"stop writing shite on message boards" say .com

Happy Face

Guest Knightrider

If the media (or any other) are intent on stirring shite, which they often are where our club and us as fans are concerned (hence the "hate" thread) then they will do so irrespective of what is or isn't being posted by fans on a message board. They will find a way or a means from an alternative source if they have to like they always have and always will. In short you can't really stop them. But all isn't lost because you can certainly challenge them by using the power of this medium - the internet and N.O. The main site for example is a good outlet to challenge media views. Indeed I consider this site's challenge of the Chronicle/Oliver on the main site over the years to have had an influence on that paper and fans in general. I've certainly detected a shift in the Chronicle's thinking where NUFC is concerned. They have opened up to fans and allowed fans a bigger platform to have their say, to go along with their own editorial/reporting say, in recent times. Whether this is down to moving with the times or actually listening to fans/criticism and seeing how places like this have changed how fans view and follow the club, who knows. It's probably a bit of both.

Then there was the Hitzfeld campaign. As laughable as it ended up being, it in essence showed the power of this medium and what fans can do to counter others' opposing views (for Newcastle the no foreigner as manager thing and a demonstration that we needed a top manager and not, as it sadly turned out, another turd (Roeder)).

The way I look at it we have a number of options. We can ignore it fully which most do anyway. We can rise above it (remember the atmosphere against Arsenal at SJP? A direct response to the bashing fans were getting from the media). We can challenge it (by debunking things on here and the main site) or we can laugh along with it as I did at the OXO parody above. If we moderate ourselves in accordance, then the bastards win. Why should we censor ourselves that way?

We all have to remember that Newcastle United is something we all love and care about deeply and that the kind of illogical emotion it takes to follow this club will from time to time bring out the worst and darkest from us (the kind of views and reactions you linked in your post), especially at times like this. I'd be worried if it didn't. Passions run high in this city which only has this one club. You can't keep a lid on that or expect it to moderate and censor itself for no-one.

Lets face it, despite Nufc.com's sentiments which I think we all agree with deep down, even those that started some of the threads they are bemoaning, are preaching to the converted. When the crunch comes to the crunch, we will be very much united and always have been to be honest, if only loosely at times. Remember the Semi-Final defeat to Man Utd at Cardiff and fans' reaction to that? When questions get asked of us, we answer them without fail, often without provocation.

I may not trust my club to turn up, or rather those representing us, when the chips are down, but I trust my fellow fans. We'll be there as ever, you can put your money on that. That's something no amount of message board bull shit or media shit stirring will ever be able to influence and people need to remember that.

So this place is to blame for the sodding peoples panel or whatever it's called in the Ronnie  :angry:

O0

We'd already had (and welcomed) a foreign manager way before the Hitzfeld campaign though.

I love the sentiment of the rest of your post, sadly I don't agree 100%, especially when I see substitutions being booed at the game.

The peoples panel has been around for a few years if I remember rightly so I think maybe that's one of a first for the Ronnie, an exclusive :D They have added forums, blogs and text messages to their medium in the past 18 months though which I'm inclined to believe is something they've been forced to do as I sure know the maintenance of such systems are loss runners so it's not something that that has been done to make them more money put it this way. Demand is what's responsible, if not internally from their own readership then externally from the growing popularity of platforms such as N.O. Hell, it might even determine their survival in the coming future as the world connects to the web more and more for every day things. I had a good discussion with one of their developers a while back and they were very concerned of the technological demands being placed on them. If I was asked to make a prediction now about their future I don't fancy their chances to be honest. And good, as they stopped supporting this club years ago.

We did have a foreign manager in Gullit and Ossie before him but under Shepherd and his cronies at the Chronicle, "why would we want some foreigner in charge"? Apparently. That's who the foreign message from the Hitzfeld thing was aimed at. An attempt to say, "how can you say that when look what this one foreign guy has won", which pissed all over the Geordie boy Steve Bruce, Glenn he knows the area Roeder, Sir Alan Shearer of Newcastle et als of this xenophobic/parochial Shepherd/Oliver wonderland.

As for booing any player in Black & White, it's pathetic, but I doubt what gets posted or doesn't on a message board influences that particular behaviour.

If anything, Nufc.com would be better advised to direct their disapproval towards those fans. And on that note, if it's anyone who is going to let the side down so to speak, it will be a match day going season ticket holder and not somone "who doesn't even go to the match"...

Hopefully not though, eh.

I think the death of the Pink probably shows the dwindling support they get from football fans round these parts.

