Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Record of Portugal are reporting Raul Meireles (sp) will sign for Chelsea for around £15-20m.

He's a right good player. Would be happy to see him in the Prem.

Man City should have been in for a player like that instead of Yaya Toure, really baffling sometimes.

Meireles is overrated and not proven at anywhere near the highest level. Toure was a mainstay in one of the best sides of the last 50 years.

I can see why they chose Yaya.

Don't think we'll ever agree :lol:

Man City don't need another DM style player, he is less expensive (by around £10mill) and wouldn't require £221,000 p/w. Guess they don't care about money though.

Record of Portugal are reporting Raul Meireles (sp) will sign for Chelsea for around £15-20m.

Man City should have been in for a player like that instead of Yaya Toure, really baffling sometimes.

Meireles is overrated and not proven at anywhere near the highest level. Toure was a mainstay in one of the best sides of the last 50 years.

Man City don't need another DM style player, he is less expensive (by around £10mill) and wouldn't require £221,000 p/w. Guess they don't care about money though.

I agree to an extent, but Toure is not really a complete DM. He has alot more attacking qualities than De Jong, Barry and modern day Vieira. I think he's an upgrade on everything else they have.

He's a better player than Meireles, and for his position only Essien and Cambiasso are probably better at him in that role (and they're both untouchable). I see it as a statement of intent more than anything in getting a player who is the very best in his position - however sickening that may be.

I highly doubt he's on 221k aswell btw, apparently City are sueing the paper over the story which suggests fabrication.

Right, so you think bottom half of the Premier League is equal to bottom half of the SPL?

You don't quite understand my point. He has a great record against teams of a similar standard to those we would face next season in the depths of the Premier League.

If you think we can get a Drogba or a Rooney then feel free but I feel he was a very realistic, proven goalscorer.

I do understand your point, the fact is you're wrong. He doesn't have a good record against teams of the standard we will be facing next season. He has a good record against Championship/League 1 standard teams. His record against the only Premier League standard opposition he's played against (Celtic) is shocking (1 in 27).

Wigan, Bolton, West Brom, Blackpool are all miles ahead of Hibs, Hearts, Falkirk and Hamilton Academicals.

Well I consider Celtic to be better than Blackpool, West Brom, Bolton, Stoke, West Ham and Wolves. Even if he scored half as many goals it would be priceless.

I dunno like, even that's questionable. Celtic's transfer targets are Stoke and WBA cast offs (Lawrence and Koren). If anything I'd sayd they're of a very similar level.

That's the point though, against the only comparable team to Prem standard he's done absolutely shocking, so bad to the point that Rangers often don't play him in Old Firm games because it's like playing with 10 men when he plays.

The chances are he'd really struggle in the Prem, he has nothing to back his game up with when he inevitably fails against good opposition. There has to be a reason behind the fact that no Premiership team has gone for him, these teams have scouting networks (contrary to popular belief on here) who have obviously assessed that Boyd doesn't have anywhere near the attributes required to make it at a high level - there's reasoning behind why he's ended up at Boro along with all the other SPL exports.

Another player from the SPL, Fletcher, who had nowhere near the same scoring record however had alot more assets to his game and had alot more ability to make the step up to a Premier League team. Hence why Burnley paid big money for him and subsequently Wolves also have.

Celtic are struggling financially so their transfer targets will be set much lower this year.

With the Fletcher point, yes he is a better player but we don't have the money to spunk on a player like that so I don't think it's fair to bring that point up.

Trust me, Boyd is far from a great player but I think he represents a much lower risk. He has an incredible scoring record (you can't argue with that) and he is bloody free. Not even on astronomic wages either. No brainer imo. If he didn't work out I'm sure someone would take him off our hands and we would still make a profit.

Needless to say, this is all in the past as he is with the smoggies.

I might be wrong but I thought Boyd had a pretty crap record against Celtic for Rangers and in Europe for them.  Anything below Celtic in the SPL and you are talking like mid to bottom of championship level teams at best. I'm Scottish, have seen a fair bit of Boyd and don't rate him. I doubt he would of been that good in the premiership although I expect him to do rather well in the championship. He is also an arsehole of the highest degree so I am glad we didn't get him.

Actually Yaya would probably be excellent as the "water carrier" or the more forward looking in a pair of two DMs. He really doesn't have the tactical discipline to play the holding role by himself, but his box-to-box qualities are great.

He could of done better, could have seen him going somewhere like you or Everton.

?

Also, Dave would have a heart attack if he could see that 3rd word.

He could of done better, could have seen him going somewhere like you or Everton.

?

Also, Dave would have a heart attack if he could see that 3rd word.

Yeh, grammar police hadn't noticed though so shh and if you are suggesting i am being nice to please (it feels like you are) there is no chance i have ever done that or would ever do that on here or in real life.

I can just imagine Moyes going for him, a forward which is something you perhaps lack in (i think he would have been a better option than Beckford) and i know Moyes seems to make a big signing a year but generally he likes a cheaper player.

I really like Boyd btw.

I agree to an extent, but Toure is not really a complete DM. He has alot more attacking qualities than De Jong, Barry and modern day Vieira. I think he's an upgrade on everything else they have.

He's a better player than Meireles, and for his position only Essien and Cambiasso are probably better at him in that role (and they're both untouchable). I see it as a statement of intent more than anything in getting a player who is the very best in his position - however sickening that may be.

I highly doubt he's on 221k aswell btw, apparently City are sueing the paper over the story which suggests fabrication.

Can see Toure getting more goals than Barry, De Jong and Viera put together this season.

Guest Heneage

Moutinho for £9m is a shock. We were supposedly getting quoted £15-20m for the past two years and had bids of more than £9m rejected.

Staying in Portugal is a bit of a cop out on his part as well. Not to mention a big 'f*** you' to the Sporting fans.

I posted a page back mate. He literally had no offers from abroad. He'd just been stripped of captaincy too.

No player is worth more then maximum 80k a week, fucking hell.

What has the world come to?

These players are running around in a dream and makes more money then the average joe ffs.

Look at Ronaldo, he's the Madonna of football, going around buying kids for fun, it sickening me.

:lol:

Moutinho for £9m is a shock. We were supposedly getting quoted £15-20m for the past two years and had bids of more than £9m rejected.

Staying in Portugal is a bit of a cop out on his part as well. Not to mention a big 'f*** you' to the Sporting fans.

the Moutinho to Everton rumours were a bit going on for years....a bit of a myth.. :D ......at least you'll be able to put those to rest now.

Kris Boyd to Boro- Free

I can't help but feel completely underwhelmed by the fact he's signed for Boro.

Rangers, who challenge for the title every season and are in the Champions League offered him a new contract and, if the move was money motivated, he could have earned £50,000 a week in Turkey but he's chosen to join an average Championship club.

Can only assume he wanted to stay on these shores and no Premiership club was willing to take a punt on him.

Guest Roger Kint

For £8m I'm sure we could also do a lot better.

With his record of jumping ship at least we could get our money back in 12 months........

Too old, too much in fee/wages, too over the hill imo

Keane should be avoided at all costs. He's s****.

he's not shit but he's not what we need at the price he would be.

Not to mention he's a twat as well. Glad we're staying clear.