Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Make your points by all means, but dont lie. I was well in favour of Owen being in the starting line up last season.

Checked the posts to see if i was mistaken. Yeah you clearly loved him, my bad.

Owen's an embarassment, we need rid asap, his pace is non-existent

Owen can f*** right off, absolute bollocks, relies on perfect service

Owen scores in big games when the heat is on. I think he could play a crucial role in the relegation

head to head games.

scores in big games?

look at his record in international tournaments, it's dogshite

You also slagged Given for clearly "losing his reflexes", Mort was crap & the 4-3-3 system in general wouldnt work. Along with claiming Cacapa was a class defender. Along with Rozenhal.

Shouldnt really be getting on my back about my opinion should ya, because yours is clearly so proven to be brilliant

Make your points by all means, but dont lie. I was well in favour of Owen being in the starting line up last season.

Owen scores in big games when the heat is on. I think he could play a crucial role in the relegation

head to head games.

scores in big games?

You also slagged Given for clearly "losing his reflexes", Mort was crap & the 4-3-3 system in general wouldnt work. Along with claiming Cacapa was a class defender. Along with Rozenhal.

Shouldnt really be getting on my back about my opinion should ya, because yours is clearly so proven to be brilliant

Owen has alway failed against good defences - put him in a great team and he'll still not do owt against good players

Given's reflexes are not what they once were, he's 33 ffs

Cacapa WAS class, he captained one of the very best teams in europe for 4 seasons. Rozenhal is a decent defender for me, better than Taylor and at CB Edgar anyway

Mort and Ashley didn't get the players we needed in the summer of 07 or Jan 08, which is what I was getting at

Guest Heneage

How about you keep the discussion mature?

To be fair his point is valid, but I agree with his execution lacking maturity.

Hopefully Martins stops being a baby.

About as valid as when he claimed the same last season and owen ended up saving our asses with 6 in 8. Yeah what a genius.

Massive difference, in that team we had good players around him that meant his only need was to apply a finish, he's missed a fair few sitters this year and we can't allow for passengers with just one asset we don't have the quality.

He missed a few sitters last season. Only difference in squad last season was Faye, Barton & viduka playing. Carroll can fill vidukas boots, bassong..faye's & perhaps Guthrie...Bartons. Though i agree getting Barton back is key.

We still have the players though. I fail to see how its a sound point to say lets give up on owen when we havent even had the chance to implement the system that he fit into perfectly last season. Shearer himself has said they were training with 4-3-3 so we were about to give it a go...as i say it went a bit wrong with martins going out.

Where ronaldos going wrong is his endless hate of owen, as if everything is down to him. Pretty clear that even if theres no way owen could possibly be effective in our side.....(based on nothing & pretty unlikely), its certainly not his fault but rather the way we're playing.

Mate I'm sorry but just reading Carroll filling Viduka's boots got me disagreeing with you. Viduka has a tremendous touch and football brain, a prime example of Owen benefiting from that came against Spurs with his dummy for the 3rd. Carroll doesn't have that, his strengths are flick ons which would benefit Martins pace. Bassong Faye is fine as Bassong is better in my opinion. Guthrie and Barton I don't know, Barton as a good eye for a through ball, Guthrie's passing strength lies more in his ability to pass at range, if we can get Guthrie AND Barton in time for Pompey which looks likely then we could be laughing.

head to head games.

scores in big games?

Owen has alway failed against good defences - put him in a great team and he'll still not do owt against good players

Given's reflexes are not what they once were, he's 33 ffs

Cacapa WAS class, he captained one of the very best teams in europe for 4 seasons. Rozenhal is a decent defender for me, better than Taylor and at CB Edgar anyway

Mort and Ashley didn't get the players we needed in the summer of 07 or Jan 08, which is what I was getting at

Apart from when owen won the fa cup against arsenal, or when he scored against brazil for England, or when he scored against portugal, or when he scored against argentina blah blah blah

Givens shown this season his reflexes are still class, come on.

Cacapa has been shocking since he joined us which is when you were claiming he was brilliant

didnt fully read your mort post so ill give you that one

How about you keep the discussion mature?

To be fair his point is valid, but I agree with his execution lacking maturity.

Hopefully Martins stops being a baby.

About as valid as when he claimed the same last season and owen ended up saving our asses with 6 in 8. Yeah what a genius.

Massive difference, in that team we had good players around him that meant his only need was to apply a finish, he's missed a fair few sitters this year and we can't allow for passengers with just one asset we don't have the quality.

He missed a few sitters last season. Only difference in squad last season was Faye, Barton & viduka playing. Carroll can fill vidukas boots, bassong..faye's & perhaps Guthrie...Bartons. Though i agree getting Barton back is key.

We still have the players though. I fail to see how its a sound point to say lets give up on owen when we havent even had the chance to implement the system that he fit into perfectly last season. Shearer himself has said they were training with 4-3-3 so we were about to give it a go...as i say it went a bit wrong with martins going out.

Where ronaldos going wrong is his endless hate of owen, as if everything is down to him. Pretty clear that even if theres no way owen could possibly be effective in our side.....(based on nothing & pretty unlikely), its certainly not his fault but rather the way we're playing.