The only decent thing produced by them full stop. I still miss it today. Irrelevant though sadly.

Guest Knightrider

I tell yous what, I've never felt more supportive of the club than now. I can't explain it but our situation draws something out of you or it does with me anyway. I don't think I've ever loved it more or felt so strongly about it as I do now. It's so strong I'm like "Relegation? No big deal. We'll live" and I have genuinly tuned myself into that kind of thinking to the point where if it does which it won't happen, it really won't be a big deal. I'm going to fucking enjoy my club if it kills me whatever division we are in. Too much crap over the years have sullied my experiences of it so I'm now not going to let any of that shite effect how I feel about NUFC and football which I fucking love and can't get enough of. So there. Stick that in your column Mr writer.

If Smith scores the goal that keeps us up then great, i'd be delighted, but it wouldn't make him a great player.

If KK keeps us up it doesn't mean the timing of his appointment wasn't bad and or the fact he couldn't sign anyone in such an important window was the right thing to do.

No matter what we say or do on a message board about any of those things has nil effect on the outcomes and possible scenarios. Pitch side is different, that's the only time and place it can effect the players.

If the players read the papers and take it to heart then we'd be out of business a long time ago, and whatever vibe or feeling the vultures can get from a message board in reality means fuk all to what they can and will print.

I get the point about the season not being over and we need to get behind the team, fair do's, but we've needed to get behind the team a lot better for years, problem is, there is no team to get behind anymore, just a collection of players 90% of the fans either hate or have had enough of.

How can you support something you detest? I find it difficult.

Then stop.

Personally, I've never been more eager to get to games and try to lift the spirits of the players and fellow supporters.  And I've never been less keen on giving the club shit on radio, SSN or forums, especially when they're so keen for us to do it.

Agree with this as well, although I was initially struggling in our last home game... didn't take long for me to get sucked into it though.

I'm not sure I even like one of our players - I don't mind Beye or Faye, actually - but like HF said, it's the shirt you're supporting.

It is difficult at times though, because some of the people who wear the shirt are utter cunts. EDIT: Not Alan Smith though. Bar being as bad as Baggio predicted, the lad hasn't done anything in particular to make me dislike him.

And yet Smith gets my full support when he's on the pitch, as HF has said you support the shirt and the club rather than the individual.

I find the Keegan out threads embarrassing, you get the feeling some people in our support are only happy when they've got something to moan and whinge about.

I tell yous what, I've never felt more supportive of the club than now. I can't explain it but our situation draws something out of you or it does with me anyway. I don't think I've ever loved it more or felt so strongly about it as I do now. It's so strong I'm like "Relegation? No big deal. We'll live" and I have genuinly tuned myself into that kind of thinking to the point where if it does which it won't happen, it really won't be a big deal. I'm going to fucking enjoy my club if it kills me whatever division we are in. Too much crap over the years have sullied my experiences of it so I'm now not going to let any of that shite effect how I feel about NUFC and football which I fucking love and can't get enough of. So there. Stick that in your column Mr writer.

Probably your best post ever.  :clap:

If Smith scores the goal that keeps us up then great, i'd be delighted, but it wouldn't make him a great player.

If KK keeps us up it doesn't mean the timing of his appointment wasn't bad and or the fact he couldn't sign anyone in such an important window was the right thing to do.

No matter what we say or do on a message board about any of those things has nil effect on the outcomes and possible scenarios. Pitch side is different, that's the only time and place it can effect the players.

If the players read the papers and take it to heart then we'd be out of business a long time ago, and whatever vibe or feeling the vultures can get from a message board in reality means fuk all to what they can and will print.

I get the point about the season not being over and we need to get behind the team, fair do's, but we've needed to get behind the team a lot better for years, problem is, there is no team to get behind anymore, just a collection of players 90% of the fans either hate or have had enough of.

How can you support something you detest? I find it difficult.

Then stop.

Personally, I've never been more eager to get to games and try to lift the spirits of the players and fellow supporters.  And I've never been less keen on giving the club shit on radio, SSN or forums, especially when they're so keen for us to do it.

Agree with this as well, although I was initially struggling in our last home game... didn't take long for me to get sucked into it though.

I'm not sure I even like one of our players - I don't mind Beye or Faye, actually - but like HF said, it's the shirt you're supporting.

It is difficult at times though, because some of the people who wear the shirt are utter cunts. EDIT: Not Alan Smith though. Bar being as bad as Baggio predicted, the lad hasn't done anything in particular to make me dislike him.

