Newcastle United 1 - 5 Manchester United - 23/2/08 - post match from page 26

James

To be fair, Manchester United did just as well against us when we finished 3rd under Sir Bobby.

no they did not

Ok, we scored a few more goals, but we still conceded the same.

we didn't concede 11 against them in the space of 6 weeks

Positives

* Very Good first 20 minutes

* Duff playing his best in a while

* Carroll looks good enough to be floating around the first team now. Then again, that probably says more about our first team than it does about Carroll

* WE SCORED AGAINST MAN UNITED OMFG!!!!

Negatives

* Dear God.

Dont you know? ManU do this to EVERYONE??? !!!! !!!!

1-5 and 0-6 ? ? ? ?

No, they f*****g DO NOT

Our players arent s***, its just ManU are amazing. Ignore the fact that Butt, Barton, Milner, Smith, give the ball away like its a f****** charity match for poverty stricken kids with no limbs and every misplaced pass raises more money for them. Its not them, its ManU, dont you know?? !!

They don't beat everyone 6-0 at home and 5-1 away though. Only us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Sarcasm ? If so, it's the worst I've seen attempted.

To be fair, Manchester United did just as well against us when we finished 3rd under Sir Bobby.

no they did not

The performances were very different I seem to remember. We of course got murdered 2-6 at home when Shearer gave us the lead but we weren't that bad in the 3-5 at Old Trafford. This season we've been the pits and that's putting it mildly.

1-5 and 0-6 ? ? ? ?

No, they f*****g DO NOT

Our players arent s***, its just ManU are amazing. Ignore the fact that Butt, Barton, Milner, Smith, give the ball away like its a f****** charity match for poverty stricken kids with no limbs and every misplaced pass raises more money for them. Its not them, its ManU, dont you know?? !!

They don't beat everyone 6-0 at home and 5-1 away though. Only us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Sarcasm ? If so, it's the worst I've seen attempted.

No, it was actually quite obvious.

It's not that we lost to Man U. It's just that the performance showed the same flaws that have been obvious over the last few games, regardless of the opposition. Man U didn't break sweat.

There's a lot that can be said. To pick one, I don't think Smith and Owen as a combination will get us goals. Smith does a good job as a target man but doesn't get on the end of chances. Owen gets on the end of the odd chance, but isn't that sharp any more and contributes nothing else.

I'd put Smith in the anchor role instead of Butt. Viduka, Carroll or Shola as target man, and Duff or Martins playing off them.

Guest jcricthon

We are rubbish. We can't pass (Butt is by far the worst offender and I can't see why he still makes the squad). The players don't seem to know what everyone else is going to do, where they are going to run, where they want to ball played etc. We don't attack as a team, one player just surges forward and then everyone else trys to run up to catch them and to make matters worse if we get anywhere near theres max. 1 player in the box. We can't defend as aunit, and our defenders have been woeful as individuals. Duff isn't quick enough or skillful to play on our wing which is in stack contrast to Milner who was fabulous today and got subbed (Todays performance by Milner cements my claims made in the 'James Milner' thread!!!!!). He put an amazing ball in in the first 5 mins and no-one was in there, if he had put that ball in for any other team they would have scored! Barton and Butt are a poor midfield pair, we have to play emre and Geremi as they both keep the ball and have that touchof class. Geremi has been poor but that was under Allerdyce, we cannot deny his class, awareness and touch! Smith should not make the squad any longer, Carroll was impressive but Martins NEEDS to play! Given should lose his place to Harper who seems to be able to organise and communicate with the team much better than Given who seems far too shakey far too often. We desperately need a new left back and centre back as Taylor is still too young and inexperienced to be relyed upon every week though I'm sure he will get alot better.

In conclusion, yes Man Utd were/are very good, but we shouldn't give them the chance to be good, this is where we are so utterly bad! We are too easily cut open, we give the ball away far too much, we aren't patient enough on the ball and subsequently lose it 90% of the time we are in posession.

Its a desperate day and I'm desperately depressed after that. I just hope we stay up because the fixture I'm looking forward to next is the first pre-season friendly of next season. Roll on the Summer!

im pretty much convinced we are going down now

I can see us losing the next 2 games though maybe we might scrape a point against Blackburn. 29 points won't be enough so we HAVE to beat Fulham, Reading and the mackems (deliberate lower case). If not we might be playing Doncaster Rovers and Carlisle next season.

no they did not

Except that the performances then were wayyyyyyy different to the performances now.

Don't dare compare SBR's team to the 'team' that we've seen for the past 6 months. Even against Man Utd SBR's team put up a good fight. Hell, I seem to recall us actually winning!

