Newcastle United 2 - 0 Mackems - 20/04/08 - Post match reaction from page 13

James

We are crying out for a mobile centre-forward with pace.

Just out of interest, whats Martins?

I think he means mobile, pacy target man-type ideally.

Would have been nice if we'd got Anelka when we had the chance.

Chelsea would probably sell him if they got their money back because he's been far from impressive for them.

Still think he's a good player. Lot of players have had trouble slotting in at Chelsea in the first season...Ballack, Schev etc... Funny system and now lacking the insight of Jose.

Without doubt.

We are crying out for a mobile centre-forward with pace.

Just out of interest, whats Martins?

I think he means mobile, pacy target man-type ideally.

Would have been nice if we'd got Anelka when we had the chance.

Chelsea would probably sell him if they got their money back because he's been far from impressive for them.

Still think he's a good player. Lot of players have had trouble slotting in at Chelsea in the first season...Ballack, Schev etc... Funny system and now lacking the insight of Jose.

Without doubt.

Darren Bent would be perfect

Guest mr quimbys beard

Not a great game but its the result that counts against the unwashed, happy as a pig in shit, cant wait to see the mackems at work the neet.

I think a good number of our team were poor on the ball yesterday, Barton, Geremi and Martins the chief culprits. However to a man they all worked their socks off and that's the least we can expect from them when they aren't at their best which is much better than them not being at their best and neither putting a shift in which was the case a few weeks back. In that sense Barton was tremendous, covering a lot of ground and showing a bit of pace at times when taking on his man. Lets not forget space and time was at a premium due to the nature of this match which made it tough to get the ball down and play. The fact we did play football periodically is very encouraging.

Watched the whole game back on sky plus and Barton didn't give the ball away until the 60th minute (barring a few long range, risk, passes which is ok). At that time the whole team got sloppy.

In fact for me Barton and Enrique were the only ones that had the confidence to play a tricky ball. Barton seemed to help his team mates out all game, being an extra man in midfield at times.

Geremi is the weakest link because despite the umptine times he's got an assist he lacks any flair or pace.

I think a good number of our team were poor on the ball yesterday, Barton, Geremi and Martins the chief culprits. However to a man they all worked their socks off and that's the least we can expect from them when they aren't at their best which is much better than them not being at their best and neither putting a shift in which was the case a few weeks back. In that sense Barton was tremendous, covering a lot of ground and showing a bit of pace at times when taking on his man. Lets not forget space and time was at a premium due to the nature of this match which made it tough to get the ball down and play. The fact we did play football periodically is very encouraging.

Watched the whole game back on sky plus and Barton didn't give the ball away until the 60th minute (barring a few long range, risk, passes which is ok). At that time the whole team got sloppy.

at last some sense, wish people would stop judging barton on his previous peformances tbh, since the brum game he's been getting better every week, does the simple things well, and you need that aswell as 60 yard killer passes

Thought Barton was solid again yesterday as well. Did what he had to do, won tackles, played simple balls and was all over the pitch.

Butt was again the standout player from the midfield three, but the other two were decent enough as well.

Just watching the highlights now.

I really don't remember most of this. :lol:

That's what i was like. You do get a different perspective watching it on T.V. Note that the T.V didn't give the atmosphere the respect it deserved.

FAO Janitor: Maybe we should be at work or something?

Guest Geordiesned

Pedantic point but both Sky and ITV saying that Keegan has never lost a derby match against either Sunderland or Boro whilst managing Newcastle. So who was in charge when we lost 3-1 to the Smoggies in the League Cup just over a month before he resigned?

Pedantic point but both Sky and ITV saying that Keegan has never lost a derby match against either Sunderland or Boro whilst managing Newcastle. So who was in charge when we lost 3-1 to the Smoggies in the League Cup just over a month before he resigned?

i didnt hear them mention boro?

although if they did, do they not mean in the league only

I just came back to Norway from Newcastle, the game was just what i expected, AND MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE!

I have not come back to earth yet, hehe

I really love this team, greatest in the world.

Glad you enjoyed it mate, first game?

They just had some bloke on the North East news, sounded South African, said he'd come over for his first game in 32 years. Quality. :)

I wonder who came up with the idea for the opera singer to sing 'The Blaydon Races'? It was very well received.

Should become a regular thing for big special games.

Aye, why not. Certainly for Tyne/Wear,(real) Derbies. Was a great touch and really got the crowd going. Was almost like a national anthem.