And yet Smith gets my full support when he's on the pitch, as HF has said you support the shirt and the club rather than the individual.

I find the Keegan out threads embarrassing, you get the feeling some people in our support are only happy when they've got something to moan and whinge about.

Funny, cos i find the "keegan is a top class manager/we're bound to be fourth/only Keegan is big enough for the job" threads fucking embarassing.

Nufc.com said

Paying through the nose to sit (and stand) through a mind-bogglingly mediocre campaign doesn't leave one well-disposed to sympathising with the people appointed to carry your hopes and dreams, who week after week do a good impression of rubbing your face in the muck. And knowing that the rest of the league barring one team are utterly bloody ordinary just makes it worse.

Bobby may wail about bleeding black and white and pin on his toon army medals, but he was many, many miles away when we suffered in near-silence the tribulations of the Dalglish and Gullit eras. It's a mite unfair, but those on the field on Sunday bore the brunt of successive failed administrations and countless regrettable signings in recent decades.

Thanks for trying Bobby, but it's defeated you, like all the rest. We've cheered you, we've supported you and now we just plain don't believe you anymore. And neither do the players. We got close, we've almost failed. Again.

In their report on the wolves game under SBR.

They spent the remaining part of SBR' managership sniping at him and generally leading the cheerleading to get him out.

Nice one lads I hope your happy with the last 5 years but lay off the hypocrisy of other fans expressing their views eh?

POT KETTLE BLACK.

Nufc.com said

Paying through the nose to sit (and stand) through a mind-bogglingly mediocre campaign doesn't leave one well-disposed to sympathising with the people appointed to carry your hopes and dreams, who week after week do a good impression of rubbing your face in the muck. And knowing that the rest of the league barring one team are utterly bloody ordinary just makes it worse.

Bobby may wail about bleeding black and white and pin on his toon army medals, but he was many, many miles away when we suffered in near-silence the tribulations of the Dalglish and Gullit eras. It's a mite unfair, but those on the field on Sunday bore the brunt of successive failed administrations and countless regrettable signings in recent decades.

Thanks for trying Bobby, but it's defeated you, like all the rest. We've cheered you, we've supported you and now we just plain don't believe you anymore. And neither do the players. We got close, we've almost failed. Again.

They spent the remaining part of SBR' managership sniping at him and generally leading the cheerleading to get him out.

Nice one lads I hope your happy with the last 5 years but lay off the hypocrisy of other fans expressing their views eh?

POT KETTLE BLACK.

Shameful.

:weep:  Well, I'd love to give my opinion on this matter and a myriad of matters regarding the team but I can't because I can't see the games in person.  

mackems.gif

Thats better. At last some sense.

Riiiiiight. 

So anyways, while I think people have the right to vent their frustrations on a messsage board if they constantly complain about the team and whine about how it makes their life miserable then perhaps they should root for someone else or just not root at all.  I mean if there is something on TV that I don't like, I just change the channel, right?  If all a person can do is bitch about a team when they are down, go root root for ManU or the NY Yankees or some other perennial winner.  Then youy can always be happy and gush like a school girl.  I mean you're either behind the team or not.  I'm not saying fans can't be critical or get down when the team sucks but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.  At some point you have to shut your yap and get behind the team.  Better days are coming and all that.

:weep:  Well, I'd love to give my opinion on this matter and a myriad of matters regarding the team but I can't because I can't see the games in person.  

You wanna try sitting in my seat with the guy next to me, if we dont score a goal after 20 minutes we are shit, the club is shit and anything to do with the club is shit. 

If we concede he almost explodes !  Spoilt a few games for me actually.

mackems.gif

Thats better. At last some sense.

Riiiiiight. 

So anyways, while I think people have the right to vent their frustrations on a messsage board if they constantly complain about the team and whine about how it makes their life miserable then perhaps they should root for someone else or just not root at all.  I mean if there is something on TV that I don't like, I just change the channel, right?  If all a person can do is bitch about a team when they are down, go root root for ManU or the NY Yankees or some other perennial winner.  Then youy can always be happy and gush like a school girl.  I mean you're either behind the team or not.  I'm not saying fans can't be critical or get down when the team sucks but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.  At some point you have to shut your yap and get behind the team.  beter days are coming and all that.

Nufc.com said

POT KETTLE BLACK.

Shameful.

Which match is that from?  Reads like it's from the last game....when the season is over...when they still invite people to mull over the bones.  Isn't the widely held view that they were spot on too?  That Robson should have went at the end of that season, hanging on made things worse....and led us to rush Souness through the door.