Mate I'm sorry but just reading Carroll filling Viduka's boots got me disagreeing with you. Viduka has a tremendous touch and football brain, a prime example of Owen benefiting from that came against Spurs with his dummy for the 3rd. Carroll doesn't have that, his strengths are flick ons which would benefit Martins pace. Bassong Faye is fine as Bassong is better in my opinion. Guthrie and Barton I don't know, Barton as a good eye for a through ball, Guthrie's passing strength lies more in his ability to pass at range, if we can get Guthrie AND Barton in time for Pompey which looks likely then we could be laughing.

Think Carroll has the potential to be more dangerous in the air especially than viduka was end of last season...which may make up for it. Though i know he got a few headers. But he'll be high on confidence now also, big plus for us atm. We'll just have to see, have to try it before ruling it out though. Owen got a few goals last season just ghosting in from space & using his head...& he has a knack for getting onto rebounds or loose balls from that position. He also has a knack of going on a run of goals after having a run of games without scoring. Just cant see the reasoning for giving up on it...think its misplaced frustration.

point for point

Owen's record against the top 4 clubs and at international level against the more established countries is very poor, whichever way you want to spin it. And please dont try to argue with this by throwing goals from 1998-2002 at me, he's in no way, shape or form the same player.

Given has been brilliant this season, but he's comfortably past his best as a shotstopper imho.

Cacapa was brilliant when he joined us, for many he was our player of the season up until November, when his lack of strength was exposed and the confidence went with it. People are still too harsh on him though. Not that i'd have him anywhere near the first Xl

yes, thanks

Cacapa was brilliant when he joined us, for many he was our player of the season up until November, when his lack of strength was exposed and the confidence went with it. People are still too harsh on him though. Not that i'd have him anywhere near the first Xl

Really!!! Fucking hell.

At least you show you willing to change you opinion something I didn't know you did :thup:

Guest neesy111

point for point

Owen's record against the top 4 clubs and at international level against the more established countries is very poor, whichever way you want to spin it. And please dont try to argue with this by throwing goals from 1998-2002 at me, he's in no way, shape or form the same player.

Given has been brilliant this season, but he's comfortably past his best as a shotstopper imho.

yes, thanks

owen has not scored or even looked like scoring against a top 4 club while at newcastle

why we're liverpool so eager to get rid, and they are a much better team without him tbh

point for point

yes, thanks

owen has not scored or even looked like scoring against a top 4 club while at newcastle

why we're liverpool so eager to get rid, and they are a much better team without him tbh

Liverpool were so eager to get rid cos he couldn't score against the top 4? :lol:

I'm not denying his inability to do so here, but crikey mate, that's some grade A bullshit right there. Remember the cup final against Arsenal?

Guest neesy111

point for point

yes, thanks

Liverpool were so eager to get rid cos he couldn't score against the top 4? :lol:

I'm not denying his inability to do so here, but crikey mate, that's some grade A bullshit right there. Remember the cup final against Arsenal?

what has he done since then, scored a couple v argentina for england, nothing much apart from being injured all the time and then tell's the media "i'm not injury prone"

give me a break ffs

Good players can still consistently score in shit teams, Martins (who is considered shite by a proportion of people) while he has been here has scored against 3 of the top 4 in England, Owen hasn't. Look at James Beatty he's scored a lot for a shit team and he did it for Southampton as well.

Good players can still consistently score in s*** teams, Martins (who is considered s**** by a proportion of people) while he has been here has scored against 3 of the top 4 in England, Owen hasn't. Look at James Beatty he's scored a lot for a s*** team and he did it for Southampton as well.

19 goals in 52 over the last two seasons in a sh*te team isn't the worst tbh.

Guest BooBoo

Unless this is a genuine injury, Oba has treat the club and fans with contempt and shouldn't be considered for the rest of the season, until we can recoup some money back on the circus clown in the summer.

Babayaro managed to fake groin injuries for about 9 months ffs, one week isn't exactly hard to do.

He managed to fake being a footballer for considerably longer, he's a talent.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/13/shearer-s-anger-as-martins-cries-off-61634-23373439/

Shearer's anger as Martins cries off

Apr 13 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

ALAN Shearer admitted he was "unhappy" and "disappointed" with Obafemi Martins for his late withdrawal from the Newcastle team for the weekend six-pointer with Stoke, but says the Nigerian forward still has a big part to play in the relegation fight.

Newcastle’s caretaker boss will summon the striker to see him today to seek further clarification about the groin injury which led to Martins ruling himself out of the match at 11am on Saturday.

Shearer has vehemently denied suggestions that Martins slept in or was guilty of a serious disciplinary transgression, but he was clearly left frustrated by an injury that forced him into a late reshuffle of his Newcastle side.

United’s caretaker boss said there had been no sign of the injury when Martins trained on Thursday or Friday – or even when the team were given massages at the team hotel on Friday evening.

But he appeared willing to draw a line under the unfortunate incident – and will remind the Nigerian of his importance to United’s relegation fight when the pair meet this morning.

