Clear the Air Talks ?

NE5

Guest Knightrider

Reading between the lines it appears that Ashley is very ambitious (which is a good thing, something positive), KK suggests as much by stating "the owner thinks we can bridge the gap but I don't", and we all know KK is ambitious.

So for me this will play  out like this.

You want to bridge the gap do you? Get my best players tied down, top players want to play with top players, get Owen's contract sorted out ASAP so I can tell targets who they'll be playing alongside next season.

You want to bridge the gap do you? Let me speak to our targets. I'll convince them.

You want to bridge the gap do you? OK, how much are you prepared to spend and I'll tell you if we can kick on with this kind of money or not.

These are the things I think KK will push for or talk about.

This is what he's after in my opinion, what has lead him to rant and kick up this fuss about ambition, money, the top 4 etc.

Again, this is all pre-meditated for me and designed to force a sit down of all the parties, now that we are safe and the season is all but over, and he deliberately used our defeat to Chelsea, a club some way off from us, a club we should aspire towards, as a vehicle to push this.

Me, I'm happy for him to do this as it's a method of his he's used several times in the past and I trust him to go into any talks and be persuasive enough to get what he wants.

And if he doesn't, well then Ashley and co can f*** off.

And what happens to the club when Ashley & Co 'F--- Off '!??

Suppose someone like Shinawatra takes over and fancies a new manager ...

Will you want THEM to 'F-- Off' too ?

Lets get real here - Ashley has a reputation for getting his own way, and being completely ruthless about doing so(have you read how he stitched Whelan & Co up about price fixing...largely because Whelan tried to take the p--- out of him and belittle him....?)

Don't fall into the trap of thinking KK can totally rule the roost with Ashley, because I for one doubt that very much - Ashley is unlikely to fire him for this, but you can bet your boots that he won't forget and if anything like this crops up again, he will be planning his moves for future ref - look what happened with Mourinho and Abramovitch - if anyone looked safe it was Jose, but he went and Chelsea are still in the running for the title..Ashley will not have overlooked that fact.

He is the owner whether anyone likes it or not, and can do as he pleases.

It might pay people to remember that - Ashley has more power over the club than Shepherd did....

I don't mean fuck off as in selling up and getting out of Toon if you will (although if this leads to a new manager, I would lose all faith in his ability to run Newcastle United), I mean if it comes between him and KK, I know where my loyalties lie and I would be extremely disappointed if Ashley, an intelligent and ambitious guy, decided to make the manager unhappy for whatever reason because in KK he has a man who can deliver what he wants for this club, success in style. NE5 is right in many ways that Ashley and co are not experienced at running a club much less NUFC, so they should give KK carte blanch within reason to run the club as he sees fit, and if that means for example, getting rid of Wise and Co or changing his plans for the club, so be it. The manager is the leader of the club and everything should stem from him.

Anyway I don't think it will come to that, this whole debate has deliberately been sparked by KK to force a sit down with everyone so he knows where he stands, they know where he stands, and he knows where they stand, with the final outcome hopefully being a course of action to get this club back into contention which is where I'm sure KK would like to take us, despite his rather defeatist comments at the weekend, defeatist for him because top 5 for me would be like winning the league as things stand in our current situation and something I'd be over the fucking moon with which I'm sure we all would.

I don't think this is all about money either, KK knows there is money and lots of it, but this is his way of saying "if you want top 4 Mike, money alone isn't going to do it for you, you need to tie up my best players on new deals, you need to act quicker in the transfer market, you need to push the boat out more and you need to let me, the manager, have more of a say in these things, in particular meeting and talking to players." This is what all this is all about I feel.

Fingers crossed eh.

PS the whole media coverage of this is nothing short of hysterical. The man had a rant after a defeat and this is the reaction? Madness. The media and some section of fans.

Guest nufc_geordie

It would be easier if people just ignored what is going on until after this so called meeting as nobody has got a f*cking clue what is going on. We don't know the agenda, we don't know the reasons for it being called. All this speculation is playing into the hands of the media. Lets just chill and see what happens this afternoon.

If anything it should be Wise who is read the riot act for...

a) Not signing up Owen (despite KK wanting it sorted ages ago).

b) Not selling the club to Woodgate (he opted to go to Tottenham).

c) Not seeling the club to Modric (see above).

