Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Arguebly? It hasn't at all, barring those names you have mentioned.

No love for the golden generation(s) of Portuguese footballers?  ;D  Right, Portugal has not produced talent that can measure up to the three previously mentioned, but what other country can make that claim? I don't think that the Netherlands has produced many players that measure up to Bergkamp or van Basten.

I think I'm a little less impressed with the likes of Robben, Sneijder, and van der Vaart than you are.  I think Kezman is right to question the outrageous fees paid for them. More than a few Portuguese players have gone for similarly outrageous fees--Nani, Bosingwa. The price for those players is inflated for the same reason that the price of those Dutch players is inflated. Ryan Babel? C'mon.

I think Kezman is right to claim that some Dutch players cost more because they are Dutch. But it was folly to bring up the names of Grønkjær and Rommendahl, who were/are shit.

"I don't think that the Netherlands has produced many players that measure up to Bergkamp or van Basten."

They've produced at least 10 in the last 20 years who are up there with Bergkamp.

"I don't think that the Netherlands has produced many players that measure up to Bergkamp or van Basten."

They've produced at least 10 in the last 20 years who are up there with Bergkamp.

and quite a few who are not too far behind. the portuguese problem is that after the topo 2 or 3 there seems to be a big drop off.

Netherlands "B" list of football notables (the Overmars, De Boers, Kluivert, Rijkaard, Winters, Robben, Wouters, Stam, etc...) is far above what Portugal regularly produces.

Don't forget Guillit, Van Basten, Koeman and the Dutch master Johan Cruyff

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think Huth and Tuncay to Stoke is a massive boost for us.

Huth and Wheater are a midtable premier league centre half pairing.

I think Huth and Tuncay to Stoke is a massive boost for us.

Huth and Wheater are a midtable premier league centre half pairing.

I agree. Hope Everton or someone buys Wheater, then Boro are truly in the shit.

Tommy Smith gone to Pompey as well, another decent Championship player leaves the league.

The Dutch are considered a world powerhouse due to their history of producing free-flowing attacking football.

And they turn out a lot of top notch footballers for such a small country.

The population of Denmark is about a third  that of the Netherlands.  Portugal is smaller than the Netherlands (about 2/3 the size) and has arguably produced a more impressive set of players. Let's start with Eusébio, C. Ronaldo and Figo

Eusebio isn't even from Portugal, then on the other hand you've got Cruyff, van Basten, Gullit, Koeman etc. etc. no contest really.

Guest Heneage

You're full of s*** Nixon

The irony being you are? You regularly will sit and say that but never will you argue why the point is wrong, because you know you can't really. Take note from Tooj and try constructing a sentence outside of a name and a swear word.

Well, I still wonder why Kasper Schmeichel pissed his career going there too.

5 year deal potential wage increase ? Dad of Peter, he could easily go back to Denmark tomorrow and stand a chance of being in the national side.

That was probably enough of a deterrent for him.

Do you know where Denmark are in their qualifier group? I'll let you go and check before making silly statements.  :angel:

:blush: I was actually thinking of Norway, who are pretty much as bad a team as Scotland are. Anyway, Denmark will be nothing more than Cannon fodder for the big teams in the world cup so the qualifying shouldn't make too much of a differance.

What's your basis for this sorry?

Nothing other than i can't see them beating one of the favourites in a big match on the biggest stage. Other than Larsen who would trouble a top defence at the world cup ?

Even with a back line of Dan Agger and Simon Kjaer? Who looks one of Europe's brightest defensive prospects. Put them behind the experience of Tommy Sorensen, you then have a midfield of Christian Poulsen and Thomas Kahlenberg, Bendtner, Tomasson, Larsen, Rommedahl and Daniel Jensen. They have more than enough potential to shock on the worlds stage.

Rommedahl. Howay man, he's a danish Alan O'Brien. anyway we'll see in the summer how well they do, i'd be surprised to see them get past the group stages.

