Obafemi Martins

Wullie

If only Martins could finish a chance as well as he can finish a drink down the quayside.

Since when does Martins visit the quayside?

He lives on the Quayside doesn't he?

Always had the greatest admiration for the guy, but i think it's pretty clear that he's done all he 'can' (or was ever going to bother to do) at this club.

I will miss him like. :(

Never looked like a £10m striker and won't miss him at all tbh. He's had the odd flash of brilliance and scored some important goals but never really did it.

Running about like a headless chicken doesn't warrant £70,000 a week imo.  :undecided:

Never improved his game whilst here - infact he has got worse.

You can count on one hand the number of players who that hasn't applied to in the last few years to be fair to him. This relegation is the culmination of a shitload of mostly expensive players being crap.

Regardless of how well he did for us, it will hurt seeing him playing for someone else, especially if its an english club. Wish him all the best though, one of the few exiting players i will look out for in the future.

Regardless of how well he did for us, it will hurt seeing him playing for someone else, especially if its an english club. Wish him all the best though, one of the few exiting players i will look out for in the future.

Will be glad to see the back of him(among several others), and will laugh when he exasperates the followers of his new 'English Club'(IF there is a decent one daft enough to take him for more than 4m..!) as much as he exasperated most SENSIBLE followers of Newcastle United...as big a waste of money as Coloccini, Xisco, Owen etc etc.

I guess that depends if he goes to a club with a quality manager and set of coaches that can knock some intelligence into him. I know where you coming from, we wont be losing out greatly with him gone, but he is with alot of players that have gone backwards and will never improve here.

I think a big waste of money is a bit far fetched. His goal return wasnt really that shabby and we might have already been in the championship without his goals under a limp Roeder team (whether that means much now I dont know!), i'd not return the memories of his goals at Bolton/Blackburn away or especially Spurs amongst others for anything.

There's a great player in Martins, you'd be blind if you couldn't see it.  If he had a half-decent squad around him he would've done wonderful here (like most of our other players).  He is 100% a confidence player (as are most strikers but Martins in particular).  He was flying high when he was here playing in European ties, in the top ten, etc, but when the team started to do shitty, so did he.  He lost all confidence and never really got it back due to multiple circumstances.

I for one will wish him well because I know he'll go to a good team and come good.  :clap:  Thanks for having a bit of flair in a team that had none.

There's a great player in Martins, you'd be blind if you couldn't see it. If he had a half-decent squad around him he would've done wonderful here (like most of our other players). He is 100% a confidence player (as are most strikers but Martins in particular). He was flying high when he was here playing in European ties, in the top ten, etc, but when the team started to do shitty, so did he. He lost all confidence and never really got it back due to multiple circumstances.

I for one will wish him well because I know he'll go to a good team and come good. :clap: Thanks for having a bit of flair in a team that had none.

You missed congratulating him for missing enough sitters in the run in to have kept us up. He was awesome pulling out of the Stoke game 4hrs before KO. this after Shearer had worked on a system all week in training.

Lots of potential in there but absolutely no bottle. Needs to grow up/grow a pair.

He'll never succeed in a top league if he remains as flaky as he is right now.

I have mixed feelings about his time here. He was an absolute legend when we were flying "high" in relative terms, i.e. parts of 2006-2007, the 4-3-3 etc. But he's been an absolute disgrace for the last few matches apart from Boro and basically sent us down with the boxload sitters he missed.

Can't decide if I want to say "good luck" or "good riddance" with him. I think I'll continue to be unsure about how I feel untill I actually see him suiting up for another team.

Never understood how someone who was generally so ineffective, often disinterested and ultimately part of a relegation team got so much fan adulation. In recent years we've had players who took us into Europe and were openly hated. ???

Good riddance.

Never understood how someone who was generally so ineffective, often disinterested and ultimately part of a relegation team got so much fan adulation. In recent years we've had players who took us into Europe and were openly hated. ???

Good riddance.

This is what I don't get as well.

Good riddance.

This is what I don't get as well.

Simple, over the last 3 seasons, the only good times i can remember came through Martins. The best goals, the best matches, the best bits of skill, the best celebrations. In these dark times at the football club Martins, is a breath of fresh air, someone people look forward to seeing. People will debate his ability all year long but you'd have to be blind to see it's not there. Apart from Jonas, Martins is the only player who had the ability this season to get the ball and beat some players with great bits of skill and quick feet. Nobody complained when he was banging them in at christmas tbh and through no fault of his own his momentum has gone this season, until he got injured his scoring record was 1 in 2 with 6 in 12. It's no coincidence that when there was a lot less pressure, he put more chances away.

I personally find it staggering that a player who has actually given us some joy and excitement over the past few seasons, albeit not on a consistent basis (which hasn't always been his own fault) can be slated so much. He deserves more then he gets off some people, he isn't a world class player but that doesn't mean he's not a good one. He may not have the best mental strength with his confidence greatly affected, but in case you haven't noticed every single player in our squad has had the same issue all season, yet there's barely another thread in sight on any other player. Oba like Owen was treated to being part of the cream of the crop at Inter, and he obviously wasn't prepared mentally to cope with the relegation pressure on him at times, but then the solution is simple, put him in a team where that pressure wouldn't be there and i bet he'd score double figures every season.

You could say the same for Owen though (our top scorer in all competitions).

For me the best players this campaign were those who looked like they cared: Enrique, Jonas (more so earlier on), Bassong, Taylor and Beye.

I wouldn't include Martins in that group.

For me the best players this campaign were those who looked like they cared: Enrique, Jonas (more so earlier on), Bassong, Taylor and Beye.

I agree that Martins hasn't been the best player this season but he's pretty much played half of his campaign injured, and there has to be respect given for the fact that he actually carried on. You say he looked like he didn't care and i would agree with you in that he didn't appear to but does it not seem plausible that perhaps he was under instructions from his manager to not waste energy on pointless harrying considering he was carrying an injury that needs an operation? could it be that Shearer told him to save his energy to make a run or save it for when the opportunity in front of goal actually arose?

I agree that Martins hasn't been the best player this season but he's pretty much played half of his campaign injured, and there has to be respect given for the fact that he actually carried on. You say he looked like he didn't care and i would agree with you in that he didn't appear to but does it not seem plausible that perhaps he was under instructions from his manager to not waste energy on pointless harrying considering he was carrying an injury that needs an operation? could it be that Shearer told him to save his energy to make a run or save it for when the opportunity in front of goal actually arose?

I have to say fair play to him for playing through and injury and maybe Shearer did tell him to conserve injury, but for me he hasn't been in that top bracket I mentioned.  He was obviously a good player for us but I doubt I'll shed a tear when I read on BBC: 'Martins leaves Newcastle.'

Guest toonlass

Going to Fiorentina for £8 million if the mirror is to be believed

Needs surgery according to the chronicle.

Don't know were that leaves us in terms of a possible transfer.

That was blindingly obvious to anyone who watched our last 6 games. But its surgery on his groin, should be simple and he should be fit again well before the start of next season. Shouldn't make a huge amount of difference to any interested team.