Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Guest neesy111

he's been getting far too many groin injury's for my liking, and as someone said, it took him two months to recover from the same operation that it took shearer and bellamy 10 days to recover from

something is not right, and we don't need player's like him bottling the future of this club

tbf, he's not as good as ppl think and won't ever improve as a player, because he hasn't since he was 19-20 at inter

Imagine the grief Owen would get if he had done this.

It's not like Martins hasn't got grief over this.

What I was alluding to mainly was the fact that his injury record has been canny bad over the last two years or so, yet Owen is the one who seems to always get a shed load of stick for his. When Oba's is probably something pretty similar.

Imagine the grief Owen would get if he had done this.

It's not like Martins hasn't got grief over this.

What I was alluding to mainly was the fact that his injury record has been canny bad over the last two years or so, yet Owen is the one who seems to always get a shed load of stick for his. When Oba's is probably something pretty similar.

Martins has played 98 games in the last 3 seasons, Owen has played 72 in his Newcastle career.

Over the last two seasons it is.

Owen has played  58 (scored 23)

Martins has played 52 (scored 17)

I'm not having a go at Martins, I just think both (or neither) should be called injury prone.

I'm not having a go at Martins, I just think both (or neither) should be called injury prone.

yes but the 'last 2 seasons' represents a somewhat window dressing approach to Owen's record, doesn't it mate

yes but the 'last 2 seasons' represents a somewhat window dressing approach to Owen's record, doesn't it mate

Yeah.

Proves he's a better goalscorer as well, doesn't it mate.

While only mentioning the last 12 games just to suit your own arguments is perfectly acceptable. :lol:

While only mentioning the last 12 games just to suit your own arguments is perfectly acceptable. :lol:

Exactly.

13 games, and in that instance I was refering to FORM

which is somewhat important, you know when you have 6 games left to save your status in the premiership

yes, unquestionably, and if you extend in to 9 years it proves Ameobi's a better goalscorer.

or if you extend it to 3, the Martins - Owen arguement looks somewhat redundant

Between 1997 and 2000, was someone like Dion Dublin better than Alan Shearer just because 1997/8 for Shearer was basically a write-off due to injury, while Dublin consistently got 15-20 a season for Villa & Coventry?

yes, unquestionably, and if you extend in to 9 years it proves Ameobi's a better goalscorer.

Between 1997 and 2000, was someone like Dion Dublin better than Alan Shearer just because 1997/8 for Shearer was basically a write-off due to injury, while Dublin consistently got 15-20 a season for Villa & Coventry?

my orignal post was referring to the injury records of both Owen and Martins, which are not comparable at all. Maybe you missed the point

During their Newcastle career, according to soccerbase:

Michael Owen: 62 apps, 32 goals.

Obafemi Martins: 85 apps, 34 goals.

Shola Ameobi: 149 apps, 50 goals.

Anyone else need more conviction over who's been our most dangerous forward since Shearer goal-wise?

my orignal post was referring to the injury records of both Owen and Martins, which are not comparable at all. Maybe you missed the point

This season though, it is. In fact, Martins' has been worse...which is somewhat important, you know, when you have 6 games left to save your status in the Premiership.

This season though, it is. In fact, Martins' has been worse...which is somewhat important, you know, when you have 6 games left to save your status in the Premiership.

If he's fit, he starts as far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue that some are trying to make into one.

With Owen, for me there is genuine worry that his presence in the starting 11 will take us down. There has been nothing in his last few games to suggest he'll help keep us up

Ronaldo and Optimistic Nut are reaching NE5 esque levels when it comes to Obafemi Martins and Michael Owen.

Baba, honest opinion. If Shola had gone and declared himself to Nigeria, what would you have thought? :lol:

If he's fit, he starts as far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue that some are trying to make into one.

With Owen, for me there is genuine worry that his presence in the starting 11 will take us down. There has been nothing in his last few games to suggest he'll help keep us up

Last day of the season against Villa, last kick of the game and one of our strikers* is one on one with their 'keeper. They score we win the game and stay up, we draw we go down. Who would you have taking the shot?

*Nile Ranger not included