Are you serious mate? Has O'brien played in the Champions League like? I don't think so, clearly you have a thing against danes. I'm feel for you

Andy Griffin scored past Buffon in the champions league doesn't mean he's a good player. Why are you even bothered i thought you were Italian anyway ?

Part, the name or old username was my last name which is Danish as is the father. I think they get no respect even when they achieve s***, and you have the likes of Holland who internationally have done sweet f*** all but play "Nice football" in the 70's yet they are still considered a world powerhouse. It's like saying Newcastle are a world powerhouse despite never winning the premier league or even the FA Cup in like 60 years, its daft.

They also get sorely undervalued in the transfer market, has Sneijder, Robben or even VDV done anything to justify their massive transfer fees ? No, if Agger was Dutch he'd have gone for 15m at least, not the 5m pool paid. Rommedhal was in the CL consistently and despite some horrific injuries Gronkjaer played intermittently. Tomasson for all his s*** with us was pretty lethal for all his other clubs, when actually given a chance like he was at milan were he was a 1 in 3 striker mixed in with a good whack of sub appearances. The recently retired Laursen would have been massive for Denmark next year. 

The Dutch are considered a world powerhouse due to their history of producing free-flowing attacking football.

Don't get me wrong Denmark have produced some brilliant players over the years, Schmeichel being far the best goal keeper I have ever seen. I would also rank Michael Laudrup as one of the greatest players of all time, his vision was something to laud over time and time again. He was absolutely brilliant. But the likes of Rommedhal and Gronkjaer were never any great shakes even when both at PSV and Chelsea. Most I know also rate Tommason and all agree it just wasn't the right time for him here with Shearer getting injured, Asprilla and Ferdinand also getting sold. Which meant he had to shoulder far too much of the burden of responsibility and playing too advanced. If Shearer had never got injured I think he would have made it for us.

Plus I don't think it's something you need to be overreacting about like you are. I think most people rate Danish footballers like any other, if they are of sufficient quality people will always rate them. It doesn't matter what their nationality is. I'm sure if you ask anyone who saw the likes of Simonsen, the Laudrup Brothers and Schmeichel play they will all tell you how good they were. Just the likes of Rommedhal and Gronkjaer are not on the same radar as those.

Yet the Dutch since the 70's have produced players of that quality consistently time and time again, which is another reason as to why they are called a powerhouse of world football.

Fair argument. I just find it weird that a country that produced great players 40 years ago won nothing then, wins nothing now is still considered strong. Rommedahl was goood at PSV though, his role was a lot simpler than want Charlton wanted he was more in a 3 like what Keegan did with Martins.

I'm not over-reacting per se, I just find annoying/weird that people think Denmark are average and won't do a thing, when they are top of a very difficult qualifier group.

It's easy to just produce good players, but if those players win nothing then it's pointless, Holland have produced some fantastic players, but they've not won an international tournament, how they are considered strong I have no idea, when you consider the two best midfielders they have right now Sneijder and VDV are currently the red headed stepchildren at Real.

Nixon is more multinational than a bureau de change the bloody immigrant!

:lol:

To be fair mate, it's 2 countries.

You're full of s*** Nixon

The irony being you are? You regularly will sit and say that but never will you argue why the point is wrong, because you know you can't really. Take note from Tooj and try constructing a sentence outside of a name and a swear word.

Well, I still wonder why Kasper Schmeichel pissed his career going there too.

5 year deal potential wage increase ? Dad of Peter, he could easily go back to Denmark tomorrow and stand a chance of being in the national side.

That was probably enough of a deterrent for him.

Do you know where Denmark are in their qualifier group? I'll let you go and check before making silly statements.  :angel:

:blush: I was actually thinking of Norway, who are pretty much as bad a team as Scotland are. Anyway, Denmark will be nothing more than Cannon fodder for the big teams in the world cup so the qualifying shouldn't make too much of a differance.

What's your basis for this sorry?