It's not my view like, I think the couple of odd thousand that stayed to applaud that team were spot on and the majority who fucked off for an early pint should be ashamed of themselves.  But there's not many that agree as far as I can tell.

Nufc.com said

POT KETTLE BLACK.

Shameful.

Shameful?

Truthful

Nufc.com said

POT KETTLE BLACK.

Shameful.

Which match is that from?  Reads like it's from the last game....when the season is over...when they still invite people to mull over the bones.  Isn't the widely held view that they were spot on too?  That Robson should have went at the end of that season, hanging on made things worse....and led us to rush Souness through the door.

It's not my view like, I think the couple of odd thousand that stayed to applaud that team were spot on and the majority who fucked off for an early pint should be ashamed of themselves.  But there's not many that agree as far as I can tell.

Oops, you said, it was the Wolves game.

Nufc.com said

POT KETTLE BLACK.

Ha ha. Glass houses.

Nufc.com said

POT KETTLE BLACK.

Ha ha. Glass houses.

I don't think we were in a relegation battle back then, just another season going nowhere. A small but crucial difference.

Good point.

I was going to say yesterday, bring on the whining when we're doing well, if only to temper the "We're gonna win the lot" mongs.  When we're in the shit though, there's plenty of others to give us shit, don't jump on the opposition band wagon.

Guest float one in

When I read their comment on posting **** on message boards, I thought they were referring to general football messgage boards, not the likes of this one. I mean, this is just like talking about NUFC to mates in a pub - nobody could ever have a problem with that. The problem comes when people start posting rubbish on general boards (maybe the likes of F365), as that can make us look daft. Wouldn't imagine them having a problem with this message board.

Pair of self important tossers tbh. Seem to have self appointed themselves as moral guardians of toon fans being the soopafans they are, they think they have a right to preach to everyone else and lead where others should follow. Of course they are also totally beyond repproach.

They were just in the right place at the right when the .com revolution took place, without that URL they would not have anywhere near the amount of hits they get today, and therefore the revenue generation through advertising that allows them to attend all these games and maintain their soopafan personas.

Pair of self important tossers tbh. Seem to have self appointed themselves as moral guardians of toon fans being the soopafans they are, they think they have a right to preach to everyone else and lead where others should follow. Of course they are also totally beyond repproach.

They were just in the right place at the right when the .com revolution took place, without that URL they would not have anywhere near the amount of hits they get today, and therefore the revenue generation through advertising that allows them to attend all these games and maintain their soopafan personas.

A bit unfair.

Why dont you email them, am sure they'll be happy to discuss issues with you.

A bit unfair.

Why dont you email them, am sure they'll be happy to discuss issues with you.

I don't think it is and I have no desire to. I think I remember them  from old BBS days, before the world wide web thingy, if they are whom I think they are, they were the same tossers back then too.

They were just in the right place at the right when the .com revolution took place, without that URL they would not have anywhere near the amount of hits they get today,

what a load of bollocks

they get as many hits because they have more info/news about the club than any other nufc fans site.

there opinions are just that, theres a lot they spout I dont agree with but its there site and I dont

see any problem with them voicing them.

They were just in the right place at the right when the .com revolution took place, without that URL they would not have anywhere near the amount of hits they get today,

what a load of bollocks

they get as many hits because they have more info/news about the club than any other nufc fans site.

there opinions are just that, theres a lot they spout I dont agree with but its there site and I dont

see any problem with them voicing them.

Completely disagree. You are totally ignoring the semi football ignorant crowd. Those people who have only a passing interest in Football, they've maybe been to the odd match or 2, Shearer their favourite player. They can name a few other greats like Malcolm McDonald and Jackie Milburn. A bit like Tony Blair. These are the types that do that Sky Sports and other TV companies have an uncanny knack of picking out to give their cringeworthy interviews as the "voice of the fans". These people have no idea that forums such as this exists, they type in NUFC and hit CTRL + Enter and come to what they thought was the official site only to find this fans site, "ooh isn't this wonderful" they think, "this must be where all the fans post their thoughts on the internet".

I would wager that they have a huge percentage of hits that come in through ignorance of what the site is all about. The above is also true of supporters other clubs who were under the impression they were coming to the official site. This is why .com URLs go for such a huge amount of money, the advertiser only cares about hits, they don't care about how those hits have been generated.

That's not to say there isn't some worthwhile stuff on their site, I love the "on this day" thing and when they shy away from their slef righteous preaching style some of what they put out makes a whole lot of sense.