Regardless of European football I think if Keegan had been totally involved in the transfers above he would have had the charm and charisma to sell the club to players like he did to Shearer, Ginola, Asprila (sp.), Les Ferdinand etc.

For me Dennis Wise does not have the necessary charisma and charm to effectively do his job and until that is resolved KK will just end up getting fustrated standing by and watching his targets move on to other places.

I'm fairly sure it's not Wise's job to do any of those things you've mentioned. I thought it was Veteres job to go and get the players, Wise to find players, and Morts to tie down current players to new deals.

Anyway a bit harsh to blame Wise for missing out on Woodgate when he was appointed a day after the latter had signed for Spurs...

I still haven't forgiven Wise for signing Boumsong.  He should of been sacked for that, the looser.

"PS the whole media coverage of this is nothing short of hysterical. The man had a rant after a defeat and this is the reaction? Madness. The media and some section of fans."

The media are totally obsessed with Keegan & Ashley, I see Shiwanatra says the Man City team should bow to him once they've shaken hands with their opponents. I found that gem hidden away somewhere - but can you imagine if that was Ashley? They'd be calling him a madman and a power freak and it would be headline news on the front page.

I also wonder if their obsession puts players off (yes I know they can hardly read) - after all Bentley was going on about how pathetic we were the other week wasn't he? And Taylor said the other England players were having a go at him for all the fuss when Allardyce was sacked.

I also wonder if their obsession puts players off (yes I know they can hardly read) - after all Bentley was going on about how pathetic we were the other week wasn't he? And Taylor said the other England players were having a go at him for all the fuss when Allardyce was sacked.

We have the media to thank for that.

If that Sun story was true than Keegan would quit.  There is no way Keegan would accept or do any of those things.  Not even pledge his loyalty to the club because he knows he doesn't need to give that to Mike Ashley when the fan's know we have his loyalty already.  If Keegan did quit i also think there would and should be mass revolt on Ashley.

Of course it's all bollocks anyway, i'm just dealing in the realms of what if we lived in an alternate universe where the sun doesn't spout constant s****.

There won't be ANY revolt by fans if KK leaves unless the club appoint a replacement who has no real credentials - when did NUFC fans EVER boycott the club apart from when SJH was battling McKeag for control in 1988 ..? Why was there no boycott when SBR was fired and Souness appointed ? It just won't happen..

I don't believe KK is about to be sacked unless it gets really get heated at this meeting and things get out of hand and in any case, Ashley would realise that it would be very risky to fire KK unless he had a real top-notcher like Mourinho lined up.

Hopefully this will blow over, but people need to learn from it....

I wouldn't even consider Woodgate as one we really 'missed' out on in all fairness, don't think coming back here has ever been on his mind.

All his 'keep a peg in the dressing room for me' bollocks is just that, no different to kissing the badge then doing one at the end of a season

I've got me ear pressed against the wall in the room next door and I am currently sending this message via my blackberry ...

They sound happy! There has been a lot of laughter so far, I think they are looking through this mornings papers.

Hang on ... just heard a foreignish sounding voice ... there's someone else in there. I think it's a player!

Yup ... I can now confirm they've got a spanish or portuguese player in there, just heard the accent.

Oh my gosh it's Veloso! Just heard hisname mentioned!

This is an exclusive folks. Veloso is coming mark my words.

Iron clad and nailed on!

I've got me ear pressed against the wall in the room next door and I am currently sending this message via my blackberry ...

They sound happy! There has been a lot of laughter so far, I think they are looking through this mornings papers.

Hang on ... just heard a foreignish sounding voice ... there's someone else in there. I think it's a player!

Yup ... I can now confirm they've got a spanish or portuguese player in there, just heard the accent.

Iron clad and nailed on!

:lol:

Honestly the worst attempt at being funny I've ever seen on here :lol:

I think this all stems from Ashley being in a bit of a dilemma really.

Of course he wants the club to be challenging for the top. Successful businessmen like him don't usually sit back and accept second best. However, being the able businessman that he is, he also wants to run the club as a valid financial concern...and the two are in some ways mutually exclusive.

Apart from maybe Arsenal (and they too have spent big to get where they are) the top four don't seem to be being run as normal businesses. ManU and Liverpool have huge debts, and it seems to be common sense that they can't defy gravity forever, and Chelsea are bankrolled by a benefactor that makes Ashley look poor. With this in mind it appears that there's no way we can break in to that top four soon unless we spend huge and adopt a debt culture as well, in the hopes that it will pay off.

