Newcastle win Northumberland Senior Cup. Woohoo!

Skirge

• 2 weeks later...

Fab Finish For Italian Starlet

NEWCASTLE UNITED U18s 1

MANCHESTER UNITED U18s 1

Premier Academy League

Little Benton

Saturday, April 12, 2008

ITALIAN teenager Fabio Zamblera was on target for the second consecutive match as Newcastle United under-18s ended their season with a 1-1 draw against Manchester United.

Zamblera, 18 last week, broke the deadlock in the second period when he converted from close range after Patrick McLaughlin's flag-kick had skimmed off the head of a Red Devils defender at the near post.

Visiting centre-back Oliver Gill then rattled the crossbar before Cameron Stewart (84) snatched a point with a stunning strike from  the edge of the area.

NUFC: Ole Soderberg, Alex Patterson (Matthew Grieve 85m), Shane Ferguson, James Taylor, Callum Morris, Patrick McLaughlin, Jonny Godsmark, Frank Wiafe Danquah, Ryan Donaldson, Fabio Zamblera, Kazenga LuaLua

Subs not used: Kieran Wrightson, Mark Cook, Stewart Bath, Dan Neary

The game was televised here in Sweden, couldn't see much of it though as I was working, but from what I saw Godsmark, Zamblera and Lua Lua looked a class above. Especially Lua Lua, his close control is immense, he's a joy to watch with the ball at his feet. I really hope he will make it, he certainly looks talented enough.

NEWCASTLE United coach Adam Sadler was today handed a glowing reference from one of football’s managerial greats – Dutch ace Louis van Gaal.

Van Gaal masterminded the downfall of Glenn Roeder and Newcastle in last term’s UEFA Cup, and has also won the Champions League with Ajax and two La Liga titles with Barcelona, as well as managing Holland at international level.

The world-class coach invited Seghill lad Sadler over to the low country to work in his shadow at AZ Alkmaar to help enhance the Geordie boy’s outlook on the game.

He told the Chronicle in an exclusive interview: “Adam stayed here for one week and watched us work during our training sessions.

“Adam asks intelligent questions and made a great impression as a human being, but also a great impression football-wise.

“We are flooded by requests from coaches from all over Europe, such as Spain, Turkey, Switzerland and Portugal, to do a placement with us who want to obtain a UEFA Pro-Licence.

“This season we have got at least 20 applications, including Adam.

“The Newcastle United club doctor Iain McGuinness, who worked with Arthur Numan and Shota Arveladze at Glasgow Rangers, introduced Adam to us.

“Some of coaches stay here for the entire season, like Jan Zoutman, who is now at the helm at First Division side Haarlem, while others, like Ruud Kaiser, coach of the Dutch under-17 squad, come here one day a month.

“I had conversations with Adam before I asked my assistants, Edgar Metgod in particular, to take care of him.”

Sadler took in the clash between AZ and Sparta Rotterdam, in which Van Gaal – who announced plans to stay on as coach of Alkmaar over the weekend – guided his side to a 1-0 win.

The former Academy goalkeeping coach is back on Tyneside preparing his young charges for the Northumberland Senior Cup final against Blyth Spartans at St James’s Park tomorrow night.

And reflecting on his experience with one of the kings of the dugout in Van Gaal, he said: “I had a watching brief at AZ first of all because Louis van Gaal is in charge there.

“He has a great reputation and maintains high standards.

“I was at the UEFA Cup game here in Alkmaar last season and was impressed by the way AZ played.

“They managed to reach the next phase after being down 4-2.”

“I had sky-high expectations when I arrived in Alkmaar, and I must admit Van Gaal has lived above and beyond them.

“He has been welcoming and open. He is a man of integrity and has strong moral values.

“I felt really reassured when I noticed that Van Gaal’s training methods do not differ that much from mine, so I feel I am on the right track.

“Van Gaal asks for maximum concentration during the entire training session and the players have no time to relax.

“We are obviously different people, but Van Gaal has been very successful.”