The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know people have been going on about him on here for a good while, but tonight was the first time I saw VDV play, and I was mighty impressed with him. Lovely touch and vision, surely destined for a top club after the tournament?

I think Sneijder's better.

I really like Sneijder too, been terrific when I've seen him for Madrid.

Guest Jawesome

I know people have been going on about him on here for a good while, but tonight was the first time I saw VDV play, and I was mighty impressed with him. Lovely touch and vision, surely destined for a top club after the tournament?

Hmmm not sure, he's been highly rated for years now and went to Hamburg? I'm not 100% but I think they did well in the German league last season.

Yes he was one of the four best players in Germany last season, along with Toni, Ribery and Diego.  I thought Toni played shit tonight though.

Hmmm not sure, he's been highly rated for years now and went to Hamburg? I'm not 100% but I think they did well in the German league last season.

I think he scored something like 10 goals for Hamburg in the league, not too bad, a player that i like..I like players that can keep possession because of the technical quality some have when it comes to first touch and passing and all that..

The BBC's coverage really pisses all over ITV.

I'm gutted we're not there but... we're not, so I really don't give a shit about Capello and/or England at the moment.

I think he scored something like 10 goals for Hamburg in the league, not too bad, a player that i like..I like players that can keep possession because of the technical quality some have when it comes to first touch and passing and all that..

Yeah he looks class to me but there must be some reason that the big teams don't take a gamble on him. Temperament?

I'm gutted we're not there but... we're not, so I really don't give a shit about Capello and/or England at the moment.

I was just talking about the pundits, not sure why they both keep showing Capello though, where's George Burley?  :nope:

I hate ITV, but at least they're not paying Steve fucking McClaren for his opinions.

I hate ITV, but at least they're not paying Steve fucking McClaren for his opinions.

or Mark "I'm shit"Bright.

:kasper: If he's on BBC I retract any previous comments.

Guest LucaAltieri

Pirlo is still a joy to watch, virtually flawless in possession all night.

Camoranesi was the most lively player Italy had on the night. Even the wrong side of 30 I'd love to see him at Newcastle. Always driving forward from the midfield, exactly what we need.

Guest Brummiemag

Holland played well tonight. What impressed me most was the fact that even when they were 2 goals up they continued to create chances and it paid dividends tonight. Its good for the tournament and I hope they go on to win it   

i always thought that the italians would struggle without cannavaro who is a rock for them. dutch were outstanding though, is there any chance of getting van der vaart. the guy plays for hamburg and they are never champions league or uefa cup?

They played in the CL two seasons ago, in the UEFA-Cup last season and will next season.

Anyway, he gave an interview today where he said that he wants to move to a European top team.

Holland played well tonight. What impressed me most was the fact that even when they were 2 goals up they continued to create chances and it paid dividends tonight. Its good for the tournament and I hope they go on to win it 

Holland were fantastic tonite and I loved their attacking mentality even after their 2 goal cussion! So glad we actually witnessed a good game tonite after the drab France gave us.

that engelaar has looked very good as well

Excellent game he's had. Classy midfelder with great prescence.

yep - could be be a realistic target?

28, plays for twente, not  a top club - looks just like what we need

Coach at Twente moved to Schalke and took Engelaar with him promptly, before anyone else came in for him after this tourney. The coach at Twente converted him to a DM from an AM, so he was loyal to him.

Deal isn't finalised yet.

"A player leaving the field of play because of his momentum during play, is not deemed to have left without the Referee's permission and can therefore re-enter without the Referee's permission. In this instance, although the defender is off the field of play, (and until he returns to the field of play), he should be deemed to be standing on the goal-line (in the field of play) when considering offside. The Assistant Referee should stand in line with the last opponent on the field of play (which in this case will probably be the defending goalkeeper). When deciding offside in this scenario, the two last defending opponents are the defender who has travelled off the field of play, and the defending player who is nearest to the goal line on the field of play (which in all probability will be the goalkeeper)."

I can see why folk are confused: how many times have we seen an attacker stay deliberately off the pitch in order to avoid being offside? I suppose that is an 'interfering with play' issue.

Wonder how much that Afellay lad who hit the bar would cost. When he played against Spurs for PSV, he absolutely took the piss.

He looked very lively, and left-footed as well.

Italy have a pretty slow team. I think they are going out in the group stages.

"A player leaving the field of play because of his momentum during play, is not deemed to have left without the Referee's permission and can therefore re-enter without the Referee's permission. In this instance, although the defender is off the field of play, (and until he returns to the field of play), he should be deemed to be standing on the goal-line (in the field of play) when considering offside. The Assistant Referee should stand in line with the last opponent on the field of play (which in this case will probably be the defending goalkeeper). When deciding offside in this scenario, the two last defending opponents are the defender who has travelled off the field of play, and the defending player who is nearest to the goal line on the field of play (which in all probability will be the goalkeeper)."

Nice one. :thup:

Good to see ITV up to scratch with their laws of the game.

Nothing new there. It never seizes to amaze me the way so many professional commentators and pundits on TV are shaky on the rules.

Nice one. :thup:

Good to see ITV up to scratch with their laws of the game.

Nothing new there. It never seizes to amaze me the way so many professional commentators and pundits on TV are shaky on the rules.

No one else picked it up like did they?