Old Shola thread. Please ignore.

lovejoy

Article from a Norwich source, indicates that Roeder was interested in Shola, but Stoke agreed to an initial loan with £5M transfer in the summer. Too expensive a gamble for Roeder to compete with.

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=3081 make sure you read page 2 of the article.

Great business from KK if he has wrung £5M out of anyone for Strola.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Norwich manager Glenn Roeder has admitted his frustration at missing out on signing Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi.

The former England U21 international has been a long term target for the Canaries boss, however the Magpies man agreed to join Championship rivals Stoke City on Thursday on a loan deal until the end of the season.

Roeder managed Ameobi during his spell in charge at St James' Park and after missing out on the 26-year-old's services, revealed that Stoke have paid an 'incredible' fee for the Newcastle striker.

He said: "I would have liked Shola here but I was consistently told by Sam Allardyce and then Kevin Keegan that he would not be let out on loan and that he had a future at Newcastle.

Gamble

"We were always promised a phone call if and when that changed and I found out at seven o'clock on Thursday morning that he was travelling down to Stoke to tie up a loan deal until the end of the season.

"I spoke to Dennis Wise at length and if he is telling me the truth, the amount of loan fee that Stoke have paid is incredible.

"I have personally never heard of a higher fee for such a short period of time.

"Obviously Stoke are gambling that Shola can shoot them up into the Premier League automatically."

Sky Sports

So £500k now, and i guess £4.5m if they go up?

For a player in his last year of his contract, well, 15 months.

Amazing.

TBH a proper run of games now and if they get into the prem he's a better £5m spent than Chopra.

I really hoped he did well, but this makes me wish it now!

Guest Knightrider

Good luck to Ameobi who has been a model professional here at Newcastle and has at times sacrificed his own game and career for the cause (playing numerous times with a hip injury etc.) and while he obviously never fully cut it here, he's had a good go at it unlike many others and can take with him some good performances and memories. I'll never forget his form under Roeder's caretakership, setting Big Al up for the record, his goal away to Barca and his performances in Europe which were usually of a good standard. It's always a shame to see local lads leave and I hope Ameobi does well at Stoke which to be frank, he's better than in my opinion. Shola would easily cut it at a Wigan or a Bolton, lower Premier League level. If that price is correct though that's good business on our behalf. Anyway all the best to the lad.

Haha. Stoke are mugs.

Won't be saying that when Shola fires em up lad, at Watfords expense. :knowing wink:

Stoke are absolute turd though, without Lawrence in the side they are terrible. Even if they had Cristiano Ronaldo, they still wouldn't finish in the automatic spots.

Guest fraser

Good riddance to a big pile of steaming donkey s***.

Here's hoping for another "cruel injury blow" for a post-NUFC player....once some stupid c***s are mental enough to sign him permanently, of course.

Northern Monkey. You are an absolute disgrace.

Guest The Libertine
sacrificed his own game and career for the cause (playing numerous times with a hip injury etc.)

if he did love the club then he wouldnt have played with a career threatening injury that negatively affected his performances. he should have declared himself injured, had the surgery and come back 6 months earlier than he did to play when he's fully fit.

and ill believe the £5million thing when i see it. completely mental fee.

sacrificed his own game and career for the cause (playing numerous times with a hip injury etc.)

if he did love the club then he wouldnt have played with a career threatening injury that negatively affected his performances. he should have declared himself injured, had the surgery and come back 6 months earlier than he did to play when he's fully fit.

:lol:

Roeder would probably pay 15 if we ask him very kindly.

Good riddance to a big pile of steaming donkey shit.

Here's hoping for another "cruel injury blow" for a post-NUFC player....once some stupid cunts are mental enough to sign him permanently, of course.

You're fucking pathetic.

happy days all round, great piece of business for us and a good move for shola.

hope he fires them into the prem.

good luck to him, owes us nowt, always gave his all for us imo, and played through the pain barrier a good few times, probably to his down fall as he ended up missing so much of last year when he would have been a regular.

as is said, good luck to him

500k if that is what it is for 6 games seems very high but at the same time the rewards for getting into the prem are incredbile, promotion is worth 30mill or more so 500k is nothing if it means the difference between going up or not.

We all have fun at the Mackems for paying 5 mill for Chops but if you take into account the crucial goals he's scored for them, 5 mill may not be as bad a price as it appears. There's probably a few more but last minute goals to grab wins against Villa and Spurs and salvage a point at Brum, is worth 5 points, they'll not be 5 points clear of the bottom 3 by the end of the season so he could have saved them loosing 30mill by being relegated.