Steven Taylor

Tooj

STEVEN Taylor has hit back at reports he is heading for the St James's Park exit door.

The Newcastle United defender was today tipped to lead a January transfer window exodus, despite having just signed a new four-year contract.

A report this morning claimed 11 players – including Taylor, Michael Owen, Shay Given and Mark Viduka – want to quit in the wake of Kevin Keegan's departure.

But Taylor, in the Newcastle side beaten 3-1 by West Ham at Upton Park on Saturday, is adamant his future is on Tyneside, despite the turmoil which is engulfing the club.

He told the Gazette: "I don't know where this has come from – it's news to me.

"I'm happy at Newcastle United – I wouldn't have committed my future here if I wasn't.

"I just want the fans to know the players are hurting and desperate to turn things around.

"They've been fantastic and got behind us, despite everything that's been going on, and we want to give them something to shout about."

Taylor held his hands up after the Upton Park defeat, admitting "sloppy" defending had cost United dearly.

West Ham stormed to a 2-0 half-time lead thanks to Italian journeyman David Di Michele.

And just eight minutes into the second half Newcastle were dead and buried, after Matthew Etherington added a third.

Michael Owen struck back midway through the half, but the game was already lost.

Chris Hughton's beleaguered side now go into Wednesday night's Carling Cup tie at home to Tottenham Hotspur on the back of three demoralising Premier League defeats.

The sequence has also left United second from bottom of the league.

A frustrated Taylor left east London on Saturday replaying the three goals back in his mind, believing he and his team-mates could have done more to stop them.

For West Ham's second, Di Michele was given too much time to line up another effort by Taylor after his initial shot rebounded back off goalkeeper Shay Given.

"We lost an early goal, and were disappointed with the second," Taylor told the Gazette.

"It was in my area. Shay's made a save, and the ball's gone backwards. I've gone back to the line when I should have pushed out to the ball.

"I'm used to protecting the goal more than anything. I had a habit of doing that when I was young, and I did it again.

"The third goal killed us. We've conceded three sloppy goals, and we've got to put it right. We've only got ourselves to blame.

"We're desperately disappointed, but the good thing is we can put it right on Wednesday."

Fair play to him to admit he was at fault for the goal..

People seriously need to cut him some slack, he's still 22 and got years ahead of him, he'll get better by time.

It's nice to know he knows it is something he has to cut out. It totally eliminates any chance of an offside when he does that as well.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Our central defense is the least to worry about these days if you ask me! We have no better options imo, and altogether I have been satisfied with Colo/Taylor so far this season... 

Taylor was at fault for the 2nd goal, but so was Coloccini. I know that Taylor is alot of times in fault for goals, but i believe in him! He's still young and maybe we should've brought Campbell when Roeder was here. Taylor needs to develop his focussing more and more. I think he and Colo can be a great defensive pariing for us as long as we get this team back on track. Both have looked good until West Ham but people seem to forget that, and the off-field problems isn't helping the player no matter how professional they're!

Taylor was at fault for the 2nd goal, but so was Coloccini. I know that Taylor is alot of times in fault for goals, but i believe in him! He's still young and maybe we should've brought Campbell when Roeder was here. Taylor needs to develop his focussing more and more. I think he and Colo can be a great defensive pariing for us as long as we get this team back on track. Both have looked good until West Ham but people seem to forget that, and the off-field problems isn't helping the player no matter how professional they're!

maybe?

Coloccini turned his back, but the ball was already in the net just about. They can never be a great defensive duo when one of them is s**** and hasn't improved since he was 19

good before West Ham? so you're forgetting the fact that Taylor was shocking against Arsenal and Bolton

He's at fault every f***ing week.

without fail. Yet some fools on here would still rather put his development before the team

Hilarious how this and other similar myths continue getting churned out every time Taylor is mentioned. Who the fuck does, honestly? The same as when people "excuse Taylor cos he's a Geordie", that's utter toss n'all. :lol: He gets slated on here more than many other players in our squad.

without fail. Yet some fools on here would still rather put his development before the team

Hilarious how this and other similar myths continue getting churned out every time Taylor is mentioned. Who the f*** does, honestly? The same as when people "excuse Taylor cos he's a Geordie", that's utter toss n'all. :lol: He gets slated on here more than many other players in our squad.

York a lot of people on here (and especially at the game) are happy for him to be in the team, it's nowt short of madness. How many times does he want to let us down

Hilarious how this and other similar myths continue getting churned out every time Taylor is mentioned. Who the f*** does, honestly? The same as when people "excuse Taylor cos he's a Geordie", that's utter toss n'all. :lol: He gets slated on here more than many other players in our squad.

York a lot of people on here (and especially at the game) are happy for him to be in the team, it's nowt short of madness. How many times does he want to let us down

Everything you post on here is exaggerated horribly. You have said you think Cacapa is 5 times the player Taylor is and Ronaldo (obese crock legend one) would still be 10 times better than Viduka. Get some fucking perspective.

Milner and Taylor have been our designated scapegoats for a while since we got rid of the easy targets like Bramble/Babayaro/Carr.

There's been a great deal of revisionist history done on Milner since he left. I expect the same thing to happen to Taylor if/when he moves on.

Milner and Taylor have been our designated scapegoats for a while since we got rid of the easy targets like Bramble/Babayaro/Carr.

There's been a great deal of revisionist history done on Milner since he left. I expect the same thing to happen to Taylor if/when he moves on.

I think comparing the two is very harsh. I think Milner lived off goals like Man Utd and glimmers of potential, Taylor hasn't had moments like that he can call on so has been judged far harsher when really hes quite a good defender who needs flaws ironing out.

I think comparing the two is very harsh. I think Milner lived off goals like Man Utd and glimmers of potential, Taylor hasn't had moments like that he can call on so has been judged far harsher when really hes quite a good defender who needs flaws ironing out.

His biggest flaw is leaving his man and heading kamikaze style back towards his own goal line. How he's going to master such a massive lack of judgement I don't know tbh.

Everything you post on here is exaggerated horribly. You have said you think Cacapa is 5 times the player Taylor is and Ronaldo (obese crock legend one) would still be 10 times better than Viduka. Get some f***ing perspective.

I also admitted both were exaggerations so I dont know what your point is.

Ronaldo would be comfortably better than Viduka. An overweight Ronaldo still scores goals when you give him the ball, Viduka only does it against the lesser defences