Nothing other than i can't see them beating one of the favourites in a big match on the biggest stage. Other than Larsen who would trouble a top defence at the world cup ?

Even with a back line of Dan Agger and Simon Kjaer? Who looks one of Europe's brightest defensive prospects. Put them behind the experience of Tommy Sorensen, you then have a midfield of Christian Poulsen and Thomas Kahlenberg, Bendtner, Tomasson, Larsen, Rommedahl and Daniel Jensen. They have more than enough potential to shock on the worlds stage.

Rommedahl. Howay man, he's a danish Alan O'Brien. anyway we'll see in the summer how well they do, i'd be surprised to see them get past the group stages.

Are you serious mate? Has O'brien played in the Champions League like? I don't think so, clearly you have a thing against danes. I'm feel for you

Andy Griffin scored past Buffon in the champions league doesn't mean he's a good player. Why are you even bothered i thought you were Italian anyway ?

Part, the name or old username was my last name which is Danish as is the father. I think they get no respect even when they achieve s***, and you have the likes of Holland who internationally have done sweet f*** all but play "Nice football" in the 70's yet they are still considered a world powerhouse. It's like saying Newcastle are a world powerhouse despite never winning the premier league or even the FA Cup in like 60 years, its daft.

They also get sorely undervalued in the transfer market, has Sneijder, Robben or even VDV done anything to justify their massive transfer fees ? No, if Agger was Dutch he'd have gone for 15m at least, not the 5m pool paid. Rommedhal was in the CL consistently and despite some horrific injuries Gronkjaer played intermittently. Tomasson for all his s*** with us was pretty lethal for all his other clubs, when actually given a chance like he was at milan were he was a 1 in 3 striker mixed in with a good whack of sub appearances. The recently retired Laursen would have been massive for Denmark next year. 

Don't get me wrong Denmark have produced some brilliant players over the years, Schmeichel being far the best goal keeper I have ever seen. I would also rank Michael Laudrup as one of the greatest players of all time, his vision was something to laud over time and time again. He was absolutely brilliant. But the likes of Rommedhal and Gronkjaer were never any great shakes even when both at PSV and Chelsea. Most I know also rate Tommason and all agree it just wasn't the right time for him here with Shearer getting injured, Asprilla and Ferdinand also getting sold. Which meant he had to shoulder far too much of the burden of responsibility and playing too advanced. If Shearer had never got injured I think he would have made it for us.

Plus I don't think it's something you need to be overreacting about like you are. I think most people rate Danish footballers like any other, if they are of sufficient quality people will always rate them. It doesn't matter what their nationality is. I'm sure if you ask anyone who saw the likes of Simonsen, the Laudrup Brothers and Schmeichel play they will all tell you how good they were. Just the likes of Rommedhal and Gronkjaer are not on the same radar as those.

Yet the Dutch since the 70's have produced players of that quality consistently time and time again, which is another reason as to why they are called a powerhouse of world football.

Fair argument. I just find it weird that a country that produced great players 40 years ago won nothing then, wins nothing now is still considered strong. Rommedahl was goood at PSV though, his role was a lot simpler than want Charlton wanted he was more in a 3 like what Keegan did with Martins.

I'm not over-reacting per se, I just find annoying/weird that people think Denmark are average and won't do a thing, when they are top of a very difficult qualifier group.

It's easy to just produce good players, but if those players win nothing then it's pointless, Holland have produced some fantastic players, but they've not won an international tournament, how they are considered strong I have no idea, when you consider the two best midfielders they have right now Sneijder and VDV are currently the red headed stepchildren at Real.

Nixon is more multinational than a bureau de change the bloody immigrant!

:lol:

To be fair mate, it's 2 countries.

Apart from the European championships in 1988

Remember Van Bastens wonder goal?

Talksport obviously love their wind-up conversation, but todays "Glasgow United" would be the only way Celtic or Rangers could achieve anything. Aye, that'd be a fucking great idea.

This guy is a joke.