Michael Owen must look at his own failings

Crumpy Gunt

Don't think anyone will disagree with the article and what it boils down to is him needing a hefty boot up the arse and seeing if he responds to it. He isn't going to get that unless he is dropped or Keegan comes and says he needs to improve but I can't see that happening in the near future i'm afraid.

Really good article that. At last an intelligent piece of journalism about our current plight; ironically written by a footballer and not an educated journalist.

Especially liked the personal reference to his relationship with Woodcock. Interesting insight

Was probably that dodgy perm that was the main problem.

He needs dropped for me, he has done NOTHING to earn a starting place..

Do people remember Martins' form before he went off to the African Nations Cup? All of a sudden, he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Do you remember how Allardyce was utilising him is more to the point.

6 in 15 in the league for Martins, 4 in 15 for the Scouse Parasite.

Get the gutless c**t dropped along with Smith, Butt, Duff and Barton, or we will go down.

I read the news today, oh boy,

4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire

And as the goals were rather small,

Michael couldn't score at all.

Now we know he isn't even going to get an England call.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3316205,00.html

Owen - Blues clash vital

Magpies striker calls for cool heads in relegation six-pointer

Michael Owen insists Newcastle United are not underestimating the importance of securing three points against Birmingham on Monday.

A woeful sequence of results under new manager Kevin Keegan has seen The Magpies slip to just three points above the drop zone.

Newcastle tackle their fellow strugglers at St Andrews and star striker Owen has called for his team-mates to stay calm under pressure.

"Nobody need tell us how important it is for us to get three points tonight as it would take us up the table," he told the Newcastle Chronicle.

"But we have got to go to St Andrews with cool heads and not panic.

"We have had difficult games against the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal, and few people expected us to pick anything up from them. If we had, it would have been a bonus.

"But we have enough ability in the side to win tonight and that's what we are looking to do."

Goals record

Despite failing to find the back of the net regularly for Newcastle over the last few seasons, mainly due to injury, Owen has no qualms with his record of 129 Premier League goals.

"Considering I have had a couple of nasty injuries since I came to Newcastle, and also had a spell in Spain with Real Madrid, I am quite happy with my 129 goals," he continued.

"I don't think myself or anyone else for that matter will get anywhere near Alan Shearer's record of 260 goals. But when I was a kid I would have settled for my scoring record.

"But having said this I am only 28 and I feel I have plenty of years of football left in me. And I also hope I have plenty of goals still in me, starting in tonight's game at Birmingham."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3316205,00.html

Owen - Blues clash vital

Magpies striker calls for cool heads in relegation six-pointer

Michael Owen insists Newcastle United are not underestimating the importance of securing three points against Birmingham on Monday.

A woeful sequence of results under new manager Kevin Keegan has seen The Magpies slip to just three points above the drop zone.

Newcastle tackle their fellow strugglers at St Andrews and star striker Owen has called for his team-mates to stay calm under pressure.

"Nobody need tell us how important it is for us to get three points tonight as it would take us up the table," he told the Newcastle Chronicle.

"But we have got to go to St Andrews with cool heads and not panic.

"We have had difficult games against the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal, and few people expected us to pick anything up from them. If we had, it would have been a bonus.

"But we have enough ability in the side to win tonight and that's what we are looking to do."

Goals record

Despite failing to find the back of the net regularly for Newcastle over the last few seasons, mainly due to injury, Owen has no qualms with his record of 129 Premier League goals.

"Considering I have had a couple of nasty injuries since I came to Newcastle, and also had a spell in Spain with Real Madrid, I am quite happy with my 129 goals," he continued.

"I don't think myself or anyone else for that matter will get anywhere near Alan Shearer's record of 260 goals. But when I was a kid I would have settled for my scoring record.

"But having said this I am only 28 and I feel I have plenty of years of football left in me. And I also hope I have plenty of goals still in me, starting in tonight's game at Birmingham."

No mention of england :o

He better score tonight like, hes fit now and he knows that hes GOT to score to shut us up. No excuses or hiding places now.

As long as hes scoring and assisting others, I won't say a word. C'mon lads!

I think a common feel in any Michael Owen interview is the underlying feeling that he cares more about his only personal glory than the club that employes him.

I'm not saying that that is the case, but it's the impression that is often drawn. Look at the final few paragraphs and he's talking about his goal scoring record. I'm sure he was fed the line about it being his 300th league game and his gaols per game record but I guess he's just honest in his answers and is not the type to say "That's really of no importance right now, it's winning the football game that counts".

I think a common feel in any Michael Owen interview is the underlying feeling that he cares more about his only personal glory than the club that emplyes him.

I'm not saying that that is the case, but it's the impression that is often drawn. Look at the final few paragraphs and he's talking about his goal scoring record. I'm sure he was fed the line about it being his 300th league game and his gaols per game record but I guess he's just honest in his answers and is not the type to say "That's really of no importance right now, it's winning the football game that counts".

Joey Barton's is miles better.

The article is absolutely spot on; outlines Owen's 'contribution' down to a tee. You can blame service at times, but he's had several (and i mean a fucking lot, regardless of what some people will say) clear-cut chances in 2008, and he's blown them. Unreliable and unenthused half the time.

I won't say anymore cos i'll just repeat what's in the article!

If Owen was to regain his pre-injury form, and we stay up, it'll be absolutely massive, and he could be a key element in re-instating us in the top half (we'll work on the top 6 in time). He was a quality player one time. But we've said that all season long and i just can't see it given his total lack of pace. Now, he's no more than average.

I think a common feel in any Michael Owen interview is the underlying feeling that he cares more about his only personal glory than the club that employes him.

Oops, this is the wrong thread :)

This article is spot on by the way and a quality bit of Journalism, shame the proffessional Journalists don't folow his example.

Owen is still quick, in comparison to his younger self he's not as, for sure. You've got to think, with him being up front with Smith and Viduka for the most part this season, with them dropping off he has to play the disciplined striker role ie. on the shoulder. He never gets the chance to use his pace. He's still got enough to get away from most defenders still imo, like for that chance he should have tucked away against Blackburn (the 2nd one).

I think a common feel in any Michael Owen interview is the underlying feeling that he cares more about his only personal glory than the club that emplyes him.

Joey Barton's is miles better.

:lol:

He had a good game tonight, he needs to do that every game now.

Goals are what put a smile on Owens face so with that one tonight, I am hoping he is going to go into Saturdays game hungry for more..