Ashley is probably being pulled in two opposite directions: The Keegan, spend really big and challenge the top dogs soon mindset, and the other philosophy of building gradual foundations, keeping the finances in control and eventually challenging for the top in five or six years, which Mort probably favours.

I've got a feeling that this meeting will decide which way NUFC will be going. I've no idea what the outcome will be but we all know that Ashley is a bit of a gambler and Keegan can be very persuasive :)

That's the one. I urge everyone to read it to get an amazing insight into KK, NUFC and that era. It offers a good insight into the kind of man KK is, he has to be the boss, he is very much hands on, hates losing, is ultra competitive, very very critical of himself, has amazingly high standards, unattainable often, is deluded but in a good way, and above all else, is very very clever when it comes to manipulating people which is ultimately where his amazing motivation techniques stem from. His mood swings are legendary, and they stem from his passion, and you will realise just why NUFC and he fit so well. Read that book and tell me you don't love the man.

If anybody is interested in a good read try here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnificent-Obsession-Keegan-Newcastle-Million/dp/074753750X

just ordered it, looks good. just about to start reading his autobiography, got it in hmv for 2 quid if anyone fancies it. by the way, am i the only one who likes the look of this? “I’m looking forward to the next three years – at least. I’ll only be 60 then.”

i've always wished his contract was 5 years tbh

Iron clad and nailed on!

Honestly the worst attempt at being funny I've ever seen on here :lol:

That's what makes it so funny though right  :pow:

I'm a genius ...

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

3.0 out of 5 stars Most fans will learn nothing new, 22 April 2003

Although not a Newcastle fan, I did enjoy reading this tale of the ups and downs of returning messiah Kevin Keegan and his five or so year whirlwind stint as Newcastle boss. The subject itself is interesting enough and everybody loves a gallant loser. Especially one as funny as Keegan was during his "I'd just luv it" tirade against Alex Ferguson.

Despite this, the book told me very little which I did not know. If a Newcastle fan was to read this presumably even less would be learned. The writing style is the kind you'd expect from a football journalist, full of straightforward footy-speak and clanging metaphors.

While I would recommend this to any wishing to learn about the period covered, those who should be its core audience will most likely have no need of it.

----

Think I'll wait for snippets on here.

Bit off tangent but I'm perplexed as to what Wise actually does?  Are people saying he is effectively Chief Scout but gets a Directors title and money?

I (and most people on here) could be a director of a company within an hour if I wanted.  The title means nothing

If he wins, there will be a canny few u-turns when these "trophy signings" walk through the door, thats for sure.

The club is in an entirely different situation to what it was under Shepherd. Amongst other things, the club is now debt free and it is owned by a BILLIONAIRE, who is prepared to put his own money in to finance things, unlike before when it was owned by a group of people who were nowhere near as rich and were not prepared to back the club with their own money.

It's not a u-turn to recommend to a tramp that he doesn't get a loan so he can spend a night at a posh hotel, then change your advice after the tramp wins the lottery. The situation has changed and the advice has changed accordingly.

I know you know this, whether you're prepared to admit it publicly or not is another matter, so you can PM me your response if you want.

Indi wades in like a blind man running into no-man's land.

indi's going away for the weekend and thinks it would be amusing to come back on Sunday and survey the death and destruction his post has lead to. :D

NE5 knows I love him really. ;)

If he wins, there will be a canny few u-turns when these "trophy signings" walk through the door, thats for sure.

The club is in an entirely different situation to what it was under Shepherd. Amongst other things, the club is now debt free and it is owned by a BILLIONAIRE, who is prepared to put his own money in to finance things, unlike before when it was owned by a group of people who were nowhere near as rich and were not prepared to back the club with their own money.

It's not a u-turn to recommend to a tramp that he doesn't get a loan so he can spend a night at a posh hotel, then change your advice after the tramp wins the lottery. The situation has changed and the advice has changed accordingly.

I know you know this, whether you're prepared to admit it publicly or not is another matter, so you can PM me your response if you want.

No, no, nothing but a full and frank public airing is needed. Say no to PM's.  :lol:

I can understand the tabloids loving this story btw, but why is it a headline article on the BBC? It was the top story on Five Live this morning too.

Are they expecting some kind of statement to be made? Dickheads.