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

i've always tried to be somewhat moderate and not kneejerk.  however if butt and smith continue to start games for us, i will have no choice but to purchase a one way ticket to newcastle, then the nailgun i mentioned at half time, and i will put 20 of them in KK's head before i do it to myself.

when i kneejerk, i prefer to go all the way

playing well today: first and foremost habib beye.  also owen, duff, steve harper, andy carroll

s****: butt, taylor, and smith through and through, barton mostly, and horrible horrible shambolic moments from faye, and zogz

special recognition to Kevin Keegan for horrific selections

and were punished very soundly by a squad with mountains more class.

Disagree:

Habib Beye was poor, couldnt handle Ronaldo. Its easy to say many players cant, but Beye has been dodgey all season with regards to giving his winger too much space on the flank and hence relying on the recovery tackle. Petrov murdered him earlier on in the season, Ronaldo just had an easy ride. Beye is a good defender all round, but this is a major flaw in his game, you just cant give top wingers that sort of room to attack.

Owen - f*** all. Too slow now to be effective at this level. He used to be a top forward, hes now mediocre when hes not scoring, and hes hard to set up because he lacks the pace to trouble defenders.

Duff - at least he can run with a bit of pace, has decent technique, and doesnt loose the ball easily. But hes a feeble, wimp of a player now - if hes through down the wing, his pace seems to evaporate and he produces a s*** cross, if he has a chance to score his shooting is weak. Decent overall, but its pathetic how some people still consider him a good player. Average at best.

Harper - conceded 5. Could have done better on some of the goals, so I wouldnt say he played well.

Caroll - did nothing except win a corner by barging a player over and heading the ball into the ground.

Repeating a behaviour and expecting a different outcome is the definition of stupidity. Or insanity. Take your pick. Keegan, please stop playing Alan Smith. Please. For the love of god. Please. For me. I'm dying here.

Spot on. It isn't hard to predict the outcome of a game with a team like this. Same shit every week, it has to stop. Why would Smith do today what he hasn't done all season? Same goes for half the team.

Man utd have what we lack, they have pace in their team. I say get Kezeng LuaLua on the field again, and get smith as long of the pitch he can get. Fly him back to leeds or something, and take Viduka with him.  We have bought talented players since this summer, let them have a go. They cant be worse then Smith can they? Then they are not talented. Were do smith play on the pitch?-He isnt a striker, midfielder, defender or a goalie, is he even a footballer?  :kasper:

Phew thank god we didn't get embarrassed again, could of been a nasty scoreline.

So are we better under KK?

We certainly seem to start better, play better football but have become even worse at the back than usual.

Most of the blame lie firmly at the ANC taking away our two best defenders, but because of the pressure building it simply will not correct itself this season.

Those who think were not in a relegation battle are stupid, its there, its really real and were in it. Although we've had a few tough games, we've dropped 4 home pts which needed to be in the bag, and on top of that still have some fuking hard games to come.

Its not looking good, we should thank our lucky stars Fulham & Derby have booked two spots and were fighting to stay away from one team or one place, if it was an even table, i'd be quite frightened we'd go down. As it is we've got 6pts cushion, lets hope we still have it by the end of the season, but i cannot see why we should improve, if anything, i can see it getting worse, were there for the taking, were soft and easily beaten and teams will take advantage.

On a positive note i've just had a fuking cracking lamb madras, the kind of lamb that melts in your mouth, no fat, superb.

I'm sorry but even with Allardyce we would of done better but since this is Keegan, people will give a lot of time.

It's making me sick, what makes you think he's gonna do better next season?

5-1 loss at home is fucking sickening.

Taylor, Butt, Barton, Smith please for the love of god, FUCK OFF!

N'Zogbia (or more specifically Keegan for playing him at LB) and Faye sort yourselves out.

Owen did aswell as he could, beye likewise.

Givens kicking was girl like but I suppose we can forget its like that everyweek now and blame it on his groin.

Milner and especially Duff played well and were one of the few positives.

Powderpuff defence blew us the game again, albeit it was never a game we thought we could get much out of.

no they did not

we didn't concede 11 against them in the space of 6 weeks

Because the extra 12 weeks makes a huge difference :rolleyes:

We could say thats worse in fact, as we had the extra time to sort out the defensive unit.

We were quite positive going forward imo but we don't have the defence to support it - Manure simply ripped through us on the counter-attack. Still, we got a goal and created a few good, legitimate chances. Milner and Duff were both standouts for me; Barton, Taylor and Faye were all awful.

Still, the doommonging going on is unbelievable. The likes of Reading, Birmingham and Fulham are nowhere near as clinical or defensively astute as Man Utd and so why people suddenly feel that we are going down after almost inevitably losing completely astounds me.