With Owen's contract running out..

Unbelievable
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If I'm not mistaken Michael Owen's contract will run out at the end of next season. In essence he is still a very good player, but there is no denying he hasn't provided us with a good return of investment so far (be it lately or over the whole of his time with us). Personally I think I would only consider renewing his contract if he is prepared to take a (massive) pay cut (seeing as he will not get a similar deal elsewhere to the one he currently has here). I also think we need to offer this deal before the summer, so that if he doesn't take it we can start looking for a replacement and see if we can shift him on in the summer. Curious what other Newcastle fans think about this..

I'd renew his contract, but he's got to reduce his wages to below the £50k mark.  He is not a £110k a week player, nor can he stay fit long enough through out a season to give you a decent amount of starts.

If he won't accept a £50k a week deal, he can do one.

Played his longest run of games for the club and scored 2 in the last 3 games.

I reckon he can finish the season with 15 goals if he stays fit, which would be no mean feat considering injuries.

At least, that should be his target.

If he does, I'd renew.

I reckon he can finish the season with 15 goals if he stays fit, which would be no mean feat considering injuries.

If he does, I'd renew.

You reckon he can hit nine goals in eleven games? For us? ???

If he does, I'd renew.

:snod:

I'm not bothered.

Not the best of strikers anymore, we won't recoup much money for him and we're paying him a shitload in wages anyway.

I'd renew but with a shorter deal and only if he accepts a severe paycut. I'd actually prefer a lucrative pay-as-you-play deal with substantial bonuses for scoring/assisting because at least that way we're not guaranteeing him anything, and actually creating incentives for him to play and score.

If he does, I'd renew.

Owen could easily hit nine goals in eleven games, but our team isn't good enough to supply him with the chances to do it.

Get real lads, KK will never sell Owen, he will try his hardest to get Owen to resign and when he eventually decides to rape us of 100k plus a week for another few years, KK will announce it like it is the amazing news us concerned fans wanted to hear about our beloved Michael Owen, i mean fuck how good he is, hes a big name and we need him. Infact KK said just a couple of weeks ago that Owen was weeks from resigning.

I would try and sell him in the summer, if not then theres no choice but to keep him and try and encourage him to do better. If he does then offer a new contract but less than what he's on with the bulk of his contract depending on appearances and goals.

Guest rebel_yell12

Re-sign him, see if he does the business.  If not at least his contract is worth more when sold if it's been extended than if it has only one year left (ask Liverpool about it).  As for a wage cut -- why should he take one?  Because he's not been fit?  That's the nature of football, some gambling involved (I'm arguing from Owen's agent's POV here for a bit).  Because he doesn't "deserve" to be paid more than other players on the squad? (who decides that, btw?)  Other Premiership players are paid even more -- especially those with international and club records anywhere near Owen's, and he's still only just turned 28.  Newcastle can afford him (being one of the richest clubs).  Since Ashley hasn't said there's limited funds, why assume Owen's wages are problematic?  

If he stays fit to the end of the season, there will be clubs willing to buy, I think -- likely not the Big Four (though, maybe Liverpool with a new manager?) but maybe a club higher up the table than Newcastle.  Hell, Everton has been interested in the past according to rumour, and Blackburn could be interested, maybe ManCity if his fitness is proven -- all clubs that would take him back to the NW and up the table, and might even afford his wages.  Hell, there's always West Ham, who are doing rather well with some of Newcastle's cast-offs.  Those clubs (except West Ham, maybe) are looking to Europe, and Owen has been long proven in international competitions, both for club and country.  Plus, he's marketable as f***.  Liverpool STILL sells kits with Owen's name on it (especially abroad), 3 1/2 years after he left and with all the crap surrounding his departure.  Michael Owen makes money for clubs and sponsors just by being Michael Owen -- whether or not you think that's reasonable, it seems to be a fact of modern football that such occurs.

Of course, if Owen is sold, Newcastle will then have to replace one of their three competent strikers (leaving a 33 yr old Viduka with Martins).  Who would come to Newcastle as is?  Anyone decent would demand huge wages for the risk of playing in a squad as sh*** as this one is currently.  What's the point then of moving Owen on, if his replacement has to be nearly as well-paid as Owen (and likely not be near as proven)?  And considering recent transfer fees, it might be no better business (probably worse) than keeping Owen.