Whether Martins is now guaranteed a first-team spot is another consideration. Shearer showed in his benching of Jonás Gutiérrez and Fabricio Coloccini that he is not selecting a team based on reputation, and Andrew Carroll’s equaliser has strengthened his claims for a start at Spurs next weekend.

Much will depend on how serious the injury is, something that Shearer will seek to ascertain today after being taken by surprise on Saturday morning.

“He rang up on Saturday morning at 11 o’clock and said he’d woken up with a sore groin and was unable to play. We got the doctors and physios to go and have a look at him, and he couldn’t play,” Shearer said.

“After working the last two or three days on a particular system it was disappointing to find out so late in the day that he couldn’t make it. We had to reshuffle the pack a little bit.

“I’m not happy with the situation, to find out so late in the day.

“We have to believe him. I wasn’t too happy that I got the call at 11 o’clock, particularly after we trained all Thursday and Friday and had massages on Friday evening and there was no sign of it.

“But it’s happened and we’re hopeful it’s not going to be too serious because he’s got a big part to play.” Newcastle need all hands on deck with six games remaining and two points to make up to clamber to safety before the end of the season.

Martins clearly has a part to play, and Shearer rubbished rumours that there was anything more serious to the incident.

“He didn’t sleep in at all, that’s not true. I spoke to him this morning and asked him. I’ll speak to him again on Monday morning and we’ll have another look at it. Hopefully it’s not too serious,” he said.

“We were meeting just after 11 o’clock, to be honest, so he hasn’t broken any curfews.”

Shearer was happy with his players’ bravery – but less with the basic error which led to Stoke’s goal in the 1-1 draw. Shola Ameobi had admitted his culpability in the dressing room after the game.

“I’m asking the players to be brave, to demand the ball and show me out on the pitch what they show me in training, and they’ve done that today,” he said.

“I just thought it was right to change one or two things around and leave one or two people out. I asked the players to come in and do a job and they’ve done that. The more players we can get fit, the better chance we’ve got of survival.”

Meanwhile, Habib Beye reckons it will take 12 more points from the remaining 18 to save United.

“Hopefully this will give us a bit of momentum now because after they scored few people would have expected us to leave with anything,” he said. “Now we have six matches left, 18 points to play for and we know we can stay up.”

NEWCASTLE’S up-and-coming under-16s will be given a chance to shine at under- 18 level in the run-in to the end of the campaign.

The Magpies’ Academy coaches are taking a close look at the younger players – and handed three of them a debut in the 2-2 draw against Sheffield United at Benton on Saturday.

Ex-Liverpool goalkeeper Ben Robinson and local lad Ryan Page in midfield were given debut starts – while 16-year-old Eritrean striker Patrick Nzuzi grabbed the second Newcastle equaliser 10 minutes after coming on as a 63rd-minute substitute.

Jordan Chappell’s 44th- minute shot into the right corner from the edge of box gave the Blades the lead but Ryan Donaldson levelled on 62 minutes after a great right-wing run and cross from Michael McCrudden.

Corey Gregory fired a Connor Brown cross inside the near post six minutes later to put the visitors ahead again, but Nzuzi’s goal split the points.

my view is he bottled it, no doubt about it.

would like to see shearer handle it the right way, given that we need him atm, and keep him involved for the rest of the campaign and see how he does.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/13/shearer-set-for-martins-inquest-72703-23375453/

Shearer set for Martins inquest

Apr 13 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

ALAN SHEARER is set to meet Oba Martins today to clarify why he left it so late in the day to reveal the groin injury that kept him out of the 1-1 draw at Stoke City.

Shearer is staying cool about the situation but was mystified when Martins announced he had a groin injury just hours before the game.

And especially after Andy Carroll’s star performance, the African’s place in the last six games is now in question.

However, Shearer, who has instilled a more disciplined approach to life at the training ground, will not be taking the Nigerian’s withdrawal from the game lightly, with no evidence of the muscle injury beforehand and several days of working on a 3-4-3 system wasted because of the incident.

Shearer told the Chronicle: “Oba informed us at 11am that he wasn’t fit. That was disappointing considering we’d worked on a particular system over the past few days with no problems.

“We had to reshuffle the pack.”

Shearer, though, denied that Martins had overslept and missed a team meeting. He added: “I’m not happy with the situation and I’m not happy to find out so late in the day.

“He didn’t sleep in at all, that’s not true.

“I spoke to him on Saturday morning and asked him. I’ll speak to him again today and we’ll have another look at it.”

Shearer, however, was delighted with his 3-5-2 formation that nullified James Beattie and Ricardo Fuller.

He added: “We haven’t got a left-back without Jose Enrique. That’s one of the reasons. I know Damien could have played there, and he did a great job in the wing-back position there.

“We just felt that with the strength Stoke had with Beattie and Fuller, we’d put the three lads in there, and I think it worked very well.

“It might be a different system we go with next Sunday at Spurs.

“For this particular occasion I felt it was right to leave one or two out and bring others in, and the lads who came in did a fantastic job.”