Obafemi Martins

Wullie

You're right it may be premature and if he stays lets hope he shakes off the tag. 

But for now, following on from last season he seems to be injury prone - not Darren Anderton level obviously.

Time will tell...

I'm trying to be as objective in my appraisal of Martins as possible.

Are we really giving the lad no credit whatsoever to playing with a injury for the good of the team?

This.

He's worth holding on too next season

Guest neesy111

Are we really giving the lad no credit whatsoever to playing with a injury for the good of the team?

This.

not on 85k a week he's not

This.

Where are you getting this? Some people here act as if they are on the fucking board. Give it a rest.

This.

Where are you getting this? Some people here act as if they are on the f***ing board. Give it a rest.

All reports point to him being on 60k + even more.  What do you reckon he's on then? If not that high?

This.

Where are you getting this? Some people here act as if they are on the f***ing board. Give it a rest.

All reports point to him being on 60k + even more.  What do you reckon he's on then? If not that high?

I'm saying I don't want to judge him based on his wage because I don't know how much he earns. All footballers are overpaid. It's practically irrelevant imo.

This.

If you believe the press they'll tell you that everyone at the club from the tea lady upwards is earning £60k per week.

This.

If you believe the press they'll tell you that everyone at the club from the tea lady upwards is earning £60k per week.

Again then, as I said before, if he's not on 60k+ then what is he on?

Guest neesy111

This.

Again then, as I said before, if he's not on 60k+ then what is he on?

85k i was told that when he signed

the main reason he came was for the stupid wages he would be earning

From that most reliable source (but still worth reproducing as it provides some idea):

Then Obafemi Martins arrived 20 minutes late, which would have earned him a hefty fine under manager Alan Shearer - except for the fact there was no Shearer around to administer the punishment because he remains in limbo while takeover talks continue.

Relegation has made no difference to Martins.

In fact he is better off, having got himself a pay rise.

Under the terms of the Nigerian striker's contract, his wages have just gone up nearly 10 per cent from £60,000 to £65,000 a week.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2511697/Farce-as-flops-return.html

Martins is a crock of shit and if we can get any sort of fee for him we should get rid asap.

Plenty of "fans" on this site used to say the same about Jenas and Dyer, luckily they weren't in charge of transfers otherwise the club would be £16million poorer today.

Martins is a crock of s*** and if we can get any sort of fee for him we should get rid asap.

Funny, you said that Owen did very well getting 7 goals (from open play) in 28 games

Martins managed 8 in 24? Yet he's a 'crock of s****'?? :lol:

Martins is a crock of s*** and if we can get any sort of fee for him we should get rid asap.

Funny, you said that Owen did very well getting 7 goals (from open play) in 28 games

Martins managed 8 in 24? Yet he's a 'crock of s****'?? :lol:

Martins spends most of his time running around after the ball trying to get it under control due to his inability to control a simple pass.

I have also yet to see this supposed blistering pace having seen him outpaced on countless occasions by opposition defenders.

Scores the odd raker now and again but is other wise a very poor footballer.

Martins has 7 goals from 19 appearances this year:

Man Utd (a) - header from a corner

West Brom (h) - header from a cross

Aston Villa (h) - shot along the floor from the edge of the box

Aston Villa (h) - tap-in from a cross

Wigan (h) - upstoppable smash into the top corner

Portsmouth (a) - simple pass into goal from eight yards

Arsenal (h) - controlled volley into the corner of the goal after gifted the ball

Now I'm not going to say Martins isn't out of form, nor am I going to say he was any good on Saturday. But this cliché about him only ever smashing in spectacular strikes every now and then is starting to get really boring.

Out of date but I'll still post it every time someone says he only scores wonder goals etc. It's simply not true.

Oh, and this isn't me saying he's a good footballer. I don't particularly care either way what happens to him this summer.

Michael Owen didn't get any decent service while he was here and so looked invisible the majority of the time as he was not capable of impacting a game in any other way other than scoring goals. Altogether made him look a much worse player.

Martins didn't get any decent service while he was here and so for the majority of the time pressed the issue way too much and lacked confidence. Altogether made him look a much worse player.

It's really that simple.

If I was a team who could provide the service I would personally roll with Martins though. When the confidence and self belief is there he is a major threat in numerous ways.

An Owen thread and an Oba thread both going on about Owen vs Oba when there is an actual Owen vs Oba thread.

crazy shit lads,, sort it out..

Oba's great Owen's gone.. all we need to know.

if I had to lean one way i'd predict that he wont be here come september 1st. But it's far from nailed on, and I actually think he'd be happy to stay

So do I, where else would he get almost 70k a week?