welcome to say: What did we say :celb:

The problems with Martins aren't just down to the rest of the team. Okay, he may have been slightly more effective if the midfield was creating chances but that still doesn't excuse his lack of footballing ability. No first touch, awful finishing, complete lack of a brain and sporadic use of this 'blistering pace' we heard so much about.

Personally he should've been ran out of town when he took that penalty against Arsenal with his weaker foot.

The problems with Martins aren't just down to the rest of the team. Okay, he may have been slightly more effective if the midfield was creating chances but that still doesn't excuse his lack of footballing ability. No first touch, awful finishing, complete lack of a brain and sporadic use of this 'blistering pace' we heard so much about.

Personally he should've been ran out of town when he took that penalty against Arsenal with his weaker foot.

Even though he was our best player in that game and got our only goal later on? don't be daft man

Played through the pain barrier for us, and looked our only striker likely to score under Shearer, despite performing poorly.

Even though he was our best player in that game and got our only goal later on? don't be daft man

Played through the pain barrier for us, and looked our only striker likely to score under Shearer, despite performing poorly.

Yes. If he'd scored the penalty it probably would've changed the game. We had them on the ropes and when he fluffed it for no other reason than he thought he was on the training ground heads dropped and Arsenal got a boost.

Personally I think Viduka was our best striker at the arse end of the season and the few chances he had he made more compared to the handful of fantastic opportunities Martins missed in horrific fashion.

Yes. If he'd scored the penalty it probably would've changed the game. We had them on the ropes and when he fluffed it for no other reason than he thought he was on the training ground heads dropped and Arsenal got a boost.

Personally I think Viduka was our best striker at the arse end of the season and the few chances he had he made more compared to the handful of fantastic opportunities Martins missed in horrific fashion.

Even now I still think "what if?" when I think of that chance Oba missed against Portsmouth a month back. 6 yards out and blazes it over.... :harry:

The alternatives were Owen, Carroll, Viduka and Shola

Not one single combination from any of them would have got us out of the shite, all have horrible mobility. Which is the last thing we needed more of.

Martins at least got the chances, the rest didn't. He was our only chance, and yes, he blew it. But had we ditched him after Arsenal we would have been relegated well before the last day

The first season he was with us he was class. Over time its gone down hill...but so has the team,  this whole "all the players must be incredibly crap as we got relegated" thing is nonsense.

Before christmas our strikeforce had a very good record despite us being so low in the table.

Its unrealistic & way to simplistic to think you can judge a players ability fairly when he's put in a side like ours, in a position like ours has been in, with all the crap thats gone on this season. A players mentality comes into things also, a large amount of pressure especially can have a big big effect on how they perform.

The pressure over how important the goals are at that point, the level of confidence a player who doesnt have many chances is going to have when he actually finally gets one, the confidence a player has in making runs because of how likely/unlikely it is that the team has the ability to supply him with the ball...you cant just say a players now crap when you dont know how much of the real player you're actually seeing.

ffs.

THE LADS TOO DAMN GOOD! HE HAS TO STAY. F*CK ALL WHO SAY HE'S s***.

Had your pic taken with him from your avatar i guess but if it had of been Amoebi you would defend him too  :undecided:

Its all about opinions but the majority of people on here now dont rate him imho and stick him in a quality team and he would hardly get used due to his general team play and effectiveness ,he cannot control a concrete block never mind a ball .

He got progressively worse season on season with us. No idea why.

it's what's known as the Newcastle effect.

Exactly, whether it's the coaching, inept managers or air of dispair around the club, players come here and die a death.

I think i'm the only person who has called him what he is all the way through - s***.

If you were calling him shit after his first season then you need your head read

I remember crossing swords with Gemmill regularly in his first season - he was saying what everyone (generally) agrees now upon in that he's erratic, stupid and wasteful. In that first season he scored a grand total of 11 league goals which is hardly earth-shattering.

So essentially Gemmill was on board the Martins-hating bus early, and I wasn't alone in trying to argue with him, but he was right all along...

I think i'm the only person who has called him what he is all the way through - s***.

If you were calling him shit after his first season then you need your head read

I remember crossing swords with Gemmill regularly in his first season - he was saying what everyone (generally) agrees now upon in that he's erratic, stupid and wasteful. In that first season he scored a grand total of 11 league goals which is hardly earth-shattering.

So essentially Gemmill was on board the Martins-hating bus early, and I wasn't alone in trying to argue with him, but he was right all along...

No he wasn't, the truth is Martins wasn't as good as some made out, and wasn't as bad as Gemmill made out. I would think he'll still get a move to a decent club somewhere and we'll get decent money for him. That hardly ties in with the assessment of shit does it?