Steven Taylor

Tooj

Guest BooBoo

I thought he did well today but still has to bridge the gap between promising youngster and established senior. I still think he gets a hell of a lot of slack cos he's the honest geordie 100%er.

He was excellent today, put plenty of blocks in and looked reasonably solid in the air.

The whole back four with Nicky Butt sat in front of them made us a solid outfit for large parts of the game

He seems to do well against Chelsea, either because he's not expected to do much and the pressure's off, or he relishes the physical challenge. He and Faye snuffed Drogba out pretty effectively.

It's still heart in mouth time whenever the ball's at his feet though.

He was excellent today, put plenty of blocks in and looked reasonably solid in the air.

The whole back four with Nicky Butt sat in front of them made us a solid outfit for large parts of the game

Agree. Thought Enrique looked better than Bridge.

Guest Knightrider

He has been excellent in our recent run and in general since KK returned. He was flawless today and put in a commanding shift up against one of the best strikers in Europe against a formidable side that at times, were pinning us back. He took charge several times in the tackle and in the air and did all the simple things effectively which has often been a problem for him. This is more like it, solid no nonsense defending. As a defender, he has what it takes, I really believe that and have said it time and time again. He just has to stick to defending and keeping it simple, putting in above average performances on a consistent basis. If he can do that for one or two seasons, he'll turn into a top defender, if not a top footballer.

He seems to do well against Chelsea, either because he's not expected to do much and the pressure's off, or he relishes the physical challenge. He and Faye snuffed Drogba out pretty effectively.

It's still heart in mouth time whenever the ball's at his feet though.

In some cases it's easier to defend in situations like today, large portions of the game played in our 3rd which made it hard for Chelsea to pass the ball around in and around our penalty are, it also makes for plenty of blocks and tackles but less emphasis on positioning and knowing where your man is which is more important when the game is played more end to end.

Guest Jawesome

What was it that he did so well today?  I thought he was average.  Did what he's supposed to do and no more.

With Faye he did a great job on Drogba today.

Been much better in the run-in, but I'd still look to replace him if possible. Dunne would be perfect, for the money he'd cost.

Please don't bite my head off.

I remember at least 2 quality blocks and the majority of the time any tackles, blocks or possesion won it seemed to be Taylor the one doing it.

If thats average I will settle for average every week.

Guest Knightrider

With Faye he did a great job on Drogba today.

Been much better in the run-in, but I'd still look to replace him if possible. Dunne would be perfect, for the money he'd cost.

Please don't bite my head off.

I'd rather replace Faye above Taylor, who once again, despite his experience and some would say quality advantage, was outshone by a defender many regard as shite or average. I'm not knocking Faye because he had a reasonably good game and has done well since joining, he's turning out to be a pretty good signing considering how much he cost. But all things considered, it shouldn't be Taylor taking charge of the back-four or standing out. Faye left his position absent a few times either by choice which means he made the wrong decision or by being dragged out by a blue shirt which means he was outplayed by his opponent, far too much for my liking. Indeed the opening goal came from such a moment. Reckless is the word I'd use. All he had to do was hold his position, stay firm and let Malouda come to him. You then defend the second ball. You're risking a penalty, a sending off or as happened, a free kick by rushing to the ball and player like that. Desperate defending from someone who should know better. I'm being ultra critical I know but I'm trying to highlight what I call, his flaws. That said, ideally I'd replace the two of them and that goes for them all, if that means better players playing in the side. Dunne btw would represent a better player, he's very underrated and a very good Premiership defender in my opinion.

Think everyone is to harsh.

Don´t make any mistake at all and has been really solid in the past few weeks. Get him a contract and he will be a great player for us next year.

Faye-Taylor is a really favorite center-block for me. They have really impressed me. If people think this is average. Then I can´t wait to see a good defence :snod: :smitten:

Guest Knightrider

I remember at least 2 quality blocks and the majority of the time any tackles, blocks or possesion won it seemed to be Taylor the one doing it.

If thats average I will settle for average every week.

Aye, he was dominant. In the air, in the tackle and positionally. Drogba often hit a brick wall in Taylor and others too, like Anelka. He was composed throughout and very strong. He needs to watch his distribution though, he took one or two chances on the ball. You're a defender Taylor, not a playmaker. I'm all for players trying to play the ball, but that's not and never will be his strength.