Oba...Obafem

TRon

Are we going to have this fuss everytime Keegan makes a decision some don't agree with? I wouldn't have taken Oba off but why the fuss over such a nothing point?

I think it's been an interesting discussion and there have been some good ideas both for and against taking Oba out in both this thread and the game thread.  In a relegation battle KK's gonna keep his cards close to his vest so any insight we can get into his thinking is important, imo.  It's quite possible that KK killed a few birds with one stone:  he showed confidence in Owen and Viduka, lit a fire under Oba and showed confidence in Zogs by putting him in during a critical part of the game.  He was also successful in making a tactical change during a critical part of the game and having it work as well as can be expected.   Win, win, win all around I'd say.  Hopefully he can build on it for Saturday.

We probably wouldn't have scored again last night anyhow. I was listening to it and the commentators were dribbling inane bullshit for a good five or ten minutes before Oba did come off. Longer-term, this could well have been a massive move. Martins will be busting a gasket to score at the weekend now.

We probably wouldn't have scored again last night anyhow. I was listening to it and the commentators were dribbling inane bullshit for a good five or ten minutes before Oba did come off. Longer-term, this could well have been a massive move. Martins will be busting a gasket to score at the weekend now.

..or blowing a gut, maybe? ;)

..or blowing a gut, maybe? ;)

:lol:

By Craig Hope

LIKE gaffer Kevin Keegan, Toon striker Oba Martins laughed off any suggestion of a fall out between the pair after his reaction to being substituted during the 1-1 draw at Birmingham City on Monday night.

The Nigerian had been lively throughout the crunch St.Andrew's clash and was clearly disappointed when he was replaced with ten minutes left to play.

But the seven-goal hitman insists that his frustration was merely born out of a desire to help steer the Geordies away from the threat of relegation.

"There are no problems," said Oba.

"We have quality players and if we continue that sort of play, we will do even better.

"All I am trying to do is help get this club away from the relegation zone.

"The fans or the club don't need that so that is all I am concerned about.

"The coach plays an attacking game and that suits my game a lot.

"I am satisfied with that and by the way we played going forward as a team."

The Geordies were unlucky not to collect what would have been a much-needed three points against the Blues as they dominated the majority of the second period.

And Oba believes that KK's men can be encouraged by that display ahead of another crucial clash at home to Fulham this weekend.

"The players did very well, we battled and we showed we wanted to pass the ball and go forward," he told the Evening Chronicle.

"I think everybody gave their all and gave it everything they had but we just couldn't get that second goal and go on to win the game.

"One point isn't too bad but we know that we needed three really.

"Yet this sets us up for Saturday to win and four points from six games would be very, very good for us after the results we've had."

Setting his targets pretty low.

By Craig Hope

LIKE gaffer Kevin Keegan, Toon striker Oba Martins laughed off any suggestion of a fall out between the pair after his reaction to being substituted during the 1-1 draw at Birmingham City on Monday night.

The Nigerian had been lively throughout the crunch St.Andrew's clash and was clearly disappointed when he was replaced with ten minutes left to play.

But the seven-goal hitman insists that his frustration was merely born out of a desire to help steer the Geordies away from the threat of relegation.

"There are no problems," said Oba.

"We have quality players and if we continue that sort of play, we will do even better.

"All I am trying to do is help get this club away from the relegation zone.

"The fans or the club don't need that so that is all I am concerned about.

"The coach plays an attacking game and that suits my game a lot.

"I am satisfied with that and by the way we played going forward as a team."

The Geordies were unlucky not to collect what would have been a much-needed three points against the Blues as they dominated the majority of the second period.

And Oba believes that KK's men can be encouraged by that display ahead of another crucial clash at home to Fulham this weekend.

"The players did very well, we battled and we showed we wanted to pass the ball and go forward," he told the Evening Chronicle.

"I think everybody gave their all and gave it everything they had but we just couldn't get that second goal and go on to win the game.

"One point isn't too bad but we know that we needed three really.

"Yet this sets us up for Saturday to win and four points from six games would be very, very good for us after the results we've had."

Setting his targets pretty low.

He must mean the previous 5 and Fulham :razz:

Are we going to have this fuss everytime Keegan makes a decision some don't agree with? I wouldn't have taken Oba off but why the fuss over such a nothing point?

I think it's been an interesting discussion and there have been some good ideas both for and against taking Oba out in both this thread and the game thread.  In a relegation battle KK's gonna keep his cards close to his vest so any insight we can get into his thinking is important, imo.  It's quite possible that KK killed a few birds with one stone:  he showed confidence in Owen and Viduka, lit a fire under Oba and showed confidence in Zogs by putting him in during a critical part of the game.  He was also successful in making a tactical change during a critical part of the game and having it work as well as can be expected.   Win, win, win all around I'd say.  Hopefully he can build on it for Saturday.

I like your thinking.

Martins does really seem to have settled into the North East so well. Really does seem to have a genuine affection for the club, which is really refreshing.

Are you his agent btw?  :lol:

Martins does really seem to have settled into the North East so well. Really does seem to have a genuine affection for the club, which is really refreshing.

Are you his agent btw?  :lol:

I thought he was wiping away sweat not tears :lol: awww bless his little cottons. :D

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/03/19/tears-prove-that-i-care-martins-61634-20643397/

Tears prove that I care – Martins

Mar 19 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

OBAFEMI Martins has told how Kevin Keegan was quick to dry his tears of frustration after the Newcastle striker made his anger known following his substitution against Birmingham City on Monday night.

Obafemi Martins

There has been plenty of justified criticism of the Magpies this season, but Martins refutes the charge that too many of the players simply do not care enough about the club’s plight.

The former Inter Milan front man’s actions also backed up his words as he gave a full insight into what Keegan said to him after he had angrily stomped off the pitch when he was replaced by Charles N’Zogbia late in the second half at St Andrew’s.

In fact, rather than cause a problem between the two, Martins suggested the spat had actually increased his respect for Keegan because of the way he handled the incident.

“I like the manager, he doesn’t mind people showing emotion on the pitch and that is good,” said Martins, whose substitution also did not go down well with United’s supporters, who booed the decision before chanting the player’s name. “He knows that I wanted to try and win the game and he is happy with that sort of attitude.

“We are not angry with each other. I was upset when I had to come off, I didn’t want to go off because I wanted to help the team. I wanted to help us try to win the game.

“I felt we were going to get the winner and I was frustrated when I saw that I was going off. There were a few tears because I was frustrated and emotional, nobody likes to be taken off and I’m no different. It was a big game for Newcastle and I was desperate to do something on the pitch which might have got us all three points.

“I didn’t understand why I was being taken off so I made my feelings known, but the manager was brilliant. He said he understood how I felt, he didn’t get angry at me, he just explained why he had done it.

“He told me to relax because I had played well and that I’d been taken off because it was a tactical decision, not because he thought I wasn’t playing well.”

In many ways, Martins typified United’s performance on Monday night as he made up for an anonymous first-half display with a vastly-improved show after the break.

And the 23-year-old insisted the players had shown they have the qualities needed to survive this season as they responded positively to Keegan’s half time team-talk.

He said: “I think it was a very good point in the circumstances because we were in a difficult situation at half time. It was a game we could not afford to lose, because if we had done we would have made things a lot tougher for ourselves.

“There was a big improvement in the second half, we sat down and we talked to each other at half time. The manager told us what he expected from us, that we had to improve and we went out on to the pitch and did that.

“We were 1-0 down again and that has been a problem for us during our poor run, but we didn’t collapse. We didn’t concede a second and that was important. I never give up and you know when there is just one goal in it that you still have a chance to win the game.

“We had to stay confident in what we were trying to do and I think you saw the spirit and determination in the side. It wasn’t a great performance, but we fought for each other, which is what you need to do at times like this when you are worried about relegation.”

Given Monday night’s result and the important role he played in the build-up to Michael Owen’s crucial equaliser, Martins – who was part of a three-man strikeforce alongside Owen and Mark Viduka – hopes the Magpies can take their second-half performance into the game against Fulham this weekend.

He explained: “If we carry on playing like we did in the second half I think the season will have a happy end. We have to stay positive, in our thinking and the way we play our football.

“It’s not going to be easy against Fulham, none of us think that, but we have to try to carry on where this game finished. If we play like we did in the second half against Birmingham, we know we can win that game.”

Keep up to date with the news. Receive our free

Fukin love Martins.

Can stay here for 10 years as far as i'm concerned.

:thup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I just wish the rest of them cared that much..

Get a grip the pair of you. He's not that good. Says all the right things though, which a few more could learn from as it seems to fool most of the fans into thinking he's amazing. Shows how poor we are when people hero worship him imo.

Fukin love Martins.

Get a grip the pair of you. He's not that good. Says all the right things though, which a few more could learn from as it seems to fool most of the fans into thinking he's amazing. Shows how poor we are when people hero worship him imo.

If actions speak louder than words then his tears were deafening.

:D

Am just messing man, 10 year deal :lol: but he does love the club there is no doubting that and for that we love him back..

Fukin love Martins.

If actions speak louder than words then his tears were deafening.

I'm only arsed about him scoring enough to keep us up or contributing in a way that allows others to get the required goals. The praise he gets on here at times is ridiculous. So is some of the criticism at times. He's an important player for us at present but I'd be quite depressed at the thought of that being the case for the next 5 years never mind the next 10.

Fukin love Martins.

He's fkn loved man. ;)