Oba...Obafem

TRon

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/01/oba-martins-i-m-sorry-for-storming-off-72703-22377728/

Oba Martins: I’m sorry for storming off

Dec 1 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

OBAFEMI MARTINS has apologised for his act of petulance when he was substituted as Newcastle United came away with a goalless draw with Middlesbrough at the Riverside stadium.

But the 24-year-old striker quickly added: “I was absolutely gutted at being hauled off, and it was all down to sheer disappointment.”

The Nigerian international usually races off the field when his number is up, but the opposite was very much the case when Joe Kinnear replaced him with Mark Viduka after 66 minutes.

The United striker walked off with a face like thunder, angrily pulled off his wristbands, ignored the visiting bench and instead disappeared down the tunnel – but he did make a point of shaking hands with Viduka.

In his only post-match interview, Martins said: “Like any other player, I am always most disappointed when I am substituted.

“But I am sorry if what I did was a problem and, in hindsight, perhaps it was wrong for me to go into the dressing rooms and not go on the bench.”

To be fair to Martins, he looked the only United player capable of grabbing a goal at the Riverside, and his substitution did not go down too well with the travelling Toon Army.

Certainly any talk of Martins being disciplined by the club would not be well received.

He said: “I was feeling good and felt as though I could score, and I still do not know or understand why I was called off.

“I don’t suppose it was a surprise that Mark Viduka was brought on, especially as there were no goals.

“But I was hoping I would get the chance to play alongside him and Michael Owen and not be the one to make way for him.

“When the three of us were used together as a three-pronged attack last season we had a fair amount of success.”

Kinnear has a full week to mull over whether to use Martins, Owen and Viduka together against Stoke City at St James’s Park on Saturday.

Martins is hugely popular with the United supporters, and they would be concerned to read reports over the weekend that the former Inter Milan man was unhappy at St James’s.

I have always felt that Martins has been uncertain about his future with United ever since Sam Allardyce tried to sell him a year past July.

And talk of his £13m release clause being removed didn’t come to fruition – something the likes of Arsenal and Spurs are very much aware of.

Guest firetotheworks

I dont think anyone can blame him for storming off. It was a shit decision to take him off, and everyone could see that.

Guest palnese

I dont think anyone can blame him for storming off. It was a s*** decision to take him off, and everyone could see that.

It's not the first time he's done it though. He stormed off down the tunnel under Keegan one match too.

EDIT - It was Birmingham away.

cant blame him tbh.. and surely cant be punished for this. just expressed his passion to play. end of

I personally don't have anything against what he did, but you can see the thinking behind the substitution. How many times in the past has Owen been quiet and then nicked a goal? While everyone's saying that Martins had the best chance when he hit the bar, had Viduka's late shot when Owen chested it down into his path flew into the top corner, then the decision would have been justified.

I personally don't have anything against what he did, but you can see the thinking behind the substitution. How many times in the past has Owen been quiet and then nicked a goal? While everyone's saying that Martins had the best chance when he hit the bar, had Viduka's late shot when Owen chested it down into his path flew into the top corner, then the decision would have been justified.

Agreed and you are protecting the point if the ball sticks up top more. Viduka did manage to hold the ball up for us and nearly sneak it.

I dont think anyone can blame him for storming off. It was a s*** decision to take him off, and everyone could see that.

It's not the first time he's done it though. He stormed off down the tunnel under Keegan one match too.

Nowt wrong with it imo. But then i'm a Martins fanboy.

Serioulsy though, i like his passion. When he kicks and stomps his feet and whatnot during the game, countless times i've seen him go on to score. Makes him want it even more. Villa is a good example.

Serioulsy though, i like his passion. When he kicks and stomps his feet and whatnot during the game, countless times i've seen him go on to score. Makes him want it even more. Villa is a good example.

Don't people slag Duff off for doing the same thing?

Dunno, don't think i ever have done.

Dunno, don't think i ever have done.

The thing is, Duff never scores.

But Owen had done nothing up until that point. I don't understand why you would say that he was more likely to score than Martins after witnessing the invisible act he pulled. Martins offered us an outlet, and like I've mentioned countless times, we look worse without him on the pitch. You can argue that Owen is mor elikely to come from nowhere and score but that goes to show that his contribution is marginal, at best, if he doesn't score. It shouldn't be praised that he can do that. Owen plays best against tired defenders but not when he's as tired as them! We should have gone three up front or Owen should have come off. The ball will still stick up top with or without Owen because Viduka was handling that. Considering who had been more dangerous and more likely to score up until that point, Martins should never have been subbed.

I wouldn't mind seeing Owen used a super-sub when Viduka's fully fit. Oba can go 90 minutes easily, Owen can come on for Viduka after 60 or so minutes. We're losing him anyway, there's no need to give him the 'he's indispensable' treatment.

But what happened after he was subbed in that game? Yeah, Birmingham started to dominate. The same happened against Reading and the same happened against Fulham (although we got a goal via a free-kick late on in that match). Even when Oba's misfiring, his presence affects the shape of both teams on the pitch and he scares the fuck out of defenders. When Owen's misfiring, he's invisible.

More of a case of JK not wanting to throw it away late on by going with a three man attack and threee man midfield, he wanted to bring on Viduka but also is trying to get Owen to stay, Oba suffered because of that.

You never want a playerr to be happy to come off but you also do not want them to be so obvious about how unhappy they are at the decision.

I'd be storming off an all. Not just Kinnear, it was Keegan and Allardyce. All terrified of upsetting the mighty Owen and always subbing Oba.

As for showing his passion what the f*** is wrong with that? Would you rather he laughed as he came off the field? But in some peoples eyes he'll never be "right", good job most fans love him for what he is and just see his goals and his play.

the managers dilema. take off who is playing better or keep on the player who is usually more likely ?

the more i read these threads the more it basically looks like people prefer martins as he is more exciting but the results generally just about favour owen.