Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

To be honest, and maybe this is a bit hypocritical because I like KK and trust him etc. but I think Terry Mac serves a useful role under him which he perhaps hasn't done under previous managers where he at least seemed to be a hanger on. He might not be a coach or anything but Keegan seems to use him as a sounding board and so on and values his opinion.

Couldn't he do that over the phone, MSN, etc? ;)

Not really.

It was in jest, i know nothing about his role at the club. Just joking.

Know nowt about this lad, bar what I've seen on YouTube in the past few days, but he's the sort of player who I would assume would excite the general public here if he came, myself included, even simply because he'd be known as a "highly rated young striker, the next Drogba" and because we'd shelled out a lot of cash for him. I think the same could have been said for Modric, unfortunately. Younger players like this tend to get a lot more leniency from the crowd, especially in the early days, and could be another beneficial aspect of going for them.

Unlike players like Duff, Butt, Parker, etc. who come with big reputations from big clubs and have a lot of pressure on their shoulders from day one, Gomis would be an unknown quantity who would hopefully win the fans over quickly if he adapted well and showed some bright sparks in his play. Much like Robert did under Robson and Martins has done more recently (I know Martins was hardly unheard of to most on here, but I bet a lot of fans didn't really know a thing about him).

I'd rather we took gambles on players like him to try and do something different than go for the likes of Saha, Ashton or Bent, to be honest. Might not be the most sensible policy 100% of the time, but it's a lot more exciting.

Another thing as well: if the speculation/prices are true on Gomis, then it would appear to bode well for our transfer budget this summer, as I'd assume that even if we had signed Modric for £20M then we'd still be in for a striker as well. The rumoured interest in Veloso has continued as well, alongside this.

Maybe we will spend a lot of money between now and September, if we can get the players we bid for, of course.

Good of Rich to associate with the proles once in a while too ;)

Heh. I just base it on the older blokes in my family more than anything. A lot of them are what I would call "divs" when it comes to football.

I'm from Wallsend man, I've been associating with the proles my entire life :laugh:

Guest NorthernSoul

I have to say, he looks very impressive in the clips I've seen of him (looks more like Adebayor rather than Drogba). Granted, these are only his best moments, doesn;t give a clue as to how wasteful he may be?

However, £10m+ is a big gamble to take! And if indeed he is 'the next Drogba' why aren't any of the big four looking at this guy???

I have to say, he looks very impressive in the clips I've seen of him (looks more like Adebayor rather than Drogba). Granted, these are only his best moments, doesn;t give a clue as to how wasteful he may be?

However, £10m+ is a big gamble to take! And if indeed he is 'the next Drogba' why aren't any of the big four looking at this guy???

Jheez man - don't tempt fate!

Jheez man - don't tempt fate!

I'd say possibly because they can afford to wait a season to see how he adapts then make a move, whats another £10-£15m to Chelsea or ManU?

To be honest, and maybe this is a bit hypocritical because I like KK and trust him etc. but I think Terry Mac serves a useful role under him which he perhaps hasn't done under previous managers where he at least seemed to be a hanger on. He might not be a coach or anything but Keegan seems to use him as a sounding board and so on and values his opinion.

Mikeyyyyy (8) Black and Golddddddddd (8) says: r u back from paris kevin? lol

Terry Mac!!! has been added to the conversation

King Kevin says: He was shite

Terry Mac!!! says: He was shite aye!

King Kevin says:Mike, give us 20m for Ashton

Terry Mac!!! says: Aye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikeyyyyy (8) Black and Goldddddddddddd (8) has left the conversation.

Terry Mac!!! says: Haha!

We can't have it both ways.  If we look at players that are good enough to be wanted by the big four, then we wouldn't have any chance of signing them.  Either you accept that right now he isn't quite good enough for them or you give up on signing them.

The big four can't sign every player in europe. No-one went after alves at boro, he's looking good now, six in nine. I'd rather buy a berbatov for 10m than wait until someone else buys him then have to shell out 30m. Some people will say that's a more ambitious approach though, bizarrely. i know nowt about this lad but not taking a risk for the sake of paying more is a recipe for failure more often than not.

Don`t know why Terry Mac was part of the `delegation`.....to crack the jokes on the plane journey there?

-----------------------

Keegan & Co head for France as Newcastle look to bring in striker Gomis

A three-man delegation from Newcastle United watched St Etienne's highly-rated striker Bafetimbi Gomis in action on Saturday night.

Manager Kevin Keegan, along with assistant Terry McDermott and director of football Dennis Wise were flown into Paris in order to give the forward the once-over during PSG's relegation struggle against their UEFA Cup-chasing visitors.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=566125&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

Because he's Assistant Manager and knows a lot about football having been in the game all his life?

Can't understand why people knock him so much.

So, you rate him?

What are you rating him on? His coaching skills? You've been coached by him so you know?

What a shite, mate! I bet you wouldn't want SA to be your manager (despite he never managed you)?!? People like you had a go at me for every Allardyce criticsm when it all started. With the same "how can you know" bullshit...

Love the way these numbers are thrown around on here. What are you even using to calculate the price of a player who you've seen a few videos of on youtube?!

Fair enough suggesting players, but to say 'x' will cost 'y' quid is just plain stupid. Perhaps i'm the only one annoyed by it.

I do hear cunts get annoyed at unimportant stuff like.

Mikeyyyyy (8) Black and Golddddddddd (8) says: r u back from paris kevin? lol

Terry Mac!!! has been added to the conversation

King Kevin says: He was shite

Terry Mac!!! says: He was shite aye!

King Kevin says:Mike, give us 20m for Ashton

Terry Mac!!! says: Aye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikeyyyyy (8) Black and Goldddddddddddd (8) has left the conversation.

Terry Mac!!! says: Haha!

;D

The big four can't sign every player in europe. No-one went after alves at boro, he's looking good now, six in nine. I'd rather buy a berbatov for 10m than wait until someone else buys him then have to shell out 30m. Some people will say that's a more ambitious approach though, bizarrely. i know nowt about this lad but not taking a risk for the sake of paying more is a recipe for failure more often than not.

Well said.

it would be amazing if we signed Gomis for big money(or any money at all!). It was only few years ago when he came on the scences he looked like a poor man's shola ameobi. :lol:

but credit to him, has improved a lot.

Well said.

This  :thup:

Also add, that whenever a big club gets involved in a transfer with a player from a relative attractive league, like France, there's always gonna be som "hype" about it. I've never heard of Gomis before I read that we were interested in him. This though, has apperently increased his value to, what?, £17 mill. Which I think is just because of all the hype. Looking at it this way, getting our scouting system up and going will eventually we enable us to find "the next Drogba", or " hot prospect", or whatever before everyone else get to know. This is what Wenger do, he bought Toure for.. £500K?

imp we are still just in the very beginning of making this happen, so I expect it to take sometime. Also, this being silly season, we will be linked with almost everything with the word football/soccer.

it would be amazing if we signed Gomis for big money(or any money at all!). It was only few years ago when he came on the scences he looked like a poor man's shola ameobi. :lol:

but credit to him, has improved a lot.

can see the comparison like, he does seem to fall over when he shoots

Never seen him play, but part of me wants us to sign him just as a signal of intent.  Get someone in now, and it shows we want to move quickly and aren't pissing about, like we have done in the past.  It might settle a few nerves for some on here.  I agree with Wullie's point too.  Its worth taking a risk in the hope that he'll be good/come good for around the £10-12m mark, rather than go in for someone that might be proven, but will cost far more.

That's the point in the club pushing for us to sign players like this, because some of these players wouldn't go anywhere near us if they were further along in their development, get in there and sign them up early and we've not only got someone who will improve the team now but also someone at the age where they keep getting better.

Guest mobiius

if the wickipedia wrrite up is true and we have had a bid accepted then we should go for  Pascal Feindouno who is his team mate and a player that understands gomis. we could do a straight swap for smith tbf. Feindouno has a scoring rate of 1 in 3 and a couple of big teams have been interested in him.i just looked him up on google and there is a few bits and peices of him in action he looks like obafemi in midfield,the lad is certainly not scared to have a shot. (i won't be posting any links a case of once